What's new

2020 TV Releases Guesses? (1 Viewer)

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I’m hoping 2020 is the year that Kolchak: The Night Stalker is upgraded to Blu-ray!
Most of the series I want on Blu-ray are Disney-Fox (Millennium, Buffy, Angel, Alias), so I’m not expecting any physical releases anytime soon. The cost of restoring DS9 or Voyager for HD might still be too prohibitive, but I can still dream.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I can't see it happening but my wishlist for 2020 is

The Name of The Game (Gene Barry / Tony Franciosa / Robert Stack)
The Defenders - seasons 2 to 4 (E.G. Marshall / Robert Reed)
The Felony Squad (Howard Duff / Ben Alexander / Dennis Cole)
Hunter (James Franciscus)
Matt Helm (Tony Franciosa)
The Trials of O'Brien (Peter Falk)
Burke's Law - season two (Gene Barry / Gary Conway)
Amos Burke Secret Agent (Gene Barry)
O' Hara Treasury Agent (David Janssen)
Richard Diamond (David Janssen)
77 Sunset Strip (Efrem Zimbalist jnr / Roger Smith / Edd Byrnes)
and all the spin off Detective shows

Project UFO (William Jordan / Edward Winter / Caskey Swaim)

Westerns;
Lancer (James Stacy / Wayne Maunder / Andrew Duggan)
The Iron Horse (Dale Robertson / Gary Collins)
Black Saddle (Peter Breck)
The Outcasts (Don Murray / Otis Young)

UK BBC TV;
Vendetta (seven surviving episodes) - (Stelio Candelli / Neil McCallum / Kieron Moore)

Comedy
My Three Sons - remaining seasons
The Love Boat - Remaining seasons

the last two might come out but otherwise I will believe it when I see it....

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
What I don't understand is why some shows have no music clearance issues and others have a lot. There are a number of episodes with music in shows like The Donna Reed Show, The Patty Duke Show, I Love Lucy, Here's Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Batman, etc. that haven't had to change or eliminate music for home video releases. Then there are others that need to have all or most music changed or taken out. The original music cues in Leave It To Beaver are intact, but the same can't be done for the first 2 seasons of My Three Sons? After many negative comments and extreme disapproval from many consumers, some shows like The Fugitive redid the DVDs and inserted much of the original music cues. Other shows like The Wonder Years and WKRP In Cincinnati have most of the original music. Nothing can be done like this with 77 Sunset Strip or Hawaiian Eye???
It seems like Warner Brothers Archive who would be releasing 77 Sunset Strip , and the other WB detective shows doesn't feel it's worth it to clear up the music rights issues . Too expensive I'm told . But as you mentioned other shows with greater music clearance issues have been released by other companies . Too bad Warner Brothers refuses to license the shows out . I'd guess that Shout Factory might be interested and might be able to overcome the music issues . But Warner's would rather sit on the shows , claim no one is interested any more, and have them go unseen.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
It seems like Warner Brothers Archive who would be releasing 77 Sunset Strip , and the other WB detective shows doesn't feel it's worth it to clear up the music rights issues . Too expensive I'm told . But as you mentioned other shows with greater music clearance issues have been released by other companies . Too bad Warner Brothers refuses to license the shows out . I'd guess that Shout Factory might be interested and might be able to overcome the music issues . But Warner's would rather sit on the shows , claim no one is interested any more, and have them go unseen.
The only thing worse for these shows than simply not releasing them would be to have them destroyed.

~Ben

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
I'm wondering if there's any hope to see more MTM properties released, like Phyllis (48 episodes, which were loaded to youtube a year ago); Bay City Blues (8 episodes on life of a minor league baseball team, co-created by Stephen Bochco); Mary (13 episodes, co-starring James Farentino and John Astin); The Betty White Show (13 episodes, not Sue Ann Nivens but a funny take on a Police Woman-type show, with John Hillerman and Georgia Engels); The Trials of Rosie O'Neill (34 episodes, Sharon Gless, post-Cagney and Lacey); Doc (Barnard Hughes, 31 episodes); The Texas Wheelers (Jack Elam, Mark Hamill, 8 episodes); Paris (James EArl Jones, Stephen Bochco created 13 episodes), We've Got Each Other (Tarses & Patchett created, 13 episodes) and most hopefully, The Tony Randall Show (Jay Tarses co-created it, ran for 44 episodes, including Zane Lansky as Mario Lanza!)...

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Venture Bros. was just canceled officially yesterday, after 7 seasons with an extremely sporadic schedule since 2003/2004.

A Venture Bros complete series set is likely to happen later this year or early next year. A dvd version will be a 14-disc set if they just repackage the old inventory.

A complete series bluray version will be dependent on whether Warner (or Warner Archive) is willing to release seasons 1 and 2 on bluray. (Seasons 3 to 7 were all released on bluray).

The question is whether Warner has any uncensored hd versions of seasons 1 and 2. (Seasons 1 and 2 were originally done in fullscreen 4:3 aspect ratio, and the dvd versions had "censored" versions of episodes).

For me, a first-day buy of a (hypothetical) bluray complete series set, would be if seasons 1 and 2 are done as hd versions (possibly in 16:9 widescreen) without any of the censorship (ie. expletives, nudity, etc ...).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks