What's new

2019 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yeah, your type of Yankee fandom is why I have a hard time remaining a Yankees fan and why I quit posting on Yankees fan boards.
Did you first-guess Boone for putting Chapman in the game? Not a normal move for a manager these days- putting the closer in on the road in a tie game. To add fuel to the critics fire is the lefty/righty thing with Springer and Altuve.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Did you first-guess Boone for putting Chapman in the game? Not a normal move for a manager these days- putting the closer in on the road in a tie game. To add fuel to the critics fire is the lefty/righty thing with Springer and Altuve.
Nope, you go with your best pitcher as I thought Boone was going to use Chapman for two innings, but it didn't work out. I'll never forget Torre leaving Mariano in the bullpen in a similar situation against the Marlins back in 2003, and the Yankees ended up losing the game with Jeff Weaver then there was Buck Showalter leaving Britton in the bullpen to use only in a save situation during a playoff game and losing the game with Britton never pitching in that game. Just because a manager's decision doesn't work out, it doesn't mean it was a bad decision.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Nope, you go with your best pitcher as I thought Boone was going to use Chapman for two innings, but it didn't work out. I'll never forget Torre leaving Mariano in the bullpen in a similar situation against the Marlins back in 2003, and the Yankees ended up losing the game with Jeff Weaver then there was Buck Showalter leaving Britton in the bullpen to use only in a save situation during a playoff game and losing the game with Britton never pitching in that game. Just because a manager's decision doesn't work out, it doesn't mean it was a bad decision.
Yes Showalter will be remembered for not bringing in Britton, at least until Buck wins a title.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yes Showalter will be remembered for not bringing in Britton, at least until Buck wins a title.

Somewhat like Steve Bartman was for blocking Alou from that foul ball that cost the Cubs the chance at the 2003 title (at least until the Cubs took it in 2016 after 108 years, and the hatchet was finally buried)?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Somewhat like Steve Bartman was for blocking Alou from that foul ball that cost the Cubs the chance at the 2003 title (at least until the Cubs took it in 2016 after 108 years, and the hatchet was finally buried)?
I just can’t agree that a fan cost a team a shot at the World Series. The Cubs SS committed the worst error in major league history to contribute a lot more to that disastrous inning, then the team folded like a cheap suit. To blame the fan
(I refuse to type his name), Buckner (the game was tied when that ground ball was hit), and Dekinger (the Cardinals made critical fielding mistakes after that call) is too easy. The teams in question just didn’t get the job done.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
and Dekinger (the Cardinals made critical fielding mistakes after that call) is too easy. The teams in question just didn’t get the job done.

I hear that Denkinger is still vilified for that 1985 Series; he didn't deserve to be, and still doesn't!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yeah, your type of Yankee fandom is why I have a hard time remaining a Yankees fan and why I quit posting on Yankees fan boards.

I don't have to apologize for my fandom, which has been 43 years since 1976 and suffering through the barren years of the 80s and early 90s and staying with them to you or anyone else. And I'm not going to apologize for wishing the Yankees got rid of a General Manager with a bad track record over 15 years who didn't address the team's critical needs to get over the hump. Girardi was the one who should have stayed two years ago.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't have to apologize for my fandom, which has been 43 years since 1976 and suffering through the barren years of the 80s and early 90s and staying with them to you or anyone else. And I'm not going to apologize for wishing the Yankees got rid of a General Manager with a bad track record over 15 years who didn't address the team's critical needs to get over the hump.
I never asked you to apologize for your fandom. Please, spare me about how you suffered as I've been a Yankees fan since 1961, when I attended my first game at the old Yankee Stadium. I lived through the bad times beyond the those years you mentioned as it was pretty bad in 1965, up until the mid-1970's. Poor, poor Yankees fans had it really rough over those years.:rolleyes:

As to Cashman, you can wish all you want, but, he's not going anywhere. If you desire that next WS title then you better be hoping he and Hal Steinbrenner make better decisions going forward and that they get a little luckier with those decisions and in-season injuries.

Anyhow, I do apologize to fans of other teams for airing out some internal Yankees fans laundry here. I'm done so let the discussion shift towards the upcoming series on Tuesday.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I didn’t see personal attacks.
I do see a fan of the most successful team probably in the history of sports complaining that they haven’t won a title in 10 years.

Give us all a break.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I see that Vegas has established the Astros as the biggest favorites since the 2007 WS.
The Astros have the experience, the starting pitching is a notch better than the Nationals, and they have home field. My prediction is Astros in 6.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I do see a fan of the most successful team probably in the history of sports complaining that they haven’t won a title in 10 years.

Which by the standards of real Yankee fans is unacceptable (as is one in 19 seasons). Give me a break if you think real Yankee fans are supposed to be a bunch of smiling Pollyannas today just because of what they did ten years ago.

2017 was the year the Yankees could take pride in getting further than they were expected to do (even if Cashman screwed up a title chance by getting Sonny Gray instead of Verlander). This team was then supposed to go to the next level after that failure which is what real Yankee teams did in the past like the Yankees of 1976 and the Yankees of 1995 one year after those initial post-season failures. That's a standard the real Yankee fan believes in, and I'll leave the loser attitude that settles for less to others.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Should be a great World Series!
As for my Mets I guess we are getting a new manager!

Any wagers on who it will be?

lots of managerial openings!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Knowing the Wilpons, it will be somebody that doesn't cost a lot of money.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
There's a real manager out there in Girardi, but I suspect they just want a Sabermetric puppet of the GM in the tradition of Aaron Boone.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt

Seems that there isn’t a lot of hot talk about who the Mets will hire. Sounds like the Phils will hire one of 3 veterans- Dusty Baker, Buck Showalter or Joe Girardi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.