What's new

Would you buy a movie if it has been changed by the director? (1 Viewer)

nousername

Supporting Actor
Would you buy a movie if it has been changed by the director from its original theatrical release?
Please vote here so we can get a numerical statistic. Then come back and leave your comments here for others to read. Final results will be posted here.
Or if you prefer, just leave your comments here without voting on my site. Either way is fine.
Thanks in advance for participating...

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The original artist (in case of movies: the director) is the only one who can create a new piece of art made up mostly from a previous one, without being guilty of plagiarism.
That said: I don't think a piece of art, once published morally belongs to the artist alone. No longer. It may have been absorbed by many people, may have moved them, become part of them.
I think the artist has the right to publish a new (altered) version, but NOT to deny us the original version!
Of course I'm not talking about legal rights here. This is about moral rights, cultural rights (and wrongs), human values.
Cees

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
quote: I think the artist has the right to publish a new (altered) version, but NOT to deny us the original version![/quote]
I could not put it more perfectly than that. I agree wholeheartedly.
I must admit that there have been "Director's Cut" versions that did result in (IMHO) vast improvement to the movie. The Last Emperor is a dramatic example of that.
On the other hand, what Speilberg is doing to E.T. is ridiculous (again IMHO).
I think there is a huge difference between adding footage and digitally altering the images on the film.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
[Edited last by Rain on October 25, 2001 at 03:50 PM]

nousername

Supporting Actor
Final results (out of 25 votes):
Yes, without hesitation - 9
Yes, only if changes are minor - 3
Yes, but I disagree with this - 5
No! I think it's toatlly wrong - 5
Undecided - 3
New poll here .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks