What's new

2020 4th quarter DVD releases? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Josh Steinberg

Why would there be a corrected release for Terminator 2? It looks exactly as the filmmakers and rightsholders want it to look. That they’ve chosen a more modern aesthetic for the presentation wasn’t an accident. They’re not going to recall a product that came out exactly the way they wanted it to.

I am not asking for a recall because your probably right that it was released as intended but I would purchase it over again for it to be more faithful to the film version where film gain is intact. I purchased T2 on 4K blu-ray but while it is watchable I can not say I am a fan of how it was sharpened and the DNR so heavily applied. And at the same time I am waiting for more of the franchise to be release on 4K Blu-ray and to see more Schwarzenegger movies on 4K Blu-ray and more Eastwood movies as well.

4K Blu-ray Releases:
Resident Evil: The Complete Collection - Nov 3
Beverly Hills Cop - Dec 1
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Dec 1
Coming To America - Dec 1
Total Recall 4K Blu-ray - Dec 8

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to guess Star Trek: Lower Decks, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, and Westworld season 3 might, I repeat, might make it out on DVD before Christmas. But that's a guess on my part. Any of you remember any tv streaming series that MIGHT come out for the Holidays?

--jthree

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I'm just not into old TV shows. That was then, this is now. Movies, however, are a different thing entirely. I vowed I wouldn't double dip when I switched from DVD to Blu-ray. Well, you guessed it. I'm double dipping like crazy!

DVD is my last format. After dealing with EAIJ, 3/4, Beta, VHS, Super Beta, Super VHS, I'm done.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

Updated for 2021:

It's July 1st, but usually this is the time of the year when the studios announce their big releases for the Holiday Season. I know it's till been rough financially for many of us with the aftermath of the pandemic and other challenges, but the studios should have some new items out for Christmas? Again, if you've noticed how much the DVD section at Wal-Mart has been downsized, it is somewhat discouraging to think of what new box sets or unreleased series haven't come out.

Have wondered if the Lost in Space season 2, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, and Mandalorian might have legit releases coming out in the next few months, but there's been no news. Somehow the age of streaming hasn't exactly enthralled me.

I am grateful that What's So Bad About Feeling Good? one of my Holy Grails is finally making it out on Blu Ray.

It seems like there's a new Star Trek TOS Blu Ray DVD's in the works, and I think Warner Brothers Archives was working on The Enchanted World of Brothers Grimm, and another Tex Avery set. There's a part of me that wonders if Voyage to the Bottom of The Sea might make it to Blu Ray. Do any of you have any educated guesses/thoughts of what might come out this season?

--jthree

Jthree

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Dear Guys:

Updated for 2021:

It's July 1st, but usually this is the time of the year when the studios announce their big releases for the Holiday Season. I know it's till been rough financially for many of us with the aftermath of the pandemic and other challenges, but the studios should have some new items out for Christmas? Again, if you've noticed how much the DVD section at Wal-Mart has been downsized, it is somewhat discouraging to think of what new box sets or unreleased series haven't come out.

Have wondered if the Lost in Space season 2, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, and Mandalorian might have legit releases coming out in the next few months, but there's been no news. Somehow the age of streaming hasn't exactly enthralled me.

I am grateful that What's So Bad About Feeling Good? one of my Holy Grails is finally making it out on Blu Ray.

It seems like there's a new Star Trek TOS Blu Ray DVD's in the works, and I think Warner Brothers Archives was working on The Enchanted World of Brothers Grimm, and another Tex Avery set. There's a part of me that wonders if Voyage to the Bottom of The Sea might make it to Blu Ray. Do any of you have any educated guesses/thoughts of what might come out this season?

--jthree

Jthree

The fact that Lost In Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Mandalorian, Dark Crystal, etc ... have Netflix and/or Disney/Fox involved directly, means that they are highly likely to be "lost causes" for the forseeable future when it comes to dvd/bluray.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
The fact that Lost In Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Mandalorian, Dark Crystal, etc ... have Netflix and/or Disney/Fox involved directly, means that they are highly likely to be "lost causes" for the forseeable future when it comes to dvd/bluray.

Granted, but there has to be "something" coming out for the holiday season, as opposed to nothing? Wish companies would talk about upcoming projects a bit more, but with the coronavirus perhaps they want to hold things closer to their vests.

--jthree

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Granted, but there has to be "something" coming out for the holiday season, as opposed to nothing? Wish companies would talk about upcoming projects a bit more, but with the coronavirus perhaps they want to hold things closer to their vests.

If you're referring to Disney/Fox specifically, they had almost nothing special released on dvd/bluray for the xmas seasons over the past few years.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Wish SHOUT would give us more You Bet Your Life and finally season sets of Burns and Allen also Disney should breakdown and sign a deal for their releases and their Fox holdings thru KINO this way maybe they could release their unedited classics and claim they did not release them. Really shook my head when I just rec'vd the new Disney Club mailing and they are doing a "Winter In July" promo for crying out loud NO it's "Christmas In July" they are getting a bit c-wazy!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The question is whether the Fox point-man (or point-woman) who handled the all licensing deals with Shout Factory, Kino, etc ..., was kept around after the Disney/Fox merger was final and official.

If this Fox licensing point-man (or point-woman) was pushed out after the merger, then nobody knows what will happen. In such a scenario, the third-party companies (shout, kino, etc ...) have to deal with a new licensing person, who might not opearate in the same manner as the Fox point-man (or point-woman).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Not really. Guess I was thinking generally.

--jthree

For that matter, the release schedules for the xmas season over the past few years, were also rather boring too for the other big movie companies.

Lots of 4Kbluray version of old catalog movie titles, if that is what you're into.

The least boring is perhaps Warner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks