What's new

2022-2023 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I guess we'll see. I wasn't enthusiastic about either of their main targets, Payton or Harbaugh.

I think they got in a mode where they wanted to make a big splash with whoever they signed to be HC. Those were the two biggest names and Harbaugh took himself off the board (if he was ever on it) and so they likely felt they had to go for Payton.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
He is definitely a better coach than Hackett. Denver has talent on defense and so if he has a good DC, I think they should be better. I think what we will see for sure is if Wilson has anything at all left in the tank. They won't bring in much with the 2023 draft, so the roster should not see much of a shake up unless they trade off some assets to start accumulating 2024 and beyond picks. If I were Payton, I would tear the team apart, trade away as much as I could, and look to 2024 to be the beginning of a full reboot.
Did that really have to be said in this thread as it was abundantly clear that Hackett was out of his depth as HC.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Probably whomever is worse in the AFC West has a better shot at Caleb Williams. I think we would all guess that either the Raiders or Broncos will finish last. The Broncos have a starting QB that we know at the moment totally stinks, the Raiders have Stidham who probably is not going to be their starting QB in 2023, but if he is, they probably lose a lot of games.
If Payton is as good as a HC as you seem to imply with your posts then finishing last instead of the Raiders is a major failure.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
If Payton is as good as a HC as you seem to imply with your posts then finishing last instead of the Raiders is a major failure.

Well, I don't think Payton is a "clean" coach. I think he would tank the team to perhaps draft Caleb Williams. He has a questionable character based on previous issues. I do think he will assemble a better staff and do a better job coaching the team but I would not put it past him to intentionally tank. Particularly if he gets there, evaluates Wilson, and decides the guy is an anchor around the team's neck. Then he will know that he needs another QB, which involves either wading into the veteran QB market, which is starting to look thin, or drafting a guy...which seems to be the most preferred option now in the NFL.

I don't know if he is overrated and I agree he had his success with Drew Brees at QB and he did rapidly leave when he knew Brees was done and obviously did not want to go through a rebuild in New Orleans.

I think he can scheme a good offense but it is a two way street, he will need the players that can execute it. I don't know if Wilson can. He seems to have been on his way down for 3 seasons. Not just one, not just a bad year because he changed teams. Some of the experts predicted Wilson would crater when he got to Denver. They were correct.

According to what Payton has said about fixing Wilson, he seems to think you get him back in an offense more like what Seattle was running, which according to Wilson he never liked and was part of why he wanted out of Seattle. I would add to Wilson's dislike of that offense, that he can't execute that offense anymore anyway because his physical tools have deteriorated to the point where that is no longer what works for him.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I don't think Payton is a "clean" coach. I think he would tank the team to perhaps draft Caleb Williams. He has a questionable character based on previous issues. I do think he will assemble a better staff and do a better job coaching the team but I would not put it past him to intentionally tank. Particularly if he gets there, evaluates Wilson, and decides the guy is an anchor around the team's neck. Then he will know that he needs another QB, which involves either wading into the veteran QB market, which is starting to look thin, or drafting a guy...which seems to be the most preferred option now in the NFL.

I don't know if he is overrated and I agree he had his success with Drew Brees at QB and he did rapidly leave when he knew Brees was done and obviously did not want to go through a rebuild in New Orleans.

I think he can scheme a good offense but it is a two way street, he will need the players that can execute it. I don't know if Wilson can. He seems to have been on his way down for 3 seasons. Not just one, not just a bad year because he changed teams. Some of the experts predicted Wilson would crater when he got to Denver. They were correct.

According to what Payton has said about fixing Wilson, he seems to think you get him back in an offense more like what Seattle was running, which according to Wilson he never liked and was part of why he wanted out of Seattle. I would add to Wilson's dislike of that offense, that he can't execute that offense anymore anyway because his physical tools have deteriorated to the point where that is no longer what works for him.
I think he's overrated especially based on him wanting 20-25M per year.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think he's overrated especially based on him wanting 20-25M per year.

Yeah, he and Harbaugh set that number. Not sure if that is based on what the Patriots pay Belichick as he does not like his salary being public. I think, as John said, the teams don't care much about the salary they pay a coach but the draft picks are something they are less likely to want to give up. Arizona I thought, was where he would go but the Cardinals appeared not to want to give New Orleans the picks.

If you get that kind of salary as a coach, you're right, you better get the team to a Super Bowl. If you don't then, yes, overrated.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
1675342037134.jpeg

Last edited:

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
The games are pre-determined before the season. Divisions rotate against each other, and the remaining games are based on where a team finishes within their division. Apparently, for 2023 the AFC West plays the AFC East and NFC North. Five of the remaining six games are against the teams from the other divisions that finish in the same place -- i.e. 1st vs. 1st, 2nd vs. 2nd, etc. Not sure how the final, 17th, game is determined, as it's pretty new.

It's against a team in the opposite conference, in the division that you don't play in the current, previous, or following year, and based on the finish from the previous season.

To continue your AFC West example, their rotation of NFC divisions is East in 2021, West in 2022, North in 2023, and South in 2024. That means their 17th game in 2023 is against the NFC East.

Seeing how the Broncos and Commanders were both 4th in their respective divisions, that tracks with what's been revealed for next year's schedule.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, it appears that the 49ers, Shanahan and Lynch, had zero interest in bringing Brady there and intended the entire time to stick with Lance and Purdy as their QBs. This makes sense. They seem to just be looking at the Purdy injury as a setback for Brock but the team will start Lance and they feel he is ready and can win games for them. So, maybe Brady was told the 49ers don't have any interest and knowing his next choice was the Raiders, well, he made the choice to retire. I do not think he will go back on that and barring something happening to Lance, where they are desperate for a QB, I can't see San Francisco asking Brady to come there. Welcome to Fox Sports, Tom.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This makes the top two free agent QBs Carr and Garoppolo. Rodgers being a wild card that may or may not change teams.

The top teams that may bring in a veteran QB to start:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
New York Jets (seem to prefer Rodgers)
Washington Commanders (claim they will start Howell but likely look at who is available)
Tennessee Titans
New Orleans Saints
Atlanta Falcons

Then there are the Raiders, who likely would only have an interest in Rodgers based on what Davis wants. There are rumors that Garoppolo would like to go to the Raiders and reunite with McDaniels but I don't think he is a big enough name that fits the Davis idea. The Raiders were said to be looking hard at drafting one of the top O-linemen but now may pivot to taking a QB high.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Didn't they also take Favre in his dotage? Rodgers might hesitate to duplicate the career trajectory of Favre to the bitter end.

They did and Favre got embroiled in a sex scandal while he was there and rapidly fled to Minnesota. The Packers would likely want to trade Favre out of conference so the Raiders, Jets, or Titans would all fit the bill. Rodgers is not a guy you can listen to in terms of what he might do. The Packers will pay him $60 million to play there next season if he stays, so he has really good reason to stay. He loves the attention of making people wonder what he will do. I think the chances are about 70% he stays with the Packers as long as they can tolerate keeping him and they don't mind making Love angry.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Here are the Aaron Rodgers rumor updates:

Jets general manager Joe Douglas is admitting to people in the league the franchise will go all out in the attempt to bring Rodgers to Gang Green.

Davante Adams is lobbying hard to bring Rodgers to the Raiders. That was further confirmed this week.

Rodgers says he is not going to the 49ers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks