What's new

2019-2020 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
railroad-potbelly-stove-pot-belly-wood-burning-stoves-potbelly-stove-at-museum-planing-mill-photo-sharing-railroad-antique-bu-pot-belly-wood-burning-stoves-antique-railroad-potbelly-stove-for-sale.jpg

Time to gather 'round the stove and figure out how our favorite teams can make things better (or screw things up even more!) for next season.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For the Red Sox:

The good news: JD Martinez decides NOT to opt out of his contract with Boston.

The bad news: Martinez' decision will make it incredibly hard for the Sox to keep Mookie Betts--especially with them saying they want to get under the luxury tax threshold. Something tells me they won't be under next season.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Sox could find a trade partner to take JD, which will make it easier for them to offer a fair market deal to Mookie, + a few dollars more. I’d like to see them find a team that would want Price (the Sox would have to swallow at least
1/3 of the money for this to happen). Seems to me Price doesn’t love it in Boston, and a change to a town that wouldn’t be as rabid or critical better suits his personality.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'm looking for the Yankees to get an "impact" pitcher. Who? I'm not sure . Will Stanton stay - again not sure . Ditto Didi Gregorius, and Encarnacion. It will be interesting to see which direction Cashman goes in.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Will the Yankees give Geritt Cole the 250 million dollars his agent will try for ?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Yankees hired their new pitching coach from the Indians organization that was credited for helping to develop some of their young starters. Rothschild needed to go and Cashman took care of that. He also fired a bunch of minor league pitching coaches.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Will the Yankees give Geritt Cole the 250 million dollars his agent will try for ?
I would be surprise if Cole doesn't become an Angel as even if the Yankees match the Angels offer, he's from Orange County. Another thing, Cole won't sign with any team until three months from now so I doubt Cashman waits that long before making some movies to fortified his team.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Seems that early reports of salaries turn out to be inflated compared to when the players do sign, at least in the past couple of off seasons.
Cole won’t likely get $250 if the contract is less than 7 years.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Man, it's been a rough few weeks for the Astros as they're involved in another controversy.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Speaking of controversy (my choice of word would be travesty or an outrage)- Twins manager Baldelli wins AL manager of the year. He’s the least deserving of the 3 candidates.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So Kapler gets another managerial job with the Giants. Not surprising considering who runs the Giants baseball operations and their Dodgers connection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This Astros controversy about stealing signs is gaining steam and is looking bad for that organization. I suspect after the MLB investigation is completed that suspensions, fines and lost draft choices might be handled out.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Man, it's been a rough few weeks for the Astros as they're involved in another controversy.

I'm not surprised in the least.

Classy organization...sign stealing, harassing a female reporter, the only player to be disciplined by MLB this year for a gay slur, domestic violence controversy and general obnoxiousness.
_______

And this today: CBS reports discuss the Houston Astros used sensory wristband devices to relay stolen signs.

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Suspending Hinch for a season would send a powerful signal in addition to the punishments that would not be seen as significant by the public at large (Draft picks have an impact but the casual fan doesn't see that as significant compared to NFL or NBA draft picks).

Needless to say, I'm more ticked off by the 2017 ALCS final outcome. Perhaps the Yankees still have a better manager if this hadn't happened. (The ALCS merits more attention than the World Series since the Astros did not have a perfect home record in the WS)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Jacoby Ellsbury released and gets $26 million. Another testament to the long-term incompetence of Brian Cashman as a GM.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not surprised in the least.

Classy organization...sign stealing, harassing a female reporter, the only player to be disciplined by MLB this year for a gay slur, domestic violence controversy and general obnoxiousness.
_______

And this today: CBS reports discuss the Houston Astros used sensory wristband devices to relay stolen signs.
Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred just acknowledged that the investigation into the Houston Astros will involve looking into the 2018 and 2019 seasons as well as 2017.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Met fans should be rejoicing as the Wilpons are selling controlling interest in the Mets. Now, if only James Dolan can do the same with my beloved Knicks.:)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Met fans should be rejoicing as the Wilpons are selling controlling interest in the Mets. Now, if only James Dolan can do the same with my beloved Knicks.:)
Off topic, but I can’t understand why people give their good money to Dolan by packing MSG to
watch his team. I say starve him out of ownership.

Users who are viewing this thread