What's new

4k Projectors Buyers and Owners Thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to. As much as I love Home Theater and tinkering, I have limited time these days. I'm happy to let the player [in my case, Oppo 203] handle this. Meanwhile, my HTPC will coexist for non-UHD viewing which is by far the majority for me.
I hear you. I don't know what the shape of my device world will be this time next year.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What kind of 3D does JVC projection use? Passive or active-shutter?

If the latter, would any active-shutter glasses work with JVC or do they have their own proprietary brand?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
What kind of 3D does JVC projection use? Passive or active-shutter?

If the latter, would any active-shutter glasses work with JVC or do they have their own proprietary brand?

They use active shutter glasses.

You can use other brands of glasses. But it is important to look into whether or not your screen retains polarization.

JVC polorizes its light in one orientation, and most of the industry seems to polorizes their light in the other orientation. If your screen surface does not retain polorization then this would have no impact on the image. However, if your screen does retain polorization then you need to be sure your glasses have the right orientation for the polorization if you aren’t using JVC’s glasses.

If your glasses have the wrong orientation (and the screen retains polorization) then the image through the glasses would be too dark to watch. If you turned the glasses 90 degrees you would see the image brighten up significantly.

The MSRP of the original JVC glasses is $180.
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?&feature_id=01&model_id=MDL102180

Expand makes lower cost glasses that are compatible with JVC. I believe they make one that do not have the JVC polorization orientation (which would be usable on many different brand projectors) which is the cheapest option and they also make one that specifically matches the JVC orientation which is more expensive but still less than the official JVC glasses.

I found this recommendation from another JVC user on how to check out if the cheaper glass would work:

This kit here includes the RF transmitter and 1 pair of Xpand RF105 glasses.

https://www.amazon.com/EX105BT-Shutt...dp/B009ZW7SR2/

once you buy the kit, check out 3D in your setup. If you rotate the glasses and don't see any change in brightness, then your screen isn't maintaining polarization and won't require the expensive JVC specific Xpand glasses.

If this works for you, then each extra pair of Xpand 105 glasses is only $40. (Looks now to be about $30)

https://www.amazon.com/XPAND-X105-RF-X1-Rechargeable-Bluetooth-Glasses/dp/B00BFO4XSA/

So it seems to make sense to try that first. If your screen did retain polorization and you needed to use glasses with the JVC orientation then you’d have to look at the more expensive ones (but still cheaper than JVC’s).

I’d have to dig more to find a link to those.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sean,

The information you have provided here is immense. I thank you so much!

In the next 48 hours, I am going to let you know which screen I have so we can figure this out.

I am still leaning towards perhaps getting this projector, though it will strap me for cash for months.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
[BEGIN RANT] I've been trying so hard over the past year or so to justify full 4K. In my Theater everything, save my projector, is already on board. For me it's not the cost. I can afford more or less whatever I want but I still need to justify the purchase and this is where the difficulty arises. Clearly UHD is awesome with proper content but where is that content?

I know many titles are now released in 4K yet [from what I've read] even these are usually only mastered in 2K. Also, I find myself preferring classics [too many to name] despite "quality" almost exclusively as opposed to the blockbuster releases such as the current Marvel films. Don't get me wrong, I love these too and I buy them. I'm actually buying only 4K releases for new films but this doesn't make up for the equation as I see it. The 4K side promises [potentially] awesome sound and picture quality with improved resolution, HDR and increased color gamut. On the non-4K side we have classic content that never needed pristine quality to sell because the message [while possibly grainy] resonated like a cannon. Let's face it, there's just no substitute for certain masterpieces. The ones I place on this level, I would watch in 480i or lower because the beauty was in the performances, not the freckles on the actor/actresses faces. [/END RANT]

Should I buy a 4K projector to round out my Theater?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sean,

I have a Carada screen. I don't know if you can derive any information from that or not as to how well the 3D will be if I decide to go with the JVC.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Sean,

I have a Carada screen. I don't know if you can derive any information from that or not as to how well the 3D will be if I decide to go with the JVC.

Can’t guarantee I could find out for sure, but I can try. Is there any more specific info on the specific screen material besides the manufacturer (Carada) like high contrast grey, cinema white, brilliant white, etc... That may make a difference.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Can’t guarantee I could find out for sure, but I can try. Is there any more specific info on the specific screen material besides the manufacturer (Carada) like high contrast grey, cinema white, brilliant white, etc... That may make a difference.

Give me some time on this. I'll try to find out in the next 24 hours.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Carada is out of business. Just found out that old news. From what little information I can find from a Google search their screens (or at least the ones mentioned) do not retain polarization.

But I have to say, I am not happy that this is even a possible issue with JVC projectors. Makes me a bit nervous.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
[BEGIN RANT] I've been trying so hard over the past year or so to justify full 4K. In my Theater everything, save my projector, is already on board. For me it's not the cost. I can afford more or less whatever I want but I still need to justify the purchase and this is where the difficulty arises. Clearly UHD is awesome with proper content but where is that content?

I know many titles are now released in 4K yet [from what I've read] even these are usually only mastered in 2K. Also, I find myself preferring classics [too many to name] despite "quality" almost exclusively as opposed to the blockbuster releases such as the current Marvel films. Don't get me wrong, I love these too and I buy them. I'm actually buying only 4K releases for new films but this doesn't make up for the equation as I see it. The 4K side promises [potentially] awesome sound and picture quality with improved resolution, HDR and increased color gamut. On the non-4K side we have classic content that never needed pristine quality to sell because the message [while possibly grainy] resonated like a cannon. Let's face it, there's just no substitute for certain masterpieces. The ones I place on this level, I would watch in 480i or lower because the beauty was in the performances, not the freckles on the actor/actresses faces. [/END RANT]

Should I buy a 4K projector to round out my Theater?

Yes, you should. I had the same nagging feeling this year as the pixel shift PJ amrket livened up and it took me ony one longish test viewing at a well set up HT retailer in the city to convince me the to guy the PJ I had favored from a lot of research which was perfect for me. Then I shopped around and got it for a grand under retail. THe biggest kickup for me with a library of around 6000 discs is the terrific boost to Blu Ray with 4K uprezzing (using the Oppo 203 but I also have the panny 900, which is limited by region code for Blu). You suddenly realize you're bringing your library a new lease of life with the hgiher rez, and enlarged color spacing and higher dynamic range. I was not able to pick or afford a 3D compliant PJ but I still have the Sony VPL 65 sitting in the back room and the 60inch LED does 3D as well. Dive in John.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Yes, you should. I had the same nagging feeling this year as the pixel shift PJ amrket livened up and it took me ony one longish test viewing at a well set up HT retailer in the city to convince me the to guy the PJ I had favored from a lot of research which was perfect for me. Then I shopped around and got it for a grand under retail. THe biggest kickup for me with a library of around 6000 discs is the terrific boost to Blu Ray with 4K uprezzing (using the Oppo 203 but I also have the panny 900, which is limited by region code for Blu). You suddenly realize you're bringing your library a new lease of life with the hgiher rez, and enlarged color spacing and higher dynamic range. I was not able to pick or afford a 3D compliant PJ but I still have the Sony VPL 65 sitting in the back room and the 60inch LED does 3D as well. Dive in John.

Thanks @david hare

Which projector did you preview/choose and which city? Details please.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
On a side note: since Projectors don't support Dolby Vision, I realized that I can stop worrying about whether my Marantz 7702mkII will ever get its DV upgrade. :)

I think you'll have a pleasant surprise the next time you fire it up!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think you'll have a pleasant surprise the next time you fire it up!
Yeah I heard it went live today. :)

On my long-term todo list is to figure out if the mkII is fully UHD compatible or if it doesn’t do anything necessary and requires replacement to go 4K.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Yeah I heard it went live today. :)

On my long-term todo list is to figure out if the mkII is fully UHD compatible...

Well, according to Marantz it is fully 4K compatible. If you want 8K then maybe not.

upload_2018-10-1_21-32-0.png

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
More practically, if there’s any resale value on a 7702 in a year, I’ll take a look at upgrading. Otherwise, leave well enough alone.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
More practically, if there’s any resale value on a 7702 in a year, I’ll take a look at upgrading. Otherwise, leave well enough alone.

Honestly, I couldn't be happier with my 7702 and see no reason to consider upgrading anytime soon. Things like HEOS and Alexa don't interest me and Marantz continues to support their older models with occasional firmware upgrades such as this one. I may never need Dolby Vision but I like knowing it's there. I have to say, this is one of the better purchases I have made.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks