What's new

WARNING: Potential PayPal Fraud (1 Viewer)

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
I received an e-mail this week from "PayPal" about money in my account that I supposedly have not claimed. The e-mail directed me to click a link to view the supposed unclaimed payment.
Here is the text of the e-mail:
"On 3/4/2001, [name deleted] sent you $29.54 using
PayPal. This is your final reminder to claim this payment.
"PayPal is the world's #1 online payment service -- we allow people to send and receive money through the Web. Over 11 million people
trust PayPal to:
- Send Money to anyone with an email address
- Make secure and fast payments for eBay (TM) auctions
- Shop at more than 20,000 websites that accept PayPal
"You can also withdraw your money directly into your bank account. It's no wonder that Forbes (TM) honored PayPal as the "Best of the Web."
"So be sure to claim your payment soon. PayPal's policy is to cancel unclaimed payments and return the funds to the sender -- your payment will be returned in the next couple of days unless you register to claim it.
"Click on the link below and complete our one-page registration form to claim your funds:
[LINK DELETED]
"It only takes a couple of minutes to register with PayPal and accept your payment, so don't let your money get away. Claim your cash today."

Although the text shows a link to the PayPal site, I checked the target address and it showed the link went to another site entirely. Obviously something was not kosher about the e-mail, so I contacted PayPay to inquire about the e-mail. I got this response:
"Dear Mr. Balcziak,
"Thank you for bringing this suspicious link to our attention. Please do not click on this link. If you have used the link, please change your PayPal Password, Secret Questions and Answers immediately, as well as review your transactions and account information for any unauthorized
activity. We are aware of the situation and are investigating the matter thoroughly. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused.
"Sincerely,
PayPal Investigations-Omaha"

This morning, I received another e-mail from the supposed account thieves, basically repeating the message from the first e-mail, but reminding me I only have 2 days to click the link to claim the money.
What concerns me is that this sounds--if memory serves--like the same scam that was pulled on PayPal users about a year ago. I am shocked that PayPal has not posted a warning about this to its customers on its site or via e-mail. PayPal is obviously aware of the problem and appears to be investigating for a week now (see their response to my e-mail) but PayPal STILL hasn't made the issue public. I think that shows blatant disregard for the security of its customer's accounts.
Regardless of what PayPay does or doesn't so, if you get an e-mail of this nature, DO NOT click on the embedded link. You will probably unknowingly send your account info to goodness-knows-where and you will see your PayPal balance zero out without your knowledge.
And shame on PayPal for not making this public, even if it is an isolated problem (which I am guessing it is not).
I am posting this in the After Hours category, too. Mods, please feel free to delete the extra post if necessary, but this seems like something that could apply to a lot of HTF members.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Bill,

Thanks for the heads up. I use PayPal quiet extensively and have never heard anything about this. I will advise all of my friends the same thing. I really appreciate the info.

Scott Basham

Stunt Coordinator
With that kinf of info, it seems that the crooks could not only drain your PayPal account, but could also drain your bank account or credit card limit! Serious stuff indeed. Thanks for the info.

Kevin_W

Second Unit
man I know I am safe... I always seem to use paypal for outgoing transactions... never incoming. :frowning:
But good info nonetheless.
Kevin

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator
You're right about it being similar to the one a year ago; in fact, I notified paypal about an email I had received last year about this time and instead of thanking me, they froze my account (with over $500 in it)and ignored all my complaints, etc. needless to say, I cancelled my account with them----they have terrible customer service and in fact rarely read email to them---everything is sent out as a stock reply.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
I know of more than a dozen people who've received similar e-mails this week. PayPal has failed to respond to my e-mails and those from everybody else I've heard from. They have nothing posted on their site about the security problem, and they seem content to sit it out.

That's really a frightening response from a company that wants me to trust them with my money!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks