What's new

2019 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If baseball ever does what the NFL does- place the championship series in a neutral site- I’ll be done with the sport. It would be completely unfair to fan bases that have been suffering for decades along with a team that never makes it to the World Series (can you imagine relocating the 2016 series out of Wrigley?). Leagues that have multi-game championship series couldn’t
logistically do this anyway- they couldn’t get enough fans of the competing teams to attend the games due to time and money factors.

I actually really really don't want that to happen either, but holding the culmination of the season is such potentially artificial and basically nonbaseball conditions just seems wrong. I have played Baseball in 30 degree weather and it's not baseball.

It wasn't until the 70's that the WS even extended beyond the 15th, then it shifted back a week, and now we've had games at late as Nov 3 and 4. They need to reclaim 21 days somehow in the middle of the season -- weekly day/night DH on Saturday, drop 8-10 games from teh regular season schedule, liberalize the roster rules to allow a couple extra player switches for those DH (an extra starting pitched and catcher).

154-162 games
3 extra playoff rounds if you include the WC play-in game and potential post season tiebreakers
More in season off days and virtually no scheduled DH
The season is over month longer than it used to be. I'm assuming those extra in-season game are by far the least profitable to the overall sport and TV revenue bucket so eliminating the playoff rounds (despite my wishlist) is a lot less likely to happen than a contraction of regular season games. I guess the other extreme longshot would be 30-32 domed/retractable roof stadiums

Speaking of healthy...can someone explain to me if Giancarlo Stanton cannot play, :emoji_head_bandage: why is he on the roster?

Too bad my Dodgers didn't make it this year. It's supposed to be 90° here on Tuesday. :emoji_sun_with_face:

No idea on the first -- after he wasn;t able to play in G2 and Yankees carrying 12-13 pitchers it seems extra damaging to lose an extra position player. OTOH PH and Double switches in the AL aren't a huge deal like an NL game. It's not like they aren't carrying 2-3 players on the bench that have done nothing extra cheer on their teammates for 2 weeks anyway

Honestly agree I'd rather see the Dodgers, but they certainly earned their early vacation

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Damn - Altuve is something special, but what an awful pitch by Chapman in that situation. High ball hitter gets gets a shoulder high, hanging slider I guess right in his happy zone.

I'm awfully glad not to have to see a game 7 against the Yankees seeing Cole again.

Otoh -- the home plate ump had a puerile night. Both teams got hosed, but the Yankees certainly got the worst of those calls. I heard the story about all the plane troubles and getting into Houston at 10:30am, but that doesn't change the awful uneven strike zone -- in, out, up, down there wasn't anything consistent about any part of the zone.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Sheesh, what a nerve-wracking game. Couldn't believe it when Springer almost got to that ball at the fence. Wasn't looking forward to a game 7 because anything could happen and Cole would not be available for game 1 against the Nationals if the 'stros won game 7. But all that was a moot point because of Jose Altuve. He is something special indeed. What a clutch hit, from a great player. I honestly can't think of anyone I'd rather have on my team.

I'll give the Yankees credit; they stuck around and made a series of it after falling down 3-1.

Looking forward to seeing how the Nationals pitching matches up with the Astros' lineup.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As a Yankees fan, I'm really disappointed, but I was prepared for this as I didn't think they would win this series. Now, I'm wondering what changes will take place in the offseason as I believe the Yankees need to strengthen their starting pitching as it's their biggest weakness. As to the WS, I don't have a preference as I don't like either team.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On second thought, the Nationals winning the WS would be the most interesting story considering their start of the season and how they turned their season around. Plus, Astros are kind of cocky so I wouldn't mind them getting knocked off.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
I'm happy that the Nationals are in the World Series. I actually got to see the team during their inaugural season at RFK Stadium about a month before me and my family moved out to Oregon. If nothing else, they finally proved that they can win a postseason series; I'm hoping for seven games between the Nats and the Astros!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
As the proudest of Yankee fans since 1976 who had to endure sitting through the crap that was Game 4 at the ballpark, and seeing this failure, all I can say is, I wish Brian Cashman would be fired. He is a terrible GM, who didn't do squat to get what the team needed most which was pitching (how much of a joke was Encarnacion?) In addition, Gary Sanchez's abysmal play should make it clear that Girardi was right about him.

For fifteen years, Cashman has had carte blanche authority, and the only time he succeeded was the one year he was able to sign the biggest three names available (Sabathia, Burnett and Teixeira). His record before and since then has been awful, *especially* his constant misjudgment of pitching (Kei Igawa anyone? And of course it was Cashman who cost them the pennant two years ago when he decided on Sonny Gray over Verlander).

But alas, Hal is so determined to never be like his father and have to fire someone that he will keep allowing this saber-geek incompetent to keep the Yankees from putting together the right team that can actually get through an LCS.

I've been to a dozen Nats games since 2011 thanks to my boss's generosity and I hope they clean Houston's clock.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As the proudest of Yankee fans since 1976 who had to endure sitting through the crap that was Game 4 at the ballpark, and seeing this failure, all I can say is, I wish Brian Cashman would be fired. He is a terrible GM, who didn't do squat to get what the team needed most which was pitching (how much of a joke was Encarnacion?) In addition, Gary Sanchez's abysmal play should make it clear that Girardi was right about him.

For fifteen years, Cashman has had carte blanche authority, and the only time he succeeded was the one year he was able to sign the biggest three names available (Sabathia, Burnett and Teixeira). His record before and since then has been awful, *especially* his constant misjudgment of pitching (Kei Igawa anyone? And of course it was Cashman who cost them the pennant two years ago when he decided on Sonny Gray over Verlander).

But alas, Hal is so determined to never be like his father and have to fire someone that he will keep allowing this saber-geek incompetent to keep the Yankees from putting together the right team that can actually get through an LCS.

I've been to a dozen Nats games since 2011 thanks to my boss's generosity and I hope they clean Houston's clock.
Tell us how you really feel about Cashman?;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, I think Cashman is a good GM, who has made some mistakes, but I think Hal contributed to those mistakes by not spending more money that would have improved the team.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If he were a "good" GM, he would have had more than one championship in 15 years and not presided over the Yankees first decade without so much as a pennant in one hundred years. He's totally clueless on the fact that you can't win a championship without a legitimate starting rotation.

I would give anything for the ghost of George to come back and fire him.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
On second thought, the Nationals winning the WS would be the most interesting story considering their start of the season and how they turned their season around. Plus, Astros are kind of cocky so I wouldn't mind them getting knocked off.

Well, winning over 100 games each of the last three seasons will give a team some confidence. I thought the Astros' players and A.J. Hinch were gracious in their post game comments. They certainly did not trash talk the Yankees or the Nationals. They do have a lot of well earned confidence in their ability to persevere and hang tough.

I know you're just stating an opinion, though. The Yankees have won 27 World Series in their illustrious history, so I'm not feeling too bad about rooting for the Astros to win a 2nd time. :)

- Walter.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
As a Yankees fan, I'm really disappointed, but I was prepared for this as I didn't think they would win this series. Now, I'm wondering what changes will take place in the offseason as I believe the Yankees need to strengthen their starting pitching as it's their biggest weakness. As to the WS, I don't have a preference as I don't like either team.
I think it’s a stone-cold lock that they will go hard after the biggest name in free agency- Cole. This year’s Fall Classic matchup is the poster board for how important starting pitching still is in the game (a team can only get so far with cobbling together a bunch of pitchers to get the team through several playoff games).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think it’s a stone-cold lock that they will go hard after the biggest name in free agency- Cole. This year’s Fall Classic matchup is the poster board for how important starting pitching still is in the game (a team can only get so far with cobbling together a bunch of pitchers to get the team through several playoff games).
I'm not so sure about that as I think Hal is a little too logical in his baseball decision-making. He could be a better owner than his father as he's far less emotional and lets his baseball people operate within reason. He and Cashman are generally on the same page. However, he has a bean-counter mentality when it comes to his baseball decisions. Furthermore, I know he's competitive because he's a Steinbrenner, but I don't think he has the same kind of passion for the game nor the will to win like his old man. Those perceptions of him might hold him back and thus, hold back the Yankees.

Cole is going to get a humongous contract from somebody this winter. Right now, I'm not confident that Hal wants to swim in that deep part of the pool. Also, I think the Angels and Padres are going go hard at Cole and Strasburg. Do both of them want to return back to Orange County and San Diego respectively. The Yankees had two passes at Cole already and both times whiffed on him. I'm afraid it might be a third strike this winter. Anyhow, we'll find out soon enough come December-January or perhaps February, as both have Scott Boras as their agent.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, winning over 100 games each of the last three seasons will give a team some confidence. I thought the Astros' players and A.J. Hinch were gracious in their post game comments. They certainly did not trash talk the Yankees or the Nationals. They do have a lot of well earned confidence in their ability to persevere and hang tough.

I know you're just stating an opinion, though. The Yankees have won 27 World Series in their illustrious history, so I'm not feeling too bad about rooting for the Astros to win a 2nd time. :)

- Walter.
Hey, Yankee fans are the most cocky which is why they're my second most hated fanbase behind the Red Sox Nation. I despised Yankee fans on the whole. It didn't used to be that way, but, George Steinbrenner ruined them with his mantra that not winning the WS is a failed season. They have no respect for the game as to how difficult it is to win a WS title. Of course, I'm speaking in general terms as not all Yankee fans are like that. With that said, I don't like your team, but, I do respect them as they're really, really good.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Right, they haven't celebrated a WS title since the 1920's when Walter Johnson was on the mound.

That long, huh? Well, even if they don't take it, I'll take pride in that fact that the Nationals did indeed make it to a World Series, and be proud of 'em for that.

Others aren't as charitable-- according to these jokers, it's not enough to make it to the championship round in your sport; you have to actually win it, or you're still no good!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That long, huh? Well, even if they don't take it, I'll take pride in that fact that the Nationals did indeed make it to a World Series, and be proud of 'em for that.

Others aren't as charitable-- according to these jokers, it's not enough to make it to the championship round in your sport; you have to actually win it, or you're still no good!
It's one of reasons why my passion for sports has diminished over time. Too many of the media and fans have placed too much emphasis on winning titles while devaluing what a team and player(s) do in the regular season. Furthermore, they diminish the past great players in their respective sports like they didn't exist at all. Just a total lack of respect for the game and its history. ESPN, Fox and all the rest of the media are just horrible in that respect.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If he were a "good" GM, he would have had more than one championship in 15 years and not presided over the Yankees first decade without so much as a pennant in one hundred years. He's totally clueless on the fact that you can't win a championship without a legitimate starting rotation.

I would give anything for the ghost of George to come back and fire him.
Yeah, your type of Yankee fandom is why I have a hard time remaining a Yankees fan and why I quit posting on Yankees fan boards.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It's one of reasons why my passion for sports has diminished over time. Too many of the media and fans have placed too much emphasis on winning titles while devaluing what a team and player(s) do in the regular season. Furthermore, they diminish the past great players in their respective sports like they didn't exist at all. Just a total lack of respect for the game and its history. ESPN, Fox and all the rest of the media are just horrible in that respect.

Great point! The way you put it, I would take it, is that because the Buffalo Bills didn't win a title in any of the four chances they've had at the Super Bowl, they are still no good, and the great players they've had (Thurman Thomas, et al.) are equally no good-- is that it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.