What's new

"Wizards", anyone? (1 Viewer)

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
With Grease and Flashdance coming out, my DVD wish list will be pretty nearly fulfilled come fall. But is it my imagination, or had Ralph Bakshi's Wizards been rumoured for release by year's end?

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
So far as I've heard, there has been no word on Wizards. :frowning: It's a real shame too, as this is one of my most treasured favorites from childhood. Come on Fox, let's do this, and in OAR, puh-lease!
Some previous threads on Bakshi's films in general, with several more votes for Wizards, that you may want to check out.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...der=descending

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
I would also like to see Hey Good Lookin', Coonskin/Streetfight, and the HBO series Spicy City; if not Bakshi's best, they are certainly some of his more interesting works.

Young people today need to know that Bakshi did more than what they probally consider the "fake" or "crappy" version of Lord of the Rings, and Fritz the Cat.

He tried to bring adult animation into the mainstream, and he was more succesful than anyone else (in America) has been to date.

Randy Torres

Stunt Coordinator
I have always loved the voice of the female who does the narration. Haven't seen this title in 20 years.

Bill Hunt

Insider
When last I spoke with Fox's Peter Staddon on this, he indicated that it was on the list of titles they plan to do. I suspect you'll see it in 2003. If I can learn any more, I'll let you all know.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
I've been ready to retire the old full frame laser on this one for years now. It's the same master they used for the original Fox "Playhouse Video" label in the late 80's, and boy does it show it's age.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I could have had the laserdisc years ago as a free or discount selection from Columbia House. I don't remember why I didn't get around to picking it up. But, I've noticed copies selling for quite a bit on e-Bay so the demand and need for a WIZARDS DVD are high. Good to know that FOX is on this one. I have to say that I am more than pleased with the Bakshi represented on DVD already. I waited years for laser releases of FRITZ and HEAVY TRAFFIC that never came. And we've already got those, in addition to AMERICAN POP and LORD OF THE RINGS. And, we even have the non-Bakshi FRITZ sequel.

Now, where are HEY, GOOD LOOKIN', COONSKIN/STREETFIGHT, COOL WORLD, and the tv series "Spicy City" and the controversial "New Adventures of Mighty Mouse"?

On a final note, I screened WIZARDS several years back at a college film series that I curated. The print and the projector weren't getting along so well that night, but the place was still packed with an eager and excited audience.

Jon

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
That would be great to see; this is the last one of my Top Ten favorite movies not yet on DVD. I sat through six shows of it at the theater; such wonderful character design (especially Peace) and the one film where Bakshi's marriage of animation and live-action works pretty well.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Hey Mark,
Did you check out the screening in the Rathskeller about five years back? The print was not great, as I mentioned, but we had a good crowd. Happily for you, it looks like you will finish out your top ten on DVD soon. ;)
Jon

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Would also love the complete New Adventures of Mighty Mouse which Bakshi produced and CBS aired on Saturday mornings back in the late '80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks