Withdrawing from an Ebay auction

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Gillespie, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I've been an Ebayer for a couple of years now. I have 171 positive comments on my account - and 1 negative (from a total moron).

Today, I've done something I've never done before - I've withdrawn from an auction I won.

This was a UK auction for an Asus motherboard. The reasons for my withdrawal are:

1. The auction stated the location to be London, UK - but the user's contact details are actually in Maryland USA.

2. Seller wants payment via E-gold.com. This is not a site I've even heard of before. They trade in gold only. I just don't want to get involved. E-gold.com was not mentioned on the auction.

3. Seller has not responded to my queries on the motherboard.

4. Seller has not responded to my queries about points 1, 2 and 3.

I've emailed Ebay about this but have yet to receive a response. Something about this auction just stinks. The seller doesn't even sign emails with their real name. I smell a rat!

The seller has a current rating of 1. No doubt he'll give me a negative remark, but he'll get one back which will do him a lot more harm than it will me.

Just wanted to vent.

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Very strange terms. I usually try to avoid auctions by any seller with a feedback rating of less than 25. On another eBay rant...Twice I've reported a seller (the same seller) for flagrant shill bidding and both times the seller was suspended. Now I see his account has been reinstated and he's back in "business." How many times does a seller have to be busted before he's kicked off for good?!? [​IMG] And the thing that really pisses me off is that this guy is building up a feedback profile based on positive feedback from the bogus accounts he's created! [​IMG]

3. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

My all time favorite encounter with a shady seller came from a poster seller who said she accepted credit cards. When I told her I wanted to pay by credit card, she sent me a nice little e-mail telling me to add 10% to the final bid price for CC purchase. It wasn't stated in the auction, and she told me it was a friends processing account and that the 10% was to recover her friends fee.

I backed out, she apologized, we agreed to forget the whole matter and that was that...Until 89 days later when she suddenly left a negative feedback on my account. When I went to toss a neg her way, I found out that I couldn't as the item page was no longer on Ebays system. She knew exactly how long to wait to catch me by surprise so I couldn't give her a negative feedback in response.

Just on the principle of it, I ended up sending at least 15 e-mails back and forth to Ebay to get that negative removed, but they wouldn't budge.

4. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I did have one negative problem. I did a buy it now for a Poltergeist II LD. The user refused to send me any contact and final payment info.

I did leave negative feedback and really wish I could've done more.

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

6. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I had over 200 positives and then somebody accidentally left me a neutral. They even apologized in the feedback response. However, even though both of us notified eBay of the mistake, eBay wouldn't remove the neutral. Since it wasn't a negative, I decided to drop the issue, but it still ruined my perfect record.

7. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

8. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Sweet!

9. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

I am fortunate that all my dead-beat bidders did not give me negative feedback after I gave them such feedback. I would be very upset if this happen, as I have perfect (46)feedback.

10. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Anyone who uses Ebay on a regular basis - and has at least some common sense - wont take any notice of a couple of negs on an account that has 40 or 50+ positive comments.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

depends Rob, I've seen users that have 1500 or more (+) feedback, then in the last month something goes horribly wrong and they get like 50 negatives and then the account is disabled for some reason or another. So if someone has 50 (+) and their last 3 are (-) in a row, i'd stay away

12. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Your correct Rob, i wouldnt discredit a seller if he had one bad comment out of say 25 or more.
    However [​IMG]
    If things had not turned out in your favor, i would say you should have recognized those things about the seller BEFORE bidding [​IMG]

13. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

On a semi-related note, am I the only one who hates feedbacks like "A+++++++++++++++++++"? Just a little silly, don't you think?

14. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

15. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Non-UK people are a no-go for me too. I've sent a few things to mainland Europe, but I always stipulate that they contact me before bidding to discuss shipping rates. Many of them have been ex-pats who still hold UK bank accounts, which obviously makes payment a lot easier.
    Back to the feedback thing; Maybe I've just been lucky, but some of the best buyers I've dealt with have had extremely low credit ratings.

16. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I just had a woman back out on me for an auction (my second sale on eBay.) Pretty PO'd about it - she just bid on two items, won both and decided mine was the one she didn't want. Oh yes, she's geting some negative feedback. [​IMG]

17. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

18. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

what's wrong with "good (seller/buyer) thanks!"?

19. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

20. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer