What's new

2022-2023 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I looked up which network is doing this year’s Super Bowl. Maybe this has already been discussed a while ago, but why wasn’t Darryl Johnston promoted to the #1
analyst when Aikman left? I think Johnston is very good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I looked up which network is doing this year’s Super Bowl. Maybe this has already been discussed a while ago, but why wasn’t Darryl Johnston promoted to the #1
analyst when Aikman left? I think Johnston is very good.
I’ve heard a great deal of criticism towards Johnston being repetitive with his comments.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
So it seems the Cardinals and Colts haven’t filled their head coaching vacancy yet. The league typically has a news blackout next week, other than for the game, right?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
A bunch of articles have popped up that CBS has had it with Tony Romo. Not sure what that means, but it seems like not only do people watching the games want him gone but so does the network he signed with.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
A bunch of articles have popped up that CBS has had it with Tony Romo. Not sure what that means, but it seems like not only do people watching the games want him gone but so does the network he signed with.
I read comments about him at another site, and it seems to me he is very polarizing- some still really like him, others not so much.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So it seems the Cardinals and Colts haven’t filled their head coaching vacancy yet. The league typically has a news blackout next week, other than for the game, right?

It could mean they are targeting coaches that are coaching in the Super Bowl. I know the Colts are having an internal battle over who to hire because the owner is a clown. Not sure who the Cardinals want but Eric Bieniemy is a possibility. He'd be a nice match with Murray.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
It could mean they are targeting coaches that are coaching in the Super Bowl. I know the Colts are having an internal battle over who to hire because the owner is a clown. Not sure who the Cardinals want but Eric Bieniemy is a possibility. He'd be a nice match with Murray.
If Irsay insists on giving the job to Saturday, then the fans and GM should walk away. This possible move just reeks of stranger than fiction.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
If Irsay insists on giving the job to Saturday, then the fans and GM should walk away. This possible move just reeks of stranger than fiction.

I would guess they would talk him out of that but if he is a stubborn owner, he has final say. It's not like anybody else wants Saturday, so the fact that they have not signed him yet could mean they did convince him not to go with him. Problem is settling on a candidate. There is no QB in Indy right now, so they should get a coach in place because the rumor is they are going to draft one at the top of the draft. They have been very attached to Will Levis being their guy but now it is said they have an internal debate about that too and are trying to decide between him and C.J. Stroud.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I thought Tony Romo had potential his first two seasons, he had knowledge and enthusiasm, and his ability to predict plays was pretty cool. But instead of honing his craft he seems to have let the early accolades go to his head and has gotten steadily worse.

He got his big payday and now seems unprepared, way too casual, and extremely arrogant.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Right, but many people like to blame the GM for a bad hire instead of really holding the man in charge accountable.
Seems a bit strange to me that the owner has the final say, not just a say. Yes, a team’s owner should be concerned about how the head coach comes across to the public, but it’s the presidents of football operations and GMs that would know more about the qualifications of prospective coaches.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Seems a bit strange to me that the owner has the final say, not just a say. Yes, a team’s owner should be concerned about how the head coach comes across to the public, but it’s the presidents of football operations and GMs that would know more about the qualifications of prospective coaches.
You're talking about vain people in which all of them are billionaires now.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I wonder if the Ford family always has the final say, and mandates who the coach is. I think it was our resident Lions fan (Scott Merryfield) who posted one of the great pieces of sports trivia- a fired Lions coach never gets another chance at a head job in the NFL (if memory serves, he said this has been true since the 1940s). It was very easy to predict that the Matt Patricia hiring wouldn’t work out- a guy who publicly wore a Goodell clown nose T shirt is too immature to be a head coach.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Well, there are probably a few owners that will listen to their football people and come to a consensus. But a lot of them, as Robert points out, are not people that are interested in people telling them what to do. Some of them are just truly awful. Irsay is one of the lousy ones.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, there are probably a few owners that will listen to their football people and come to a consensus. But a lot of them, as Robert points out, are not people that are interested in people telling them what to do. Some of them are just truly awful. Irsay is one of the lousy ones.
I don't think there is an NFL owner that will hire a HC that they don't want to hire whether the GM agrees with it or not.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You just can't make this up.

With the departure today of Ejiro Evero as the Broncos' DC, apparently on their short list is Brian Flores, who last I heard, was suing them for prejudicial hiring practices.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I wonder if the Ford family always has the final say, and mandates who the coach is. I think it was our resident Lions fan (Scott Merryfield) who posted one of the great pieces of sports trivia- a fired Lions coach never gets another chance at a head job in the NFL (if memory serves, he said this has been true since the 1940s). It was very easy to predict that the Matt Patricia hiring wouldn’t work out- a guy who publicly wore a Goodell clown nose T shirt is too immature to be a head coach.
Make that ex-Lions fan. ;) While I supported the team when I was a kid (they never were a competitor to the Steelers, who I also rooted for), I stopped supporting the team a long time ago due to the incompetent ownership. Since we still live in southeastern Michigan, though, I do pay attention to what's going on -- less now, though.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it goes back to the 1940's, but since their last championship in 1957 (William Clay Ford, Sr. was a minority owner then, and became sole owner in the early '60's) no Lions former full time head coach has ever been hired again as an NFL head coach. The closest was Lions interim HC Dick Jauron was later hired by Green Bay, and Bobby Ross got the HC job at Army. Wm. Ford, and later his widow Martha, and now daughter Sheila, have all had final say in the head coaching hires.

BTW, William Clay Ford basically had the franchise purchased for him by the Ford Family to give him something to do and get him away from the family business of Ford Motor Company. He was given some minor jobs at the company, but wasn't seen as competent enough to be given any real responsibility. When he passed away, he willed the management of the Lions to his widow Martha instead of his son, William Clay Ford, Jr. The son was seen by Lions fans as the franchise's best hope of climbing out of decades of mediocrity (junior was president of Ford Motor Company for awhile, and the only one on that side of the family with any business sense), but father and son had a falling out during the Matt Millen era when junior, when asked by the press if Millen should be fired, said that he would fire Millen if it was decision, but it wasn't. Ford, Sr. was pissed off by that, because he liked hanging around with Millen and talking football (even though Millen did a horrible job). Later, Martha followed her late husband's wishes and turned the franchise over to their daughter Sheila, who like her father and mother, had absolutely no experience in the real business world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks