What's new

yet another cheap sub recommendations thread...... (1 Viewer)

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
Ok, here is my plan. I've got the JBL scs135 speaker set. In a few months I plan to buy a pair of N24s for mains and wire the scs center through the scs 8 inch 100 watt sub (keeping the sub close to the center channel so it doesn't draw too much attentions to itself) since the center can't produce any sort of low frequency whatsoever. It should work out since the n24s and scs series both use titanium laminate tweeters. I'm also going to get a new sub. Question is....should i go with the sony 12 inch that everyone raves about.....the JBL PB10/12....or the cerwin vega LW-12 ?? (really haven't heard much about this sub on these boards) Also, is this whole upgrading idea any good?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dump the package's sub, and get the PB10 or 12, or the SA-WM40. I don't see a real benefit of running the other sub just for the center, but give it a shot and see how it sounds.

Sony - 20Hz, PB10 - 27Hz, PB12 - 25Hz, Yamaha YST-SW305 - 20Hz.

What really matters is how much you want to spend.

Art_C

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I would stay away from the PB10/12's. I think they are very good sounding subs for the money but I have heard stories about their reliabilities. Or rather the lack there of. Apparently there is a design problem with the amp that can cause it to die prematurely.

BTW John, do you mean that the Sony can go +-3db down to 20 Hz? I didn't think they can go down that low...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know the exact specs for the Sony at 20Hz, but that is what Sony claims is the low end extension, and is well within the realm of a 12" driver. I would be curious to see if anyone verified 20Hz on one? For the price, if it did a convincing 25Hz, it would still be worth it (with poly stuffing).

I have seen a friend's PB12 smoke in person, so I certainly can't vouch for their quality either, however JBL SAYS they have taken care of their amplifier issues.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i heard they fixed the problems with the pb10 and 12. if my pb10 starts smoking ill let you know.

i dont know about the sony, but i do know *using a tone generator* that the pb10 rolls off right around 27Hz

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the AudioSource SW-15 (250 watts/15' driver). There online. CostCo had them for $200. Fill it with polyfill. I double filed mine, and it is unbelievable Check the reviews over at Audioreview.com.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I have looked at about 20 reviews on audioreview and none of them were totally negative.

I now think there should be a site that has nothing but negative reviews. I think it would be more helpful than a site that says "Strengths: Excellent value, Great performance, Weakness: none".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks