Installing XP on my wife's notebook- Some questions.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Luke_Y, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Installing XP on my wife's notebook- Some questions.

I want to install XP on my wife's notebook. I have XP Pro (full, not upgrade) and have some questions.

Everyone says to do a clean install for the best results. One friend gave the following instructions; Bring up DOS, format c, when you start it back up enter the bios and change the boot device to cd, stick in the xp disc and go.

Ok, would that be the way to go? I went to the Toshiba website and downloaded the latest bios and will install that first. Also downloaded XP versions of the Toshiba utilities and power mgt. programs for after the upgrade. The only XP driver they had listed was for the floppy so I grabbed it to. I will move all her files to our desktop prior to the install. As far as programs, she only really uses Office so I wouldn't mind re-installing it after a clean install.

We run a wireless network at home and she accesses one at school and work as well. Also she has a dial up account on her notebook. What settings do I need to write down beforehand to ensure smooth sailing after XP is installed?

I appreciate your help and expertise.

2. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

You don’t have to boot to DOS and format the drive. Change the BIOS to boot from CD, then during setup, delete all the existing partitions and tell XP to install in the unpartitioned space. XP setup will repartition and reformat the drive for you. For Dial up, write down the phone number, username, password, and DNS servers (if they are not dynamically assigned). As for your wireless network I can't really comment because I don’t know how you have your network setup. If you use a linksys or similar router and DHCP, probably the only thing you need to write down is the WEP key. If you have another computer you can probably just get that info right from the router though.

3. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

With her computer I have the option to hold f2 at startup and get a boot selection where I can chose cd. If I go that rout subsequent startups are from the hard drive as normal.

I know windows will restart a few times during install. Should I just use cd a the boot device the first time via the selection menu or should I make an actual hard change in the bios and leave it that way till done?

4. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Just use F2 that way you dont have to change the BIOS back or eject the CD while XP reboots during setup.