What's new

2014 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Scott Merryfield said:
By the first half, you can forget about the Falcons upsetting the Packers. Green Bay is taking care of business tonight and Atlanta looks incapable of keeping up.
.....And then Green Bay takes their foot off the gas, and stops playing defense.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dheiner said:
.....And then Green Bay takes their foot off the gas, and stops playing defense.
If Green Bay does that if they play Seattle in the playoffs, I don't think the Packers will win. But that game will matter so much on where it is played. I don't see the Packers losing another regular-season game this year. So it would most likely be at Lambeau Field if they were to meet.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
If Green Bay does that if they play Seattle in the playoffs, I don't think the Packers will win. But that game will matter so much on where it is played. I don't see the Packers losing another regular-season game this year. So it would most likely be at Lambeau Field if they were to meet.
Had the Packers been playing Seattle in a playoff game instead of the Falcons in a regular season game, I very much doubt they put it on cruise control in the 2nd half, either.

I agree that home field will mean a lot for these two teams -- probably more so than any other playoff team (except maybe Denver). Both Seattle and Green Bay are very difficult to beat on their home turf, especially in meaningful games.

BTW, while listening to sports radio on my commute home last night, there was a discussion about the last time the Lions won a road playoff game. I never heard the answer, but I know it has to be 1957 or earlier. Couple that with the fact that Matt Stafford has never won a road game against a team with a winning record, and I think the odds of Detroit getting to the Super Bowl as a wildcard team are worse than the team bus getting hit by lightening on the way to the game. :wacko:

Edit: I just looked it up -- Detroit's last road playoff victory was in the divisional round of the 1957 playoffs -- 31-27 over San Francisco. They beat the Browns the next week at home for the NFL Championship. The Lions have lost 9 straight road playoff games since, and are 1-1 at home since that championship.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Cardinals win last night's snooze fest, but lose another QB. Arizona will probably make the playoffs, but I think they are primed for a quick exit. If Seattle beats them next week, they will likely be playing on the road as a wild card. I'm not sure they will be able to beat even the NFC South winner with a 3rd string QB. Their defense is solid, but that may not be enough.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Under the heading of the truth is stranger than fiction: Jim Schwartz was able to do something this year as defensive coordinator in Buffalo that he was unable to do as Detroit Lions head coach -- sweep the NFC North!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Michigan has reportedly offered Jim Harbaugh an $8M+ per year contract to be their next head coach. One thing is for certain -- even if Harbaugh turns them down, the alumni cannot complain that the school did not make a serious run at hiring him. Hopefully this means that U of M is finally willing to pony up the money to hire a big time coach. They cannot get a third consecutive hire wrong.

Other rumors have Harbaugh as the next Dolphins coach, as the owner is a U of M alumnus and really wants Jimmy. I still think Chicago is the front runner, though, as Tressman is sure to be canned by the Bears. Benching Cutler for Jimmy Clausen just stinks of desperation.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
The story this side of the lake is that it's a smokescreen by The Victors to save face. That they made the offer expecting/hoping that Harbaugh will turn it down, because he wants to stay in the pros, and not have to deal with recruiting.

Flat-landers are saying Da Bears want him as their next head coach, and I've also heard The J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets, want him.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
One thing is certain -- if Harbaugh hits the open market, he will have lots of choices. It will be interesting to watch the poker match between him and the 49ers, though. Since Harbaugh is under contract for one more year, if San Fran doesn't fire him then Jim cannot go anywhere in NFL without the Niners getting a say-so and probably some compensation. He could bolt for Michigan, though, by just coming up with a $5M buyout -- which I'm sure some alums would cover.

All should become clear after next weekend.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's looking like someone is going to win 10 or even 11 games and not get in. I'm dreaming to think the league would ever implement an 8-8 policy, saying that you have to win your division with a non-losing record to be seeded for the playoffs.

People talk about the weak NFC South as proof the argument for expanding the playoffs is moot, and yet, because of that division, a quality team with a much better record will be watching from home in a few weeks. That seems like a good reason to either expand the playoffs or only seed teams with non-losing records.

The Saints could finish 8-8 I suppose.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Scott Merryfield said:
One thing is certain -- if Harbaugh hits the open market, he will have lots of choices.
I'm not sure why, as he seems to have turned a playoff contending team into an also-ran.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Malcolm R said:
I'm not sure why, as he seems to have turned a playoff contending team into an also-ran.
But he also is the one responsible for that team being a playoff contender for the past few years. Here is the last decade or so of Niners head coaches:

Dennis Erickson:
2003: 7-9
2004: 2-14

Mike Nolan:
2005: 4-12
2006: 7-9
2007: 5-11
2008: 7-9 (SIngletary finished season)

Mike Singletary:
2009: 8-8
2010: 6-10 (Defensive Line coach Jim Tomsula coached the last game and won)

None of the above ever advanced to the playoffs.

Jim Harbaugh:
2011: 13-3, 1-1 in the post season
2012: 11-4-1, 2-0 in the playoffs, lost the Super Bowl
2013: 12-4, 2-1 in the playoffs, lost the NFCC game
2014: 7-7 to date

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
Not a big Harbaugh but this statement is so far removed from reality it should be ignored.The Niners are a team on the decline but it is not because of the HC.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Patrick_S said:
The Niners are a team on the decline but it is not because of the HC.
Why not? Isn't the HC the "captain" of the ship? In press conferences, they always take full responsibility for the execution of the game and any failures of the team: "I'm the Head Coach, it starts and ends with me" (quote from numerous head coaches over the years).

This is a team expected to be in the Super Bowl this year and they won't make the playoffs. Enlighten us as to who else is in charge of leading this team from week-to-week, getting them ready for each game, creating/approving the game plan, setting personnel groupings and lineups, that should take the blame for a losing season instead of the head coach?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Hooray for the AMAZING comeback win by the Chargers last night!!!

THANK YOU to the Texans for beating the Ravens this morning!

The Chargers are now in control of their own destiny. Beat KC next week and we're in the playoffs!

Go Chargers!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks