2019 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Only Girardi has won.
The other two are just essentially good ole’ boy network guys.
Baker is 100 years old and never got to a series as mngr from what I remember .
Showalter has been manager under McPhail in the Orioles org previously and I don’t think he ever lasts long, wears on players.

Girardi has a second interview tomorrow.
Of these three I’d rather have him.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Only Girardi has won.
Showalter has been manager under McPhail in the Orioles org previously and I don’t think he ever lasts long, wears on players.

Baker got to the 2002 series as Giants manager vs. the Angels.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Only Girardi has won.

Buck lasted about nine seasons with the Orioles which is a long stint as a manager with one team. If the Phillies are smart they would hire Girardi. I see he has a second interview with the Mets too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just can’t agree that a fan cost a team a shot at the World Series. The Cubs SS committed the worst error in major league history to contribute a lot more to that disastrous inning, then the team folded like a cheap suit. To blame the fan
(I refuse to type his name), Buckner (the game was tied when that ground ball was hit), and Dekinger (the Cardinals made critical fielding mistakes after that call) is too easy. The teams in question just didn’t get the job done.
Yeah, Bartman got a bad rap from Cubs fans and the media. The lost of that series is on them as they had their chances and just blew it. The same thing with Buckner as the Sox had other opportunities to win that series too.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yeah, Bartman got a bad rap from Cubs fans and the media. The lost of that series is on them as they had their chances and just blew it. The same thing with Buckner as the Sox had other opportunities to win that series too.
My friend who is a die-hard (and sometimes a degenerate) Red Sox fan told me that the team was one strike away from winning in that 10th inning 4 different times before the game was tied.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Only Girardi has won.

Scuttlebutt is Girardi is the favorite to get the Phils job.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Girardi could do well in Philly.
He will do a much better job managing the game than his predecessor. The Mets will sign some analytics manager that doesn't cost much money, but Girardi is an analytics guy too, who some Yankee fans nickname "Binder Joe" as a slight to him.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
A big surprise that the Nationals stormed back from a 2-0 1st inning deficit to take game 1 from the bulletproof Cole and the Astros. The Astros struck out 12 times last night- rare for them. They haven’t been hitting much in the playoffs- just a big hit once in a while.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looks like David Ross will be named the Cubs new manager this week, probably on Thursday without any WS game to intrude on. I suspect the Phillies might do the same type of announcement on Thursday.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Well, One Down and Four to Go. (From my perspective as a 'stros fan. :) )

The game certainly didn't go the way that I thought it might. Surprised at the performances by both starting pitchers.

- Walter.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Well, One Down and Four to Go. (From my perspective as a 'stros fan. :) )

The game certainly didn't go the way that I thought it might. Surprised at the performances by both starting pitchers.

- Walter.

1 down, 3 to go from mine as (at least for this World Series) a Nationals advocate!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't have a horse in this race, but I'd like to see Washington win simply because they never have. Houston won just two years ago.

What's with all the annoying train whistles at the ballpark? I thought they were the Astros, as in "astronauts"? What do trains have to do with anything?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A big surprise that the Nationals stormed back from a 2-0 1st inning deficit to take game 1 from the bulletproof Cole and the Astros. The Astros struck out 12 times last night- rare for them. They haven’t been hitting much in the playoffs- just a big hit once in a while.

Everything the Astros weren't all year. They should have had 5 or 6 runs in those first few innings and invariably when you don't bury a team when you have the opportunity. Twelve men left on base with 8 or 9 in scoring position, but Soto is an incredible hitter who seems to have gotten hsi swing fixed late in teh NLCS

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
What's with all the annoying train whistles at the ballpark? I thought they were the Astros, as in "astronauts"? What do trains have to do with anything?
Minute Maid Park is built at the site of Houston's former train station, Union Station. The now-renovated Union Station building serves as the main entrance into the ballpark, and is also the location of the team's offices. So the train pays homage to the site's former railroad heritage -- as did Junction Jack, the mascot the Astros created when the they first moved to then-Enron Field (he has, thankfully, since been replaced by Orbit).

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^

So, to alter the phrase a bit, the Nationals need to "not keep the train moving," while they're in Houston.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
If the Astros lose tonight, they’ll have to do something rare in baseball history- only 3 teams out of 25 in the 2-3-2 format has lost the first 2 World Series games at home, then come back to
win the series (1985 Royals, 1986 Mets and
1996 Yankees).

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What a complete meltdown. Nats just seem to hitting on all cylinders continuing their September steamroller.

Starting to remind me more and more of the 1990 upset of the massively favored A;s or 1969 Mets/Orioles

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What a complete meltdown. Nats just seem to hitting on all cylinders continuing their September steamroller.

Starting to remind me more and more of the 1990 upset of the massively favored A;s or 1969 Mets/Orioles
Not exactly as the Nats were the favorites to win the NL East division prior to the 2019 season. Also, the Nationals have been considered WS contenders for the last several years now despite their playoff failures. The Mets came out of nowhere to catch the Cubs and go on to playoff success in 1969. The same with the Reds in 1990. Washington got off to a terrible start, but rebounded in the second half to win a WC spot and remain hot so far throughout the playoffs. The advantage the Astros had over the Yankees and the Rays was better starting pitching. Washington has the starting pitching to match the Astros. Furthermore, the Nats offense is not as good as the Astros, but they're not chopped liver either and has productive hitters up and down their lineup. The Nats weakness has been their bullpen which is why they didn't win the NL East. However, in the playoffs, you can do things like re-enforcing your bullpen by using some starting pitchers to throw an inning or two on their throw day due to WS off days and they had a rested pitching staff because they swept the NLCS.

No question this would be an upset if the Nats win two more games. However, the Nats winning the Series isn't close to being an upset like the Mets were in 1969.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.