What's new

2018 Black Friday Deals (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If anyone lives in southern NH/ME area, Bull Moose will have all 4K discs for half-price, in-store only. New in-stock items only.

upload_2018-11-19_23-40-55.png

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm a bit surprised that at this stage in the life of physical media that these players are still so darn expensive.

Agreed. Supply and demand? No format war this time?
Plus some of the manufacturers like Panasonic are only making high end players??

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I'd think that after all these years of building and tweaking disc players to accommodate each evolution of discs, you'd think manufacturers could at this point create a full featured and sturdy disc player for well under the $99 mark. Why are they still trying to sell them at the pricing early DVD players used to be? Makes no sense.

Regardless, I don't see 4K discs or players flying off shelves at Christmas time like we used to see back in the early 2000's. I'd bet the huge sellers will be smart TV's and things like Roku stick or similar devices being in the top 5 Christmas gifts list.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
There WERE no 4K discs or players in the early 2000's.

I realize that, but what I'm trying to get at is that at this stage in the disc evolution game and with all the tech we have available to us vs. 20 years ago, why is it that disc player manufacturers can't pump up a ton of high end fully featured 4K players at the $99 price point (or less) vs trying to sell them at $150-$250++ a piece??

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Yeah could be but they aren't doing themselves any favor other than catering to the niche market that seems to be only group chasing these discs.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I seriously doubt that the availability of super-cheap 4K players would change the market for 4K UHD discs very much.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Why are they still trying to sell them at the pricing early DVD players used to be? Makes no sense.
Early DVD players were hovering close to $500 -$600 in the beginning for a standard player.

Last edited:

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Probably not, those days are long gone, but it could give it a bit of a boost if they could pull it off. That and get discs down out of the stratosphere on pricing. Get down to the $10 range. At this point though, I think by next year it will be an even more of dead man walking format.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We will not be participating in Black Friday sales this year. First of all, we really don’t need anything and secondly, the dates of the sales have been extended so much that there really is no need to panic and rush anymore.

About 10 years ago, sales were only on Friday. Then the stores started opening at 6:00 a.m. Then 12:00 midnight. Last year some were open Thanksgiving Day. We also found many sales started a week earlier and continued for a week later.

We decided to do any shopping we are going to do about a week later. This also avoids hacking your way through the crowdes with a machete.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I have to agree. It's gotten to the point you can shop "Black Friday" 3 Friday's before the actual "Black Friday". I've already taken care of most of our Xmas shopping using these extra early BF pricing offers many stores have turned on.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Probably not, those days are long gone, but it could give it a bit of a boost if they could pull it off. That and get discs down out of the stratosphere on pricing. Get down to the $10 range. At this point though, I think by next year it will be an even more of dead man walking format.
The 4K/UHD disc market was always intended to be a niche market unlike DVD or Blu-ray which were clearly mass market products.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If anyone is looking to upgrade a player, nearly every national retailer has one featured in their BF ad.

Target:
upload_2018-11-21_12-33-9.png

Best Buy has both 4K and blu-ray:
upload_2018-11-21_12-17-24.png

Walmart appears to have blu-ray only (looks like the same as Best Buy's LG blu):
upload_2018-11-21_12-16-7.png

Costco:

upload_2018-11-21_12-18-57.png

Kohl's also seems to have the Samsung 4K player in some stores, but it seems to be more expensive than can be found other places, unless you can stack coupons or Kohl's rewards/Kohl's Cash discounts:

upload_2018-11-21_12-29-2.png

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Walmart's Black Friday is live. Some prices have updated already, others are trickling in.

It's frustrating that Best Buy isn't announcing a start time for its online sale this year. There's nothing I want bad enough to chain myself to the computer refreshing all night long.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I believe so. I have a 4K player hooked to my 1080p projector and have watched a handful of 4K discs with no issues.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I gave a 4K player hooked up to my 5 year old 80” Vizio.

Still need the certified for 4K hdmi wire though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks