What's new

2021-2022 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Which QB will have the most success this season?

• Carson Wentz - Colts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matt Stafford - Rams

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Trevor Lawrence - Jaguars

• Jimmy Garoppolo -49ers

• Ryan Fitzpatrick - Redskins

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Cam Newton - Patriots

• Jalen Hurts - Eagles

• Justin Fields - Bears

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Mac Jones

• Zach Wilson -Jets

• Sam Darnold - Panthers

• Jameis Winston - Saints

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Reggie, did Rob Saleh kick your dog or cat?:laugh:

Ha, no but I did watch that entire horrible Patriots Jets game and came away pretty well feeling the guy was lost. Again, I don't want to judge a guy three games into his head coaching career and he has to be better than Adam Gase but after watching him "coach" and watching him speak after his losses...well...I get the feeling he should not be a head coach.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'm just looking forward to finding out if the Broncos are for real next week. Hopefully they are and will silence all the "they've only beaten bad teams" banter. You have to play the teams on your schedule. I have to admit, with Fangio obviously completely changing his coaching approach this year, and with a QB who can finally manage the game, they had a real gift getting to start with such a soft three games. If they beat the Ravens, that should end any doubt.

Yes, when the three teams you have beaten are a combined 0-9 it is probably not the best time to try to assess how good the team is. However, it is the NFL and the Broncos have pretty much easily dominated those teams. The Ravens are their best opponent so far so should be a good game but you have to like the momentum of a 3-0 start when you play in the AFC West with the 3-0 Raiders and the Chiefs and Chargers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, Giants fans also booed the hell out of John Mara during Eli Manning's number retirement ceremony. It's about time, the fan base starts putting some public pressure on his horrible ownership.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ha, no but I did watch that entire horrible Patriots Jets game and came away pretty well feeling the guy was lost. Again, I don't want to judge a guy three games into his head coaching career and he has to be better than Adam Gase but after watching him "coach" and watching him speak after his losses...well...I get the feeling he should not be a head coach.
You say you don't want to judge a guy three games into his HC career, yet, that's exactly what you're doing here. Saleh isn't going anywhere. Also, the Jets QB coach dying just ahead of training camp didn't help Wilson at all since that's the coach, a QB works most closely with, especially a rookie QB.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
You say you don't want to judge a guy three games into his HC career, yet, that's exactly what you're doing here. Saleh isn't going anywhere. Also, the Jets QB coach dying just ahead of training camp didn't help Wilson at all since that's the coach, a QB works most closely with, especially a rookie QB.

Well, that may be a contributor to the situation. All I am saying is rather than showing some sort of improvement over these first three games it looks like they are going in the opposite direction. Basically, nobody expects the Jets to be a great team this season. In all likelihood they would be lucky to win even 4 or 5 games. So the high bar for the team would probably be something like 6 to 8 wins.

They drafted Darnold at the top of the 2018 draft and traded him to the Panthers this season. Good for Sam that he is out and now 3-0 with the Panthers. Who I don't think people were picking as a playoff team either.

I've heard a rumor that the Jets have not treated Saleh in a wonderful manner either, which I guess is par for the course with the Jets. So, I don't know maybe the wheels were coming off before Saleh coached a game. It is certainly not all on him and he took over a struggling team with a bad track record on making decisions.

I am not judging him just pointing to the fact that his first three games have been horrible and coaching looks like one of the issues with the team.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bears' fans have been demanding Justin Fields take over as QB. Careful what you wish for:

Here's the news that needs to be discussed quickly: Chicago lost to the Cleveland Browns by a score of 26-6 on Sunday. Now on to the more revealing numbers, the ones that will tell you plenty about how ill-equipped the Bears were to compete in this contest. They generated 47 total yards, ran only 42 plays and surrendered nine sacks to a Browns defense that treated Fields in much the same fashion that hungry lions handle passive animals that stray into the wild. (NFL . com)
Ran 42 plays. Generated only 47 total yards of offense. There you go, Bears fans. ;)

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There’s an article on Bleacher Report that the Voldemorts should have been charged with 2 pass inference flags on the Hail Mary that ended the game. Former NFLref Terry McAulay says it was definite pass interference on 2 players.

I can’t remember that last time PI was called on a Hail Mary. The announcers even said it happens all the time and you shouldn’t call PI.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The thing with the Hail Mary is it is intentionally chaos and a jump ball. The QB is not throwing to a receiver he is throwing to an area that all his guys are supposed to run to. All you hope is one of your guys can come up with it. So, really, unless there is something totally ridiculous that happens on the play like all the defenders tackle all the receivers before the ball is thrown then no PI should be called.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Bears' fans have been demanding Justin Fields take over as QB. Careful what you wish for:

Ran 42 plays. Generated only 47 total yards of offense. There you go, Bears fans. ;)
Nagy said he did not think the kid was ready to play. One of the odd things I have been seeing this year is the "experts" appear to get really angry when something they say turns out not to be correct. I forget who it was but someone went off completely saying Nagy should be fired immediately because of the way he used Fields in the game. This was ridiculous as the Bears O-line was getting destroyed by the Browns defense.

Basically, there is a lot of really bad offensive line play these days in the NFL. I think it is just a shortage of good linemen.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree about not calling PI on the hail mary. There is usually no "intended receiver" in that situation, it's just all luck throwing the ball into a scrum of players and hoping one of your guys comes up with it. I'm not sure how they would justify calling PI on any specific player given what's usually happening in the end zone on that play. I'd imagine every player, offense and defense, is probably committing some form of PI.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
There’s an article on Bleacher Report that the Voldemorts should have been charged with 2 pass inference flags on the Hail Mary that ended the game. Former NFLref Terry McAulay says it was definite pass interference on 2 players.

I can’t remember that last time PI was called on a Hail Mary. The announcers even said it happens all the time and you shouldn’t call PI.
The Chargers coach should have not let it get that far- I hated the way he coached his last drive. Turned out fine for him though.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
While I forgot initially that it was being broadcast, I used the second half of MNF's matchup between the Cowboys and the Eagles to view the game with Peyton and Eli. This was my first exposure to their show and I have to say that it was pretty enjoyable way to watch the game. I generally like QB announcers when they offer insights into a play or the game in general and liked their approach to the telecast. I was surprised at the concept of a guest in each quarter and that was also a nice twist on a typical presentation. Definitely will be checking in with them when their broadcast returns.

Enjoyed the Cowboy's dominating performance. It is a long season, but so far so good.

Hurts only has a limited number of starts under his belt and there were a few times where I felt that showed.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Wait, I thought you were a Texans fan?

I follow both teams. Living on the Texas Gulf Coast most of my life I grew up following the Cowboys and the (then) Houston Oilers. (Really loved the Bum Phillips' era Oilers, BTW.) Started following the Texans when the franchise arrived in Houston, with some pretty mixed results. :)

Part of that is just pure regionalism and part of it has to do with the broadcasts that were available. During my youth, I think it was written in blood somewhere that the Cowboys would be broadcast everywhere in Texas, nearly every week. Of course they were always on Thanksgiving which became part of the Turkey Day tradition.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I forgot to mention...

Nice observation regarding the Dallas offensive line and the Landry Shift by Peyton at the end of the game. As a long time fan, I appreciated the recognition of the technique.

- Walter.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I really dislike the regional broadcasting of some NFL games. But I guess that's how they get you to buy the Sunday Ticket or Redzone.

Living in New England, we always have Patriots > Giants > Jets in that order, regardless of how awful the team is. If they're playing in a regional slot, we have to watch them.

I'd much rather watch a better game by more competitive teams even if they're from other regions.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
While I forgot initially that it was being broadcast, I used the second half of MNF's matchup between the Cowboys and the Eagles to view the game with Peyton and Eli. This was my first exposure to their show and I have to say that it was pretty enjoyable way to watch the game. I generally like QB announcers when they offer insights into a play or the game in general and liked their approach to the telecast. I was surprised at the concept of a guest in each quarter and that was also a nice twist on a typical presentation. Definitely will be checking in with them when their broadcast returns.

Enjoyed the Cowboy's dominating performance. It is a long season, but so far so good.

Hurts only has a limited number of starts under his belt and there were a few times where I felt that showed.

- Walter.

I've watched them a couple of times now. I like the odd funny stuff that happens between brothers. There is constant making fun of Peyton's giant head. Peyton last night suddenly asked Eli "What's going on with that sweater? Is that an Eagles sweater?"

Eli looked and sounded confused and said "No" and Peyton said "But it is green." and Eli again seeming confused said "No, it's gray." as he looked down at the sweater.

Then as they went to commercial the picture cut out but you heard Peyton say "I don't like that sweater take it off." before it cut to the commercial.

What I enjoy about it most is it seems like a random circus basically as it would be if you were watching the game with some guys. Peyton never shuts up and Eli seems to struggle to form words.

Peyton also suddenly blurted out "What's going on there are your shoes off?" to Eli and Eli raises his feet showing his socks and says "Yeah, I don't watch football with shoes on."

Then Peyton asked him if he had no shoes on while he was demonstrating swiveling his hips when he throws. It is typically a lot of funny nonsense. I think on one of the shows Peyton read the notes he was given on what he was doing wrong on the broadcast and that was funny too. He asked Eli to read his notes and Eli said "Talk about Peyton's giant forehead more often."

I kind of enjoy the ridiculous stuff more than their comments on the game.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I really dislike the regional broadcasting of some NFL games. But I guess that's how they get you to buy the Sunday Ticket or Redzone.

Living in New England, we always have Patriots > Giants > Jets in that order, regardless of how awful the team is. If they're playing in a regional slot, we have to watch them.

I'd much rather watch a better game by more competitive teams even if they're from other regions.
Hey, don't complain. We get the Lions here. After that, we get the other NFC North teams, regardless of how horrible the matchup may be. This past Sunday, the 1pm choices were the Lions - Ravens or Bears - Browns. :mellow: I watched the Ryder Cup instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks