What's new

XP Pro Floppy Access (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey All,

In my Home we have 3 computers, my own P III 850, my P III 1G Laptop and my Mom's Husband's PC which is a Pentium II 300. Last night I installed XP Pro on his Computer so now all machines have XP. With his though something odd is happening.

When Windows boots (on his PC) after it gets to the desktop it's accessing the floppy drive and I have no idea why! Furthermore I guess it was happening more when he was using programs such as Asheron's Call, causing him to crash out of the game. Why is it doing this and how can I stop it?

Thanks!

PhilM

Grip
shortcuts are usually the culprit when it comes to the mysteriously possesed floppy spin. check the desktop and start menu. real easy to do: right click all shorcuts on the desktop and go into properties, then shortcut tab and see if the target line says anything about the floppy drive letter in question (i'm guessing a:) then either delete the shortcut or get it off the desktop. you might want to check the shortcuts in the games folder too, since you said it seems to happen more there. if it still persists, post another reply or email me.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
There is indeed a shortcut to the Floppy drive on his desktop. I put it there back when he had 98. (Which was the very previous OS on that system.) I'll delete it and see if that helps. He is in the game now and I can't get him to stop playing. :-D

Should it not work... any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks