1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2019 MLB Season

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick_S, Mar 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Surprise, surprise, reports are that Maddon is the new Angels manager.;) Of course, this was an owner's hire as Maddon was previously with the Angels as their bench coach for a long time before becoming Tampa's manager.

Osato likes this.
  2. Message #562 of 761 Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

2004 was interesting. St Louis never led, but St Louis was tied as late as the 8th inning of G1 looking like they might pull off a great comeback, but then never led or was tied again at the end of any inning in G2-4. But that 8 game winning streak after being down 3-0 in the ALCS after being destroyed by the Yankees in G3 and then down 4-3 in the B9 with Rivera on the mound was an epic run.

Looking of the old linescores I found in interesting that Boston scored in the 1st inning of every game.
    4 in the 1st of G1 and up 7-2 at one point. St Louis came back to tie 7-7 after 6 and 9-9 after the top of the 8th, but Boston scored in the B8 to win the game

G2 (6-2) Boston scored 2 in the B1 -- StL cut it to 2-1, but then it was 6-1 before StL scored their other run late in the game
    G3 (4-1) 1 in the Top 1st -- StL scored a single run in B9 on a solo HR with one out
    G4 (3-0) 1 in the Top 1st

3. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    Congratulations to the Nationals for sweeping the Cardinals in the NLCS and I'm rooting for you in World Series.

ALCS today: Field of Wet Dreams.

4. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    MLB Radio High Heat host Chris Russo hates what Hinch is doing with the rotation- moving Greinke to game 4, Verlander game 5, and forgetting the bullpening that was supposed to be used tonight. I thought this is what he would do, but the problem will be if the Astros lose the next 2 games. Hinch will have to pitch Cole on short rest in game 6, then really have to scramble in game 7. Hinch wants Greinke and Verlander to try to take 1 more game in the Bronx, and put the Yanks in a stranglehold.

5. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Kevin Hewell
    LOL

I'm rooting for the Nats as well.

MartinP. and bmasters9 like this.
  6. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    So am I-- they deserve it!

MartinP. likes this.
  7. Message #567 of 761 Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

Ugh -- can't root for a Wild Card.

I was going to have a hard time if the Yankees pulled it out, but UGGGH at the Yankees Defense. What a meltdown.

If Astros can finish this out -- Up 3-1 and Verlander and Cole upcoming. The question then comes out whether to take a chance and throw the #4 starter (?? Miley or Urquidy -- not even sure whose out there right now) out there tomorrow and save the Big 2 for Home Games with a bit of extra rest -- or even to slot them as WS 1-2 assuming the Astros can clean house.

Extremely unlikely a manager would do that, but it would be an interesting move.

8. MartinP.

Martin
    I'd like your opinion as to why you can't.

I don't mind because the three divisions in each league aren't exactly evenly matched, nor do they play each other in equal amounts and add in Inter-League play you might be playing the Rays & Yankees or a really week division, so if a Wild Card team can match a division winner then I don't mind so much. For example, the second half of the season, the Dodgers and the Nationals had the exact same record.

Do you think, as I do, the first round, the division series, should be 4/7 games instead of 3/5?

Does anyone else think Aaron Judge is kinda creepy?

9. Message #569 of 761 Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

DS -- 7 games ONLY if they cut the regular season back to 154G

I've written here before -- I don't like wild cards and the unbalanced schedules are a part of it.
    If you don't win your Division, you don't deserve to make the playoffs.
    I'd be for 8 4 team divisions or better yet 4 8 team divisions and drop the DS completely.

Yes I realize none of those things are going to happen, but I can still dream

The other thing I want to see b/c I'm tired of seeing late March Snowouts and 25-30 degree weather in the WS (icicles don't belong in baseball) -- the season needs to start around April 7-10 and end no later than Oct 15th unless folks are going to vote for Off Site WS in Baseball Weather stadiums.

Malcolm R likes this.
  10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

If you're looking for a guy to strike out in key situations. He's your guy. Some will say that's unfair criticism from a Red Sox fan, but his swing is way too long and he swings too hard. Always has. I get a Dave Kingman vibe from Judge.

OTOH, Gleyber Torres has incredible potential and is the real deal, in my opinion.

MartinP. likes this.
  11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Let me comment here as one of the few Yankee fans on this forum. Judge is a much better hitter than Dave Kingman. Judge's main issue is his size as the home plate umpire continues to call strikes on him that are below his knees.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    What's so creepy about him?

13. Robert Crawford

Robert
    The Yankees aren't good enough to beat the Astros. The number of injuries didn't help them which is why I stated long ago that they weren't winning the WS this year as I had a feeling of bad karma. With that said, their starting pitching isn't good enough. Both, Cashman and Hal Steinbrenner need to fix it! Having a great bullpen is fine and dandy, but if your starting pitching can't give you quality length then you're leaving yourself open to shuffling bullpen arms that can blow up as relievers can be spotty except for the special ones like Mo Rivera.

I love the WC so I have no issue rooting for the Nationals as it would be a great story of redemption and destiny.

14. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I don't like the Yankees, but I certainly respect them. Judge is certainly a far better hitter than Kingman was, though he incredibly streaky and still doesn't seem to adjust well in the game and when he's struggling. From what I can tell, he certainly seems to be good guy and definitely no creep factor from me -- other than the fact he needs to be a Power Forward or a Tight End.

In a lot of ways he actually reminds me more of Dave Winfield with a little less speed. I just wish he could stay healthy for a couple seasons. Just for comp -- Winfield was 6-6 220, Judge 6-7 280. The dude is just massive

15. Robert Crawford

Robert
    You and about a couple of million Yankees fans.

16. Message #576 of 761 Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    MartinP.

Martin
    Just a vibe.

17. MartinP.

Martin
    Speaking of healthy...can someone explain to me if Giancarlo Stanton cannot play, :emoji_head_bandage: why is he on the roster?

Too bad my Dodgers didn't make it this year. It's supposed to be 90° here on Tuesday. :emoji_sun_with_face:

18. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Well, that vibe you're getting must be of a singular variety.

19. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Don't post a lot about baseball, but I'm pretty excited about my beloved 'stros taking a 3-1 lead against NY. I think George Springer has had an off post-season so far, but he is starting to show some signs of life. If his bat gets hot, I think the Astros are going to do just fine. Of course they still have to eliminate NY, but I think the odds of the Yankees beating both Verlander and Cole are pretty slim.

As far as Russo and his critique of Hinch goes; well Greinke and the Astros bullpen got the job done, with a big assist from the Yankees who squandered a lot of potential runs. Yankees were 0 for 7 with RISP.

The announcers for game 4 were talking about the decision to start Verlander in game 5, with Hinch's position being that he wanted to keep the pressure on NY and not give them an opportunity to reverse the momentum of the series. It isn't over until its over, but I'd rather be at 3-1 vs. 1-3. :)

- Walter.

20. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    If baseball ever does what the NFL does- place the championship series in a neutral site- I’ll be done with the sport. It would be completely unfair to fan bases that have been suffering for decades along with a team that never makes it to the World Series (can you imagine relocating the 2016 series out of Wrigley?). Leagues that have multi-game championship series couldn’t
    logistically do this anyway- they couldn’t get enough fans of the competing teams to attend the games due to time and money factors.

MartinP. likes this.