What's new

2022-2023 NFL Season (2 Viewers)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anyone else watch any of the re-invented Pro Bowl "games" over the weekend? I thought it was pretty fun, and definitely better than the joke of a game they've been playing the last few years. I only remembered to watch the Sunday afternoon portion, but was told the Thursday night events were pretty good, too.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I turned it on a couple times but it was unwatchable to me and it went on forever.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I completely ignored both the NFL and NHL All-Star events this past weekend. I find them both unwatchable. I know the NFL changed their format this year, but I was still not compelled to check it out. I cannot remember the last time I watched any All-Star game.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wouldn't be that surprised if he backs out completely at some point, unless he decides he needs the money. As someone made the point previously, there would almost seem to be more commitment and time needed for broadcasting a game than playing. Lots of players, coaches, statistics, styles, etc., to learn every week for the broadcast. Every week is like an "away" game where you have to travel. At least playing, about half your games were usually at home. You're likely working at least 20 weeks every year, maybe more if your network has extra games around the holidays.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wouldn't be that surprised if he backs out completely at some point, unless he decides he needs the money. As someone made the point previously, there would almost seem to be more commitment and time needed for broadcasting a game than playing. Lots of players, coaches, statistics, styles, etc., to learn every week for the broadcast. Every week is like an "away" game where you have to travel. At least playing, about half your games were usually at home. You're likely working at least 20 weeks every year, maybe more if your network has extra games around the holidays.
Walking away from 375M is kind of bold even if you don't need the money. At this point, it's all about setting up future generations from your bloodline.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure Brady doesn't need the money, but in addition to Robert's point I would add that by committing to broadcasting, Brady permits himself to continue to be around the personalities that have been a part of his professional football career and the game itself.

Assuming that they didn't completely squander their money (which is a big assumption) I would think a lot of the former players and coaches associated with broadcasting in one fashion or another are doing it for more than just the cash. Sure the money is a big part of it, but I believe that there are other intangibles at play.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm sure Brady doesn't need the money, but in addition to Robert's point I would add that by committing to broadcasting, Brady permits himself to be around the personalities that have been a part of his professional football career and the game itself.

Assuming that they didn't completely squander their money (which is a big assumption) I would think a lot of the former players and coaches associated with broadcasting in one fashion or another are doing it for more than just the cash. Sure the money is a big part of it, but I believe that there are other intangibles at play.

- Walter.
Yup, staying around the game you love and talking football with friends and colleagues. Plus, getting 37.5M per year and probably an unlimited expense account.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Gives him time to play another season. ;)

While I do believe him, that he is retired, this was the first thing I thought too. That he is leaving that door just slightly ajar in the event that the 49ers change their mind and want him. I believed before this season that if he played in 2023 it was the 49ers or bust and I think that really was the case. I think he announced his retirement when he found out that Shanahan and Lynch did not want him and wanted to stick with Lance and Purdy. However, I think he is watching the Purdy situation and he probably would be willing to jump into a 49ers uniform if something happens there, like Purdy can't come back in 2023 and Lance is injured, they have a Super Bowl roster with no QB.

I don't think Brady wanted to play for the Raiders or the Dolphins at this point. I think he had only one team in mind all along and still does. At the moment though, the 49ers are going to start Lance if Purdy can't play.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
From Sean Payton's first press conference as Broncos Head Coach.

:P

Sounds like Payton is going to start with putting the screws to Wilson and cleaning up all the dumb mistakes. I can also see him benching Wilson if he does not get the kind of play from him he wants. Expensive guy to sit on the bench, but they are stuck with him anyway and Payton will be there likely at least the next 3 years.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
If the 49ers come calling, his retirement is over.

The 49ers have a great QB situation right now, maybe the best in the league. They have two young QB prospects both on their rookie contracts and they have a Hall of Fame QB just sitting there waiting for the call in case they need him. No other team has that.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sounds like Payton is going to start with putting the screws to Wilson and cleaning up all the dumb mistakes. I can also see him benching Wilson if he does not get the kind of play from him he wants. Expensive guy to sit on the bench, but they are stuck with him anyway and Payton will be there likely at least the next 3 years.
It will be interesting if Wilson is interested in being part of the "team" or will resist. It's been said Wilson has his own private office at the Broncos facility and his own separate training staff that Payton is no longer going to allow in the building.

Sounds kind of similar to what may have contributed to the break-up between Belichick and Brady when Belichick banned Brady's separate personal trainer from team facilities a few years back.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It will be interesting if Wilson is interested in being part of the "team" or will resist. It's been said Wilson has his own private office at the Broncos facility and his own separate training staff that Payton is no longer going to allow in the building.

Sounds kind of similar to what may have contributed to the break-up between Belichick and Brady when Belichick banned Brady's separate personal trainer from team facilities a few years back.

My guess is that Wilson will be a team player because he lobbied for Payton to come there. So, I would think he is going to do whatever he asks. Sean did begin by firing a few shots at Wilson. I guess he wants him off of social media and focused on football during the season among other things.

I thought Wilson looked awful in a variety of ways when I watched him last season. Yes, he is slower, does not have the same ability to escape the pocket and make plays but he threw balls that dipped and seemed not to be seeing the field well either. He threw into areas where he should not have, was off target, and just made some bonehead decisions. I don't think getting him back to form just involves giving him a playbook of plays he likes, which seems to be Payton's thinking. I think there is a lot more wrong than that.

He might be able to get him back to a mediocre level where he can manage a game but not sure he gets him back to game changer, which is what he was in his prime.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, kind of interesting that the one team Aaron Rodgers has expressed interest in for the 2023 season is the Raiders.

Not sure what that means but on the opposite side of that, the Raiders are one of the teams that are apparently talking to the Bears about trading up to the first pick in the 2023 draft...to take a QB. Colts and Texans are also feeling that out.

Right now the Bears have put a price on that trade, if you are one of those teams up top of the draft, of your first and second round picks in 2023 and your first and second round picks in 2024. I believe the Texans, who sit in the 2 spot for 2023 have said that is too high a price and will select whichever QB out of Young and Stroud that does not get picked with the first pick. So, maybe the Colts or Raiders trade into the one spot.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I believe the Texans have offered their first, the number two overall, and their second round pick in 2023 to the Bears for their first overall pick in the 2023 draft. That seems fair to me, but the Bears likely would not accept a trade like that until draft day and will hold out for more from someone like the Colts or Raiders. If the Bears trade with the Texans on draft day, chances are they would try to trade back again anyway and accumulate more picks. Chicago controls the draft right now.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My guess is that Wilson will be a team player because he lobbied for Payton to come there. So, I would think he is going to do whatever he asks. Sean did begin by firing a few shots at Wilson. I guess he wants him off of social media and focused on football during the season among other things.

I thought Wilson looked awful in a variety of ways when I watched him last season. Yes, he is slower, does not have the same ability to escape the pocket and make plays but he threw balls that dipped and seemed not to be seeing the field well either. He threw into areas where he should not have, was off target, and just made some bonehead decisions. I don't think getting him back to form just involves giving him a playbook of plays he likes, which seems to be Payton's thinking. I think there is a lot more wrong than that.

He might be able to get him back to a mediocre level where he can manage a game but not sure he gets him back to game changer, which is what he was in his prime.
To be fair to Russell, there was at least one game after Hackett departed where he showed real signs of the player he can be. I think it might have been the KC game. By that point in the season, I think the defense had gotten sick of trying to save them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks