What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

WKRP In Cincinnati: The Complete Series Review (See Posts #218 & 356 for Info) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I get where cllamont is coming from because it's not like we're talking about serious real world problems but at the same time, I do think it's OK to worry about how 'art' is presented. I'm not going to stay up nights worried about any edits but reading about the original airings vs. the DVDs is weirdly interesting. It's like the home video equivalent of an archeological dig.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And its the very reason why a "Home Theater Forum" exists in the first place.

If people aren't interested in such minutiae, there's a million other places on the interwebz which they might like more.

You might as well go over and tell the guys in the speakers forum that they are wasting their time debating the merits of one brand versus another. See how well that goes over. :biggrin:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
AndrewCrossett said:
It's my favorite comedy TV series of all time. So yes, minutiae is good.
I'm not as big of a fan as you guys are as I vaguely remember it from its initial run, and I do not really remember it from syndication. I do, however, realize the historical significance of the show. Why would you NOT be concerned? I'm the same way by The Beverly Hillbillies; I can spot an edit or music replacement (there was incidental music replaced in S4) a mile away!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
CBS would be best off when they deem a music edit is needed in those two Paul Henning sitcoms, if they just selected cleared music commonly used on the show as a substitute (It might even slip by many a fan then that an edit has happened). Or at the very least, leave the background silent during the affected scene and just let the dialogue play.

Instead, all they accomplished with what you mentioned was to bring attention to the fact that it wasn't right (S3 of Petticoat Junction had a few similar edits with the Green Acres music).

But I guess this is about WKRP. :)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
In regards to Bah Humbug, I also keep remembering something that I read on Jaime's blog. Specifically about the episode Baseball. CBS chose to edit the moment when Johnny sniffs the chalk, so the cut of Bah Humbug that we have could have been a CBS edit of the show and not what Hugh Wilson originally submitted nor intended. Since it was the Christmas season, as I said before, CBS may have sold more commercial time and they edited the episode before broadcast. If this is indeed the case, then the missing moments we have discovered may have only come to light since the show first went into syndication. I guess that we need to see an actual off the air recording of the very first airing of the episode to be 100% sure of what is happening here. It's a mystery. At this point, I feel like I'm talking in circles and not coming to any solid conclusions.

I'm a bit bummed that I didn't pay closer attention to this the first time through and I totally missed this whole thing. Sorry folks.

Doris2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doris
Brian Himes said:
I'm a bit bummed that I didn't pay closer attention to this the first time through and I totally missed this whole thing. Sorry folks.
You've done some major, time-consuming research here, and we're closer than ever before to having a comprehensive guide to this show. There is certainly nothing you need to feel apologetic about.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Mike Frezon said:
And its the very reason why a "Home Theater Forum" exists in the first place.

If people aren't interested in such minutiae, there's a million other places on the interwebz which they might like more.

You might as well go over and tell the guys in the speakers forum that they are wasting their time debating the merits of one brand versus another. See how well that goes over. :biggrin:
Speakers? You don't really need them because the sound comes right out of your TV. :)

cllamont

Auditioning
Real Name
Venus
Doris2k said:
Tape does have an immediacy that works very well with WKRP; similar to "All in the Family." On the other hand, a show like M*A*S*H would have not worked at all on tape.
THats a great point.

cllamont

Auditioning
Real Name
Venus
Bigger than some of the music missing is the lack of commentary that the old DVD set has. How great is it to listen to the creator and Loni Anderson talk about the show as they watch it? THere was only commentary on 2 episodes. I understand that there is some business invovled but one would think that - or something liek it - could have been done by SHOUT this time.

THey actually talk a little about the music licensing problems and edited shows in the pilot. Herb mentioned that up to 7 minutes had been cut out of reruns. I found it interesting since that seems to be what hardcore fans are concerned about most.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Did they include the treasury film as an extra? I know that they had a copy in their possession that a collector provided them with.

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
cllamont said:
Wouldnt that be All In THe Family or MASH?
Both great shows, but both occasionally took themselves too seriously and both ran longer than was good for them. IMO.

For sheer unapologetic funniness and laughs per minute, nothing matches WKRP except maybe The Simpsons in its single-digit-season prime. But WKRP wins out because The Simpsons characters are cartoons in every sense of the word, whereas the WKRP characters come across as real people, any one of whom I'd like to have been friends with. Even Herb.

cllamont

Auditioning
Real Name
Venus
AndrewCrossett said:
Both great shows, but both occasionally took themselves too seriously and both ran longer than was good for them. IMO.

For sheer unapologetic funniness and laughs per minute, nothing matches WKRP except maybe The Simpsons in its single-digit-season prime. But WKRP wins out because The Simpsons characters are cartoons in every sense of the word, whereas the WKRP characters come across as real people, any one of whom I'd like to have been friends with. Even Herb.
All in the Family got away from what made it great but I dont think any show was greateer in terms of impact on TV. MASH never did jump the shark for my money. They never did the dumb moves that so many series made like sweeping changes to the basic premise and theme, introducing too many new characters that we dont love, or radically changing the ones that we do love. WKRP never did this either but then its run was a fraction of what these other classic shows had. THings would have probably changed in more time. Loni would have gotten a movie career, Tim would want to start his own thing (as he did), or someone would have thought a Johnny Fever spin off would be a good idea.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
As far as the commentary tracks go, I'm not upset by them not being included... the Fox release can be picked up really cheap now, and by purchasing it you are no longer endorsing their "cut don't clear policy." Plus you get the original ending of "Contest"... well most of it... . and the Fox set trumps the Shout set in one way... Package Design.... I really don't like the pastels that shout used....It should have been red & white like the softball uniforms....

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Neil Brock said:
Did they include the treasury film as an extra? I know that they had a copy in their possession that a collector provided them with.
No, the extras were the two featurettes that were on the original Fox set, the Paley Center cast reunion (minus Gary Sandy, Frank Bonner and Richard Sanders) and a Gary Sandy looks back interview. Nothing spectacular.

What is the treasury film? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Hasslein said:
Package Design.... I really don't like the pastels that shout used....It should have been red & white like the softball uniforms....
See, I think the Shout set's packaging is great. I love the color scheme of the box. It's so very 70s. The Fox set has really bad disc art and the individual slim line cases had really ugly cover art. At least I thought so. The outer cover box was nice looking, but that was where the positives for Fox ended. At least for me.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
cllamont said:
Bigger than some of the music missing is the lack of commentary that the old DVD set has. How great is it to listen to the creator and Loni Anderson talk about the show as they watch it? There was only commentary on 2 episodes. I understand that there is some business involved but one would think that - or something like it - could have been done by SHOUT this time.

They actually talk a little about the music licensing problems and edited shows in the pilot. Herb mentioned that up to 7 minutes had been cut out of reruns. I found it interesting since that seems to be what hardcore fans are concerned about most.
If Shout had purchased the commentary tracks or paid for new ones, then it is possible that it would have taken away from the music clearance budget. Personally, and I said this before, I didn't want any bonus features on the set. I felt that every cent that could be should be spent in clearing as much of the music as possible. That was the real bonus feature to me. Music versus commentary tracks that I would only listen to once? No contest. Music every time.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
I watched "Contest" last night and, while I found it fascinating to see an alternate version, I do prefer the one we are familiar with.
I think the payoff is so much more fun when Johnny is the one who triumphs and it ends, essentially, with no harm done.

I wonder if they showed the finished episode to a test audience? I remember as a kid going down to a preview house on, I think Sunset Blvd., where they would show an episode of a series and you would fill out a questionnaire. I recall seeing Bewitched and Gidget there. Maybe a test audience didn't like
that was so unfortunate for Johnny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks