What's new

$1,200 price point: anything better/equal to the SVS PB2 Plus? (1 Viewer)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I currently have a Cerwin Vega LW-15. I know; "it's a toy." Not bad though for what I paid for it though.

Time to upgrade.

I had set a $1K limit for my new music/HT sub. Was planning on building one and powering w/an external amp and then I came across the SVS PB2-Plus. I can't link to the page b/c I have less than 15 posts. :rolleyes:What an inane rule. Anyway...to say I drooled on the keyboard is an understatement.

At the $1,200 price point, is there any other sub I should be considering? This will be a dual-purpose sub, used for music (heavy metal, mostly...with some jazz thrown in) as much as movies.

I like it loud. If my eyes don't water, I'm not happy. :D

This is my first foray into "high-end" gear...I auditioned plenty of other subs at the CVs $500 price point and was happy with it for awhile, but I want more.

Opinions and suggestions would be welcome and helpful. Thanks.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=146561

Michael - since you are a new member, you may not have seen my review of the PB2+. Short of DIY, I don't think there is another OEM subwoofer than competes with the PB2+ at the $1200 price point.

There are many other PB2+ owners who can also chime in, and you should solicit their opinions too.

Regards,

Ed

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Hello Ed,

Thanks for the response, AND your stellar review!

Heh, actually, I DID read it. Twice. Awesome review; very in-depth and professionally done. :)

Your review was the last one I read before posting this thread.

Granted, this is a BIG step up for me; but I believe in buying the best you can afford, when you can afford it. I want this sub to be with me for a long time.

Hoping some other PB2+ owners chime in. Glad I found this place.

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

The SVS sub would be an excellent addition to any HT. If you bought it, I'm certain that you would be happy for many years. And there will be many folks here who will tell you it's the best sub they have heard at anywhere near its price point.

But if they haven't spent time with a VMPS Larger, then they haven't compared the PB2+ to its main competitor. And the VMPS Larger costs $649.00 (although it is unpowered).

Kevin

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Very short and right answer to your question... NO
Get this sub...I still have a hard time wondering how such great sounds can come from this thing for the price. I paid twice this for my dual NHT subs over 5 years ago which this obviously replaced with no comparison... not even close.

Jon_Krug

Stunt Coordinator
i agree 100% and am also a very happy pb2+ owner. from reading the reviews it was easy to tell that it would most likely go louder and deaper than anything else that i was considering (mainly the m&k mx350 and the velodyne hgs 12), but i was worried about it not being musical enough. if this is one of your worries, then stop worrying. i tested it side by side and it is def as musical as the others and alot deaper and alot louder. if u have anyone that has any sub's that u r thinking about purchasing, then the pb2+ is a perfect sub to order and do a side by side testing so u can just prove it to yourself.
goodluck

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks guys. Your replies are very reassuring. I can tell you this; this is a MAJOR purchase for me.

We all know the importance of a great sub; it's the "duct tape" of the audio world! It holds it all together! :D

I figure if I'm gonna go big, why not go real big and get something great that I won't have to replace in two years b/c it's just not cutting it anymore...like my CV sub. Nice, for "what it is." But no more than that.

As I said, I listen to music probably 60% of the time, movies the other 40% so musicality is very important. :)

Thanks again for the advice.

David Sailor

Agent
This was a big step for me, too....Spending $1200 on a sub I never heard after reading numerous posts. I was fortunate to have started the search about 2 days after Edward's post and am glad for the timing, it saved a lot of anguish. The guys at SVS were great also, answering all my questions. Truth be told, I never bothered to audition any other subs. I felt that convinced after reading so many positive comments. After the fact, I couldn't be happier. It plays as loud as I would ever want it, shakes the room, makes the radiators creak, blows lightbulbs, raises the hair on my neck, scares the crap out of unsuspecting visitors. I generally play 15 to 20 below reference and there is ample bass available. I'm not going to begin to say that I have an unbiased opinion about the pb2, I have never owned another sub, never even auditioned another one. I have no urge to own or audition any other sub, unless it's a second pb2, or maybe a pb2 ultra, or maybe a b4....

David

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
This is an amazing sub and you will have NO regrets. It has brought tears to even the most picky bass-heads on the planet.

You really can't go wrong.

There is also the VMPS subs that are unpowered (mentioned also in this thread) and competitively priced, but you have to buy the amp, etc and it's generally a hassle. VMPS can compete--definitely.

But at the end of the day, when all is said and done, the SVS has the amp already and comes from a company with FANTASTIC customer service. The SVS and VMPS are similar performing.....go with SVS!

Remember that this subs will make you cry. You have NEVER heard a subs like this. To take this step in the sub world from CV is a quantum leap in performance. Even if you become really wealthy, you wouldn't need any other sub. You're already there!

mark rush

Stunt Coordinator
something you might think about is keeping your Vega and buying two more and stack them one on top of the other, I have three PW2200 stacked in my corner and they rock, sure I could have done better for what I payed for them but it was one at a time type buy, and you hate throwing a used sub away if you know what I mean,put it to use
Mark

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks, Dave & Mark.

DAVE: It's good to know that I'm making a worthwhile "lifetime" investment. I"ve never dealt w/SVS before, but all the owner testimonials I've read all have the same unifying theme; SVS' customer service is excellent. I emailed them today w/some questions. I guess I'll find out soon enough for myself. :)

I looked into building my own (I've done this many times in the past)But the "standard" I was shooting for would've required a $500 amp, $200 driver and about another $200 in materials...not to mention a week of my time and the possibility of mucking something up. For $1300 shipped, I have piece of mind. I already have seen lots of pics of SVS products. The construction is solid. The weight of these things alone is a giveaway. ;)

MARK; You know, it's funny you should mention buying another one. The thought did cross my mind. Two 15's can give a lot of output. The CV is very good in it's price range. Better than the other $400=$500 subs I tested out. But it can be a little loose, and it's 150 watt amp doesn't cut it for long on big explosion type movie scenes.

Three of these things stacked in a corner WOULD be obscene. :emoji_thumbsup: That's for sure. But for the $1K that would cost me, I can pretty much buy this SVS sub.

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator
Holy #$%^ 3 pw2200 that must be awsome but you need 3 more for he other corner:D
My goal in life is to have so much bass if i turned it up full boar i would die from bass related heart failure lol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.