What's new

Projector Challenged (1 Viewer)

jbryngelson

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Bryngelson
Hey everyone, I have a great opportunity to pick up one of these JVC projectors and need input. There is a "Super Secret" price coming out of one of the JVC partners, and all are at incredibly low prices. I hate to spend good money after bad chasing the last 2-5% performance of any AV product. Let me know your recommendations It is time I upgrade from my old JVC RS-20!

JVC-RS1100/2100/3100 (All within my reach)
Maybe - Sony XW6000ES or Epson LS12000, but I lean to JVC (Good Experience).

Jeff in Detroit

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think he's asking for recommendations about the five projector models he listed and doesn't necessarily want to buy the most expensive if it's only a marginally better performer than a lower-priced runner up.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Don't see why you wouldn't just go for the RS3100 if you can readily afford it (w/out compromising anything else that is)... but otherwise, I guess RS2100 if you plan to keep it a very long time or something (for the laser) or RS1100 if you're fine w/ staying w/ bulb-based PJ -- there's probably not really more than the "2-5% performance" diff you mention between those 2 (or maybe even all 3) JVCs... and I don't see why bother considering the Sony or Epson at all, if you really can afford the RS3100, but prefer to save some $$$ (and probably just go w/ the lower JVCs).

_Man_

jbryngelson

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Bryngelson
I think he's asking for recommendations about the five projector models he listed and doesn't necessarily want to buy the most expensive if it's only a marginally better performer than a lower-priced runner up.
Correct!

jbryngelson

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Bryngelson
Don't see why you wouldn't just go for the RS3100 if you can readily afford it (w/out compromising anything else that is)... but otherwise, I guess RS2100 if you plan to keep it a very long time or something (for the laser) or RS1100 if you're fine w/ staying w/ bulb-based PJ -- there's probably not really more than the "2-5% performance" diff you mention between those 2 (or maybe even all 3) JVCs... and I don't see why bother considering the Sony or Epson at all, if you really can afford the RS3100, but prefer to save some $$$ (and probably just go w/ the lower JVCs).

_Man_
So would you choose the 2100 over the 1100 as they are nearly the same? Very different technology....

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So would you choose the 2100 over the 1100 as they are nearly the same? Very different technology....

I should probably have mentioned that I don't actually have direct experience w/ these PJs (yet?) and am really just going by reviews, etc I've seen (mostly from when I was still weighing about near/foreseeable future upgrade), so all I know and am aware of you can probably find and distill yourself from the net (w/ some effort of course)... unless you somehow happen to value my ability to do that for you, heh... ;):D

Having said that, I would probably go for the 1100 myself assuming there's still a very huge price diff (presumably not quite that much lower than MSRP diff) even after whatever secret price discount you're getting... and use the savings on (many) other things, including (periodic?) ISF calibration(s), probably an eventual PJ upgrade several years down the line, especially if you don't plan to put tons of hours (vs mostly just 2-3) everyday on it (to make laser more worthwhile)...

Also, check out the comments over here, especially about tolerance issues (that also makes one wonder about spending the extra on the next higher model JVC):

IF the JVC tolerance issue is as prevalent indicated and you can actually try multiple units (calibrated in your own space) before keeping, that may well make choosing the 1100 that much better me thinks...

Yes, trying multiple samples might seem crazy for displays, but these aren't inexpensive products. I would hope there's some allowance for ensuring one gets a good copy/sample -- and allowance for something like that should really be part of high end A/V gear anyway... and has long been so at least for audio (as well as some others like photo, etc).

Also, depending on exactly how well light-controlled your HT is, the small diffs between those higher end PJs may well get lost in actual practice.... so don't forget to account for that as well (and probably factor that into your bottomline costs)...

And for my $$$, I'd also wanna make sure my audio side isn't overlooked while spending the extra $$$ on the video side -- you made no mentions of your audio side.

Of course, since you're coming from a JVC RS20, I suppose those latter points probably go w/out saying, heh...

:cheers:

_Man_

Last edited:

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
I only have personal experience with JVC projectors and currently own an RS3100. I read that JVC’s have better blacks. This measured advantage is minimized unless your theater is completely light controlled. Published specifications tend to be much better than actual measurements after proper calibration.

There was a recent projector shootout that compares the projectors you are considering.

https://www.thescreeningroomav.com/single-post/results-of-the-tsr-laser-projector-shootout

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Depends on viewing interests, room setup, budget goal, among others.

Simple answer is get the NZ9 if budget readily allows.

But if you want to save money and/have a bright room where deep black floor won’t be seen, get the LS12000, as it’s great and much cheaper.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
I agree ^, but other very excellent long throw projector choices are JVC's NZ8 or the NZ7. I also love all of Sony's projectors, the VPL-XW5000ES is on a aggressive promotion for $4,998 and also includes a $250 store credit.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Yes ^ you will LOVE JVC's flagship NZ9 projector! Check with your favorite dealers to see their promotional offers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks