What's new
World Wide Stereo

1 SVS 16-46PC-Plus VS 2 DIY Tempest Sonotubes (1 Viewer)

Jason Garver

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering which setup out of the two would give me the most (while still sounding good) bass.
1 SVS 16-46PC-Plus
or
2 DIY Tempest sonotubes

The DIY sonotubes would be powered by 250w PE plate amplifiers. The max height for the completed enclosure is 48". I really have no way of knowing what two of these would sound like. Either setup is going to end up costing around the same. I really dont have time to built the two enclosures, nor am I confident in my ability to finish them in an aesthetically pleasing manner. I will however find the time to make them if the bass will be just that much better.

The sub will be used for movies over 90% of the time. If any other details are needed please let me know. Thanks for looking.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
A single vented tempest is better compared to the CS Ultra. The DIY Tempests would be much better even if they are powered by the 250W plate amp.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Why use the PE amps? Just pick up something like the QSC rmx850 ($299) and you'd have 300w into each sub. If you have no limits on the size of the enclosures...say if you can go 21-24"(id) and 48" tall...the 15s would definitely give you more bang for the buck.

Tom V.
SVS

Jason Garver

Stunt Coordinator
Im not really worried about bang for the buck, although I would love to get off cheaper if possible.

I have had the chance to hear a dual SVS 20-39cs+ setup and I was absolutely blown away by it. I guess I asked the wrong question first. What commercialy finished subwoofer setup would I have to buy to beat the output of 2 diy Tempest sonotubes?

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Maybe a PB2-Ultra? I'm under the impression that a well-built Tempest is somewhere between the SVS Plus models and the Ultra in terms of output. And that's a serious subwoofer. I think Mike Strassburg got a dual Tempest in 480 liters with 700 watts and it hit... 127db at 32Hz at 1 meter?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Frank you have dual Tempests don't you? I know you had one finished anyway. Yours were a bit more in height if I recall correctly and tuned to 17-18 hz?

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Frank you have dual Tempests don't you? I know you had one finished anyway. Yours were a bit more in height if I recall correctly and tuned to 17-18 hz?
I have dual vented AV15's...I sold my CS Ultra to fund the project. Each woofer is in it's own 18" diamter sonotube that stands 71.5" tall, I made a grill for the top but it's still bare MDF so I haven't put it on yet...that will add another .75". To put it in perspective, it's about 10" taller than two 25-31's stacked on top of each other:), and I have two. They're tuned ~16.5Hz but I'm thinking of shaving a little off the port to tune it a little higher to get a little more punch. It's not like I'm lacking SPL...I chicken out before they do, usually when all the lights in the room start to dim to the bass notes:D. Each get's 750W via a Samson S1500, I choose it because of my experience with the S1000...I liked how quiet the fans are.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: Thats right.> AV15s... Another inch or so in length and your going to have to cut a whole in your ceiling! ;)

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Thats right.> AV15s... Another inch or so in length and your going to have to cut a whole in your ceiling!
They are huge, but their behind my L and R mains and I only moved my mains about 2" forward so they're not too intrusive.

All this talk about cutting holes in ceilings makes me want to do IB:).

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Why not Frank? All you need is the drivers. You already have the power and the IB could be another bass option. With your ability it would be easily doable.

Jason I tried to build a pair of speaker stands once and found it a little frustrating. It worked out in the end but the learning curb can be difficult to put up with if your not patient.

Jason Garver

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I am a little worried because I have never done ANY wordworking in my entire life. I would hate to spend all kinds of money only to end up with an ugly leaky sub.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Why not Frank? All you need is the drivers. You already have the power and the IB could be another bass option. With your ability it would be easily doable.
I seriously contemplated doing a 4 AV15 IB since there is an attic above me. The reason I didn't go with it is becuase there are bedrooms underneath the same ceiling and I figured if I did an IB, it would be too loud for everyone on the same level since the back wave would be vibrating their ceiling as well.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I recently helped a friend on the design and implementation of an dual AV15 IB in his basement. The adjacent fruit cellar begged for this application.

It came out really well, and the transition box actually was designed at the outset for two additional AV15s, and the woofer holes were pre-cut and sealed.

We are hitting 110+ dB (c-weighted) at the seat in a 3000 ft3 room with only two AV15s running off a single side of an S1000. The FR extends strong to 10 Hz, the limit of my test gear. There is a peak at 50 Hz that needs to be tamed but overall a great success.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks