What's new

2018 Black Friday Deals (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Now that all of my BF 4K titles are trickling in via mail/UPS/Fedex, I had no idea how many titles I had bought, but since I knew most of the 4K titles tend to stay around $20-$30 for the rest of the year, I figure I'd splurge and get any of them that piqued my interest and were in that $10 range, and maybe a few upwards toward $15 at the higher limit. Heck, I bought Thor Ragnorak for $15 since it's usually $22-$23 normally, and I wasn't planning on buying it otherwise. Same goes with most of the Disney/Marvel Cinematic Universe 4k titles.

Thanks for mentioning the Thor price, Patrick. I missed that one, but just ordered it from Amazon.

Like you, I picked up quite a few 4K/UHD titles over the last week due to the pricing. Along with the above, I also picked up:

Air Force One
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Avengers: Infinity War
Deadpool 2
First Blood
Goodfellas
Jumanji (the original film)
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

That's more 4K titles than I had purchased over the past 3-4 months! Waiting on Black Friday week can really pay off. Since I used Amazon credits on some of the purchases, those 9 titles only cost me $50 total out of pocket.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Here's my haul. Put in very little effort this year, but hit the Best Buy sale at the right time.

Pre-Thanksgiving (Amazon):
The Greatest Showman [4K Ultra HD+Blu-ray+Digital]
List: $39.99; Purchase Price: $15.00

Thanksgiving (Best Buy website):
Air Force One [4K Ultra HD+Blu-Ray+Digital]
List: $22.99; Purchase Price: $9.99

Halloween [4K Ultra HD+Blu-ray]
List: $17.99; Purchase Price: $7.99

Sicario [4K Ultra HD+Blu-ray+Digital HD]
List: $29.99; Purchase Price: $7.99

Ant-Man and the Wasp [4K Ultra HD+Bluray+Digital Code]
List: $29.99; Purchase Price: $14.99

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets [4K Ultra HD+Bluray+Digital HD]
List: $29.99; Purchase Price: $7.99

Sicario: Day of the Soldado [4K Ultra HD+Blu-ray+Digital]
List: $29.99; Purchase Price: $9.99

Thanksgiving (DeepDiscount.com):

Black Lightning: The Complete First Season [Blu-Ray]
List: $39.99; Purchase Price: $15.59

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince [4K Ultra HD+Blu-ray+Digital]
List: $41.99; Purchase Price: $17.80

The Last Ship: The Complete Fourth Season [Blu-ray]
List: $39.99; Purchase Price: $12.78

Black Friday (Walmart Store):
The Big Lebowski [4K Ultra HD+Blu-ray+Digital]
List: $29.99; Purchase Price: $17.96

Overall:
Total List Price: $352.89
Total Purchase Price: $138.07
Total Savings over List: $214.82

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Greatest Showman [4K Ultra HD+Blu-ray+Digital]
List: $39.99; Purchase Price: $15.00
Picked this up at Walmart tonight for $8.96 :P Quite a few 4K discs left over at my Walmart tonight (Skyscraper, both Kingsman films, both John Wick films, Tomb Raider, to name a few I can recall). I wanted to buy some, but I haven't yet been able to justify re-buying titles I already have on blu-ray, especially since I don't yet have a 4K display.

Thanks to @Radioman970 also, for the heads-up about The Lorax 3D at Walmart. Picked that one up for $3.96. I was hoping there might have been a few more 3D titles, but didn't see any others. They had regular blu's of titles that were available on 3D, like Kung Fu Panda 3 and Assassin's Creed, but no 3D versions.

Walmart had the Hunger Games 4 movie blu for $9.96. Isn't that like $40 less that it normal goes after?
I hoped to find this, but was not that lucky. I did find the 4-movie Star Trek: TNG set, though, for $9.96.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I got a smidge over 30 movies all averaging around $12 each but....

I just opened King Kong 4K from Best Buy and it was shrink wrapped sloppily with the BB in store pick up sticker under the sw.

Inside was only the Blu-ray special features disk.
No movie and no 4K disc. So back to the store today.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Looks like I've tallied 42(!) 4K titles (mostly from Amazon), including a few sets like the Harry Potter complete set, Mission Impossible complete-so-far movie set (from DeepDiscount deal), Matrix Trilogy, X-Men (first) Trilogy, Predator 3-movie set, (so far) in these BF/CM-week sales. IF I actually count the individual movies in those sets, I guess my tally reaches 60(!). Certainly had not expected to dive in for 4K titles like that even though I did buy Incredibles 2 on 4K (mainly because it cost almost the same as the BD during release week) just ahead of these sales... and no, still don't have definite plans to own a 4K player (let alone 4K display) all that soon despite that... :P

Also picked up another 30-plus regular BD titles on top of the 4K binge, including the Twilight Zone complete set (for the WAF, LOL :D), Ash vs Evil Dead series set and bunch of Amazon UK imports that include a Tarkovsky set, 2 Truffaut sets, the 2 Twin Peaks sets (that are identical to US release), soon-to-be-released Once Upon A Time in China set (from Eureka!) and some Jackie Chan classics (mostly from Eureka as well). I guess that tally would also balloon to exceed 50 if I counted individual movies w/in sets... :P And still expect to get more from the B&N Criterion sale -- only got around to buying 2 of those (w/ CC rewards GCs) so far...

Not sure what the avg prices were, but I'd guesstimate ~$11 each for the 4K movies (after accounting for multi-movie sets). The BD titles were generally much cheaper (as can be expected), except for the Criterion ones of course -- the Eureka imports (which also don't generally drop much in price) are more comparable to my 4K avg.

And not sure how exactly I'll move forward re: my BD/4K split/purchases beyond these sales. I certainly don't expect to upgrade all (or probably even most) titles to 4K even when I eventually upgrade the hardware. Unless/until 4K title prices drop to existing BD levels (just prior to these sales), I'll probably continue to buy mostly BDs going forward. I even (finally) ended up just buying Infinity War on BD instead of 4K because the upgrade just doesn't sound convincing enough to me while the price diff was $8 (or over 2x) during the sales -- it's interesting that so many such eye-candy, high-CGI/FX comic action flicks have only been produced on 2K DIs that might only yield minor-to-incremental improvements for 4K UHD over BD... and makes me wonder if there will eventually be new remasters to take greater advantage of the format...

I just opened King Kong 4K from Best Buy and it was shrink wrapped sloppily with the BB in store pick up sticker under the sw.

Inside was only the Blu-ray special features disk.
No movie and no 4K disc. So back to the store today.

That happened to me once before (for a regular BD title) at BB as well. Don't recall that ever happening any other time/place at all despite having bought well over 2K titles by now between DVDs and BDs.

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I had this at BB once before years ago.

Both times they exchanged it with no issue and apologized.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
BB has The Martian 3D and the first Narnia 2D for $9.99 each. I've had problems finding these so I thought others might want.

DD had Mission Impossible complete series for about $63 with tax/ship. amazon marketplace

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Amazon is having some really good deals on the Star Trek series on blu ray.
Tng, enterprise, animated series and all of the films.....

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Now I’m on the second disc to have an error.

The Goodfellas 4K disc has a defect that prevents it from being played. Player can’t read it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

The Goodfellas 4K disc has a defect that prevents it from being played. Player can’t read it.

Me thinks manufacturers really need to get their act to together. This sorta thing really deters adoption of new formats/products -- and of course, this has become a recurring theme re: digital video disc formats.

Reading such reports is going to start make me regret taking the dive into buying 4K discs before having definite plans for a player in near future... :unsure:

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Tony, forgive me, but it's not playing at all or at a certain point in the movie?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Won’t play at all.
There is a visible defect on the edge of the disc.

Gotta find that WB phone number.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’ve contacted Warner about this.

They replied by asking me for the same info I sent in the original request.
Now just waiting again.

I’d just return and exchange but nobody around here has it in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks