What's new

You can now upgrade your DVD's to HD using Vudu's At Home Disc to Digital (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
See! That's why I don't rip my own DVD's. You can't even discuss how rip them correctly. I've run into this problem before, seeking advice, and it never worked.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
This whole thread makes no sense. Joshua is REALLY pushing this Vudu servide for some reason. We even get to see the Vudu HD Movies pic in under his name? WOW!!

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I mean, not that it matters, I guess. If he genuinely loves something and wants to climb on top of a mountain and shout about it to the world, more power to him. Again: I wish I loved ANYTHING half as much as he seems to love Ultraviolet. It's inspiring :) Having said that... I don't know, man. I really think I'm gonna have to call "bravo sierra" on him being "just a college student." But again, not that it really matters, for the record. I'm not trying to rag on the guy. His discussion abilities leave a lot to be desired sometimes, but he doesn't seem like an out and out bad person or "troll" or anything. It would just be nice to have a little context, I guess.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Joshua Clinard
See! That's why I don't rip my own DVD's. You can discuss how to do!
AVS and Handbrake.fr have excellent threads on the topic. It's not hard, just tedious and time consuming (particularly if you want meta data, and particularly on older PCs). But it's a topic HTF keeps out of its threads (and I've bumped against this many times in the past) :)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I don't care if you believe me or not. I would love to work for vudu, I think that would be a great job. I am completing my last semester in college to get my associates degree in Computer Networking. And I just got out of the Navy 6 months ago. Check my facebook if you don't believe me. I just really want a lot of people to use UV, because Disney has said they might join in UltraViolet if it goes mainstream. And I really want them to join so I can Disc to Digital my Disney collection. They are my favorite So I am trying to help it along. Iv'e been a member of this forum for 10 years. But apparently people here don't think much of my opinion, so I think I'll just post somewhere else. They seem to be a lot more receptive to UV over at DVDTalk, blu-ray forums.com and AVSForum.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Joshua Clinard said:
I don't care if you believe me or not. I would love to work for vudu, I think that would be a great job. I am completing my last semester in college to get my associates degree in Computer Networking. And I just got out of the Navy 6 months ago. Check my facebook if you don't believe me. I just really want a lot of people to use UV, because Disney has said they might join in UltraViolet if it goes mainstream. And I really want them to join so I can Disc to Digital my Disney collection. They are my favorite So I am trying to help it along. Iv'e been a member of this forum for 10 years. But apparently people here don't think much of my opinion, so I think I'll just post somewhere else. They seem to be a lot more receptive to UV over at DVDTalk, blu-ray forums.com and AVSForum.
How do we know your Facebook info is accurate? :) :D :P

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Joshua Clinard said:
Iv'e been a member of this forum for 10 years. But apparently people here don't think much of my opinion, so I think I'll just post somewhere else. They seem to be a lot more receptive to UV over at DVDTalk, blu-ray forums.com and AVSForum.
I don't think anyone wants to see you leave but I think you should use the ignore function on a couple of members and they should do the same for you. I don't mean that in a rude way but clearly you guys have differing opinions and everyone- from the guys who post to the people who just lurk in these download threads- will probably enjoy themselves more if all of you use it.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I mean, ideally, I just want to have an honest discussion. There are like four people who post in this sub-forum, so if we ignored every thread Josh posted in (which is every thread), we'd never have anything to talk about :) I'm not saying that he shouldn't like Ultraviolet. More power to him. But I think he's very quick to pull a few different victim cards whenever anyone with a different opinion shows up. If we could all just move past that, we'd probably have a good time without anyone ignoring anyone. But I can only speak for myself. Sam I'm sure will have his own take.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
MattAlbie60 said:
I mean, ideally, I just want to have an honest discussion. There are like four people who post in this sub-forum, so if we ignored every thread Josh posted in (which is every thread), we'd never have anything to talk about :)
I get what you're saying but it seems like the discussion has reached an impasse and is going to start getting ugly soon.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My take is that I am interested in objectivity where tech is concerned. If I don't like something or think that something is flawed I'll be the first person to say so even and especially if it's part of something that I overall support. Examples: Ping, IOS Store Rules, iTunes being a slow behemoth whereas generally I like the iOS ecosystem despite its walls. I don't get emotionally attached to any of the tech tho and those who do really bewilder me. I don't look at being an early adopter as investing in those schemes and having skin in the game which I am at risk of losing. I buy stuff I think is interesting and will either entertain me or help me get my work done. If there are alternatives to what I use I will consider them if and only if they do what I want better. UV clearly does not pass that sniff test to me. It's mere existence is designed to weaken Apple's role in media distribution and to kill rental as a whole. I choose not to support that despite having a stack of 25 codes banked up. I much prefer to have DC codes which I can redeem, keep fully copies on my own computer and manage to my hearts content, and have copies in the cloud for when I want them. Further, the user experience of Digital Copy could not be easier. And to think that UV with it's byzantine and labarynthine rules could replace it was laughable. The interesting thing was that before UV launched, and even knowing its flaws before the launch, we had a couple posters who sang its praises out of the blue. It was suspicious and lets face it, our community has had its share of shills in the past (and by community I don't mean HTF, I mean HT fandom in general). When it launched the touts became apologists. Some of the talking points the touts keep coming back to are clearly either not true or powered by insider information. The UV we all want is just around the corner they say. If, er ONCE!, they sya, Disney just comes on board it will all be easy as cake. That's not going to happen any time soon because of what a mess UV is, let alone the Disney / Apple relationship. Fix that mess and you might see Disney come on board. Hell I might even redeem my codes if they fix the mess. But not before. No matter how great it is for folks like Josh today.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I can be completely objective, but I continue to be baffled by your (Sam) assessment of UV. I think it is not the entire UV system itself that you are so dis-satisfied with, but the way it is implemented by some studios and streaming services. Vudu is very fast, reliable, and easy to use. Most titles are offered in HD, and it just works. Flixster, on the other hand, is very slow, does not have many titles available for streaming, does not offer HD, and for a long time only gave people SD rights when they had purchased a blu-ray. It has started to improve somewhat, but it still has a long way to go. CinemaNow, does not always add UV rights to a user's locker when they purchase a UV title, and it oftentimes shows duplicates in a user's library. The studio's have vastly improved their redemption process, and no longer require registration.They all allow you to choose which streaming provider you want to redeem from. Sony doesn't make it as obvious as other's, but the option is there. The Common File Format will be deployed very soon, and one will be able to download their titles to any supported device, and play them with any supported software. When that happens, UV will be close to being a full featured and supported service. As of right now it's still considered a beta. When it's out of beta, will you still have something to complain about, or will you admit that it's a good service for people who have a need for digital copies on the go?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
We'll see. The devil is in the details. I continue to have doubts about how it will work on iDevices without adding in additional layers of DRM that Apple obviously would not approve. If they are DRM free files that I can manage on my own then yes, I would be interested. If they are FairPlay managed then I would be confused as to why not just go to Digital Copy to begin with. It still rankles me with their anti-competitive stances and if I need more than a single login for Vudu then no. Edited to add: If I have to install some kind of monitoring system that requires root level access to my PC or Mac to put these files onto my iDevices then no way in hell. Vudu apparently is very good per those who use it. If UV were exclusive to Vudu it might actually get some traction. But being tied to all these other services is actually a knock on it, not a plus.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I still can't believe that I'm unable to remove movies I don't want from my collection. It's ridiculous. Take back your stupid copy of the PSYCHO remake that you gave me for free, Ultraviolet! I don't want it! Nobody does!

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Matt, Actually, you can remove titles from your collection. I have done it seveeral times. Just submit a support ticket to whichever retailer you got it from, either flixster or vudu. https://vudu.custhelp.com/app/ask http://support.ultraviolet.flixster.com/ics/support/ticketNew.asp Sam, If they implement CFF the way they have outlined, Then you would be able to register your media player, such as Windows Media Player, or XBMC, to your UV account. You could also load movies onto a USB drive and play them directly from your blu-ray player or even Smart TV.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Okay, I'll grant you that it is possible to remove movies. It would be better, however, if there were some type of "Remove" button. I don't think that's too much to ask.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Why would UV "add" anything to someones collection without asking? For a collector, the organization of one's titles and media is part of the hobby. And while I doubt UV is adding highly controversial material, a parent still might find the sudden inclusion of a particular film to be objectionable for their family. I don't want my family watching half the stupid comedies coming out of Hollywood. Not only because of the content, but also because I'm trying to help share cultural experiences over vapid entertainment. I could see the value of a "free" section, like there is on iTunes. The user has the ability to "purchase" the free selection and and it to his collection. In fact, iTunes even sends a $0.00 receipt showing your purchase. You own this product and you choose to add it to your collection.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
You never know what they're going to add, and it almost always sucks. Back when the "Link your Flixter account to your UV account and get a free movie" thing was going on (it may still be going on, I have no idea), I gave it a whirl. I got PAY IT FORWARD, which is a movie that I really don't like at all. Signing up for Vudu on my PS3 got me ten free movies! Yay! Those movies were mainly comprised of stuff like the PSYCHO remake, WRONG TURN 2 and a bunch of other stuff I have no interest in. Boo. And the only way I can get rid of them, apparently, is if I file a support ticket with not one but two different companies. Also boo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks