WKRP In Cincinnati: The Complete Series Review (See Posts #218 & 356 for Info)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
1,637
Real Name
Brian
Ok, I got my set and I did a quick spot check of a few things that I felt were the most important.

First, I checked Turkey's Away for Pink Floyd. Nope, they are not there. However, the music that is used does have barking dogs and it does sort of sound like Pink Floyd. So the dogs joke is there but Mr. Carlson asking for the name of the orchestra line and Johnny's response (naming Pink Floyd) and the next two lines has been edited. It picks up where Carlson mentions Pigs on the Wing. Without Pink Floyd, this is the best that could be accomplished with the scene. The scene is still funny, and all of the jokes are still there and not ruined. In my opinion Shout did an excellent job preserving 99% of the scene. Loads better than the old Fox DVD set.

Next I checked the run times for Hoodlum Rock and A Date With Jennifer. Both episodes clock in at over 24 minutes (closer to 25) so these appear to be the original broadcast length. The previous set used syndicated versions that were only 22 minutes.

Then it was off to the episode I Do, I Do...For Now and I can confirm that Jennifer's Doorbell is Fly Me To The Moon. Yippee!

I spot checked the Pilot and Pilot, Part Two. Ted Nugent is present and accounted for in part one and Bob Segar is present and accounted for in part two.

I spot checked the episode Bailey's Show and A Taste Of Honey's Boogie, Oogie, Oogie is there.

And finally, someone here was concerned about the episode Jennifer's Home For Christmas. Good news there. Brenda Lee, Jingle Dogs and Chuck Berry are all present and accounted for. The moment of Venus starting to sing White Christmas is there.

Ok, I'm off to start fully checking each episode individually but so far things look pretty good. I'll be reporting on run times and of course all music and any edits that may occur due to missing music.
 

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
804
Location
Texas
Real Name
Dave
Brian, thanks for this first post as well as all of your future posts in this thread. I appreciate you going through the set and reporting the good, the bad, and the ugly of what you find.

Relieved about Jennifer's doorbell. I have just a few deal breakers for this set, and the doorbell not playing Fly Me To The Moon was one of them. I'll be interested to read your other posts to see if the set passes my other deal breakers.

I'm less annoyed about the lack of Pink Floyd (wasn't really expecting it to be there) than the fact that they've edited out the 2 lines of dialog. From discussion on the other thread, I guess there was no way to retain the dialog without the actual music, so it is what it is. Still annoying.
 
  • Like
Reactions: cafink

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Joined
Oct 20, 2006
Messages
969
Location
Glendale, California
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
How about Johnny Olson? Is his voice intact in the episode Real Families, or is it some generic announcer dude? Here is how Johnny Olson sounded like. Keep in mind that sometimes, generic music was replaced on this show, too.


How about Thank Heavens for Little Girls? Is it intact? I find it hard to believe that Shout would suddenly have a tough time clearing it, given they cleared it on Punky Brewster over 10 years ago. Then again, they removed it from a Rhoda episode.
 

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
186
Location
Hamilton, MA
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Brian Himes said:
Ok, I got my set and I did a quick spot check of a few things that I felt were the most important.First, I checked Turkey's Away for Pink Floyd. Nope, they are not there. However, the music that is used does have barking dogs and it does sort of sound like Pink Floyd. So the dogs joke is there but Mr. Carlson asking for the name of the orchestra line and Johnny's response (naming Pink Floyd) and the next two lines has been edited. It picks up where Carlson mentions Pigs on the Wing. Without Pink Floyd, this is the best that could be accomplished with the scene. The scene is still funny, and all of the jokes are still there and not ruined. In my opinion Shout did an excellent job preserving 99% of the scene. Loads better than the old Fox DVD set.Next I checked the run times for Hoodlum Rock and A Date With Jennifer. Both episodes clock in at over 24 minutes (closer to 25) so these appear to be the original broadcast length. The previous set used syndicated versions that were only 22 minutes.Then it was off to the episode I Do, I Do...For Now and I can confirm that Jennifer's Doorbell is Fly Me To The Moon. Yippee!I spot checked the Pilot and Pilot, Part Two. Ted Nugent is present and accounted for in part one and Bob Segar is present and accounted for in part two.I spot checked the episode Bailey's Show and A Taste Of Honey's Boogie, Oogie, Oogie is there.And finally, someone here was concerned about the episode Jennifer's Home For Christmas. Good news there. Brenda Lee, Jingle Dogs and Chuck Berry are all present and accounted for. The moment of Venus starting to sing White Christmas is there.Ok, I'm off to start fully checking each episode individually but so far things look pretty good. I'll be reporting on run times and of course all music and any edits that may occur due to missing music.
This is great news. Look forward to more info., but it sounds like Shout did a great job. One question, there is a scene in Out to Lunch with Frank Bonner and Craig T Nelson where Paul McCartney's Every Night and the Beatles Here Comes the Sun plays in the background. Curious to know how that was handled. Guess I can check when I get the set next week but if you have a chance, let me know. Thanks.PS - great news about the Christmas ep! Looks like I'll be able to replace the episode I have in my Christmas episode collection.
 

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Joined
Sep 1, 2006
Messages
748
What Brian is reporting on is deserving of an appropriately-titled thread, one others may look to in future years for precisely this info.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ron1973

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
1,637
Real Name
Brian
Here is what I've found for the first four episodes.

Pilot: No music edits. Running time: 24:55. There is also an original bumper (Gary Sandy doing a voice over as Andy) just before the tag scene.

Pilot, part 2: No music edits. Running time: 25:13.

Les On A Ledge: No music edits. Running time: 25:13. This episode also has an original bumper (Loni Anderson voice over as Jennifer) just before the tag scene.

Hoodlum Rock: No music edits. Running time: 24:55.

The picture quality is the best that I've ever seen this show look. However, there is one spot in Les On A Ledge that has a very quick video imperfection. This is probably inherent in the master tape and cannot be eliminated. Also during the opening of Hoodlum Rock you will notice a bit of video imperfection on the left side of the screen. Again, this is probably a part of the master tape and couldn't be eliminated. These small blemishes pass by so quickly most might not notice, but I thought I'd mention them.

Ok, I have also spot checked the episodes you folks mentioned above.

Real Families: No Johnny Olson. Sorry. I didn't check the music but I will be checking that when I actually come to the episode.

Patter Of Little Feat: No, sorry but Thank Heaven For Little Girls is not there. Instead we get a generic vocal version of (They Long To Be) Close To You. I will have to double check the dialogue when I come to this episode, but it seemed to be fine and unedited.

Out To Lunch: Yes, Paul McCartney Every Night is there. We also get Jive Talkin' but it is not sung by the Bee Gees. Sorry, but Here Comes The Sun is not there. I didn't expect any of the three Beatles tunes used to make on the set.

Now folks, I'd love to spot check each episode that everyone wants to know about specific music or other aspects, but if I do that it will take me forever to get the set fully reviewed and picked apart. I promise I will get each and every episode done. I'm just doing them in order. So, while it may take me a bit to get to an episode that you are interested in, I will get to it. I pormise.
 

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2008
Messages
3,285
Location
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
Real Name
Robert
Traveling Matt said:
What Brian is reporting on is deserving of an appropriately-titled thread, one others may look to in future years for precisely this info.
Definitely.Pretty much everyone wants to know about music, run times, and edits. That's all the review that we care about. Purchases hang on the review of this one person reporting the state of the music and edits.So yeah, put it in a special review thread that's easily findable and not buried on pGe 28 of a thread started before the Fox set was released in 2007.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ken Martin

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2008
Messages
3,285
Location
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
Real Name
Robert
And while I was posting, we got an update.Do the edits or replacements so far interfere with dialogue, or is it just simple music replacement? Also, please let us know how replacement is handled when dialogue is also present, when you get to an episode with that issue.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Doris2k

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
2,960
Real Name
Ray
Brian Himes said:
Here is what I've found for the first four episodes.

Pilot: No music edits. Running time: 24:55. There is also an original bumper (Gary Sandy doing a voice over as Andy) just before the tag scene.

Pilot, part 2: No music edits. Running time: 25:13.

Les On A Ledge: No music edits. Running time: 25:13. This episode also has an original bumper (Loni Anderson voice over as Jennifer) just before the tag scene.

Hoodlum Rock: No music edits. Running time: 24:55.

The picture quality is the best that I've ever seen this show look. However, there is one spot in Les On A Ledge that has a very quick video imperfection. This is probably inherent in the master tape and cannot be eliminated. Also during the opening of Hoodlum Rock you will notice a bit of video imperfection on the left side of the screen. Again, this is probably a part of the master tape and couldn't be eliminated. These small blemishes pass by so quickly most might not notice, but I thought I'd mention them.

Ok, I have also spot checked the episodes you folks mentioned above.

Real Families: No Johnny Olson. Sorry. I didn't check the music but I will be checking that when I actually come to the episode.

Patter Of Little Feat: No, sorry but Thank Heaven For Little Girls is not there. Instead we get a generic vocal version of (They Long To Be) Close To You. I will have to double check the dialogue when I come to this episode, but it seemed to be fine and unedited.

Out To Lunch: Yes, Paul McCartney Every Night is there. We also get Jive Talkin' but it is not sung by the Bee Gees. Sorry, but Here Comes The Sun is not there. I didn't expect any of the three Beatles tunes used to make on the set.

Now folks, I'd love to spot check each episode that everyone wants to know about specific music or other aspects, but if I do that it will take me forever to get the set fully reviewed and picked apart. I promise I will get each and every episode done. I'm just doing them in order. So, while it may take me a bit to get to an episode that you are interested in, I will get to it. I pormise.
Thanks for your efforts on this. So far, so good!
 

Joe Isham

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
May 1, 2002
Messages
92
If you have time for another spot check, I would really appreciate knowing if "Daydreams" is intact. The syndicated version cuts out Bailey's daydream altogether. Thanks!

(I can wait till you get to it. This was the one episode I was most curious about.)
 

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 3, 2008
Messages
6,972
Location
Mid-South
Real Name
Howie
Vahan_Nisanain said:
Weird how Paul McCartney is okay with his two songs being cleared for the show, but not The Beatles ("I'm Down", "Here Comes the Sun", and "Come Together").
Different rights holders.
 

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2008
Messages
3,285
Location
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
Real Name
Robert
Vahan_Nisanain said:
Weird how Paul McCartney is okay with his two songs being cleared for the show, but not The Beatles ("I'm Down", "Here Comes the Sun", and "Come Together").
I don't think McCartney has any control over Beatles songs. Remember, Michael Jackson bought the rights to them in the 80s, and Sony is involved, too.McCartney still has a few years before he can reclaim the rights.So, that could explain why McCartney's songs are present and not the Beatles.
 

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
186
Location
Hamilton, MA
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Brian Himes said:
Here is what I've found for the first four episodes.Pilot: No music edits. Running time: 24:55. There is also an original bumper (Gary Sandy doing a voice over as Andy) just before the tag scene.Pilot, part 2: No music edits. Running time: 25:13.Les On A Ledge: No music edits. Running time: 25:13. This episode also has an original bumper (Loni Anderson voice over as Jennifer) just before the tag scene.Hoodlum Rock: No music edits. Running time: 24:55.The picture quality is the best that I've ever seen this show look. However, there is one spot in Les On A Ledge that has a very quick video imperfection. This is probably inherent in the master tape and cannot be eliminated. Also during the opening of Hoodlum Rock you will notice a bit of video imperfection on the left side of the screen. Again, this is probably a part of the master tape and couldn't be eliminated. These small blemishes pass by so quickly most might not notice, but I thought I'd mention them.Ok, I have also spot checked the episodes you folks mentioned above.Real Families: No Johnny Olson. Sorry. I didn't check the music but I will be checking that when I actually come to the episode.Patter Of Little Feat: No, sorry but Thank Heaven For Little Girls is not there. Instead we get a generic vocal version of (They Long To Be) Close To You. I will have to double check the dialogue when I come to this episode, but it seemed to be fine and unedited.Out To Lunch: Yes, Paul McCartney Every Night is there. We also get Jive Talkin' but it is not sung by the Bee Gees. Sorry, but Here Comes The Sun is not there. I didn't expect any of the three Beatles tunes used to make on the set.Now folks, I'd love to spot check each episode that everyone wants to know about specific music or other aspects, but if I do that it will take me forever to get the set fully reviewed and picked apart. I promise I will get each and every episode done. I'm just doing them in order. So, while it may take me a bit to get to an episode that you are interested in, I will get to it. I pormise.
Thanks so much. Will be happy to help when my set comes.
 

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2002
Messages
2,002
Real Name
rob
Two curiosities for me:

The Long Run (The Doctor's Daughter)

Someone to Watch Over Me (Baby It's Cold Inside)
 

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
1,637
Real Name
Brian
Here are the final four episodes on disc one.

Hold Up: There are two musical edits. Van Halen's Atomic Punk is missing. This is the song heard when Dell turns on the stereo. There is no dialogue over the song so the music replacement does not interfere with the scene so there is nothing edited. Just a music substitution. The music used is generic rock music. Period appropriate and sounding so it isn't noticeable. I can live with this.

The other music edit is a bit more puzzling. Linda Ronstandt was on the list of artists whose music would be on the set, however Back In The U.S.A has been cut. Thus around 55 seconds is missing from the episode. The missing segment begins just after you hear Johnny say it's time to play another record. It then cuts to the footage of Carlsons' s car. The entire segment where Herb comes into the booth and Carlson saying he wants Herb killed is missing. Sorry folks.

Running Time: 24:19

Bailey's Show: No music edits. Roberta Flack singing The Closer I Get To You at the very beginning of this episode is indeed there. Roberta Flack was not on Shout's list as being on the set. You can barely hear it or even make it out, but it is there. Running time: 25:05

Turkey's Away: As I already mentioned Pink Floyd is gone. The scene is handled very well. All other music in the episode is intact. Running time: 24:55

Love Returns: No music edits. Ray Charles, The Rolling Stones and Linda Taylor's song at the end are all present. Running time: 25:08

So far I have to say that season 1 is living up to my expectations. In most cases it has surpassed them. I'm bummed about the missing part in Hold Up, but I can live with it. It's a funny moment and I'll miss it. I'm more bummed that Shout had Ronstandt on the list and then her song is missing. It might have to do with Chuck Berry also being on the song. I don't know.
 

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Mar 21, 1999
Messages
2,138
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
All the info you're providing is terrific, Brian, thanks so much! :thumbsup:

With Jennifer's "Fly Me to the Moon" doorbell music now confirmed as intact, I'm most curious if the 'distant bugle' call from PATTON is present in Season 1's "Young Master Carlson", when Arthur Carlson tells his young son, as an incentive to attend, that there will be girls in public school. :D
 

Moore Maxx

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Messages
99
I'm curious about the end of "The Contest Nobody Could Win"

Did they keep the song "Lotta Love" by Nicolette Larson, and do we get to hear Johnny telling them on the air what the next prize is?

If the 47th caller can describe his undershorts they win a tube of lip gloss.
 

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
344,880
Messages
4,723,379
Members
141,350
Latest member
conradfan