What's new

Will we see a new Capra Collection Blu-Ray from Sony? (1 Viewer)

Peter Keller

Agent
Real Name
Peter

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Wasn’t sure where else to put this (Moderators, feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread), but Chelsea Rialto Studios will be putting out a Blu-ray of Meet John Doe from a new transfer of the camera negative.

I wonder how they obtained access to the original negative? If Sony has the negative do they just give it to whomever wants it? Obviously just because a film falls into public domain doesn't make the film negative available to anyone. No disrespect intended. Just curious.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I wonder how they obtained access to the original negative? If Sony has the negative do they just give it to whomever wants it? Obviously just because a film falls into public domain doesn't make the film negative available to anyone. No disrespect intended. Just curious.
Nope UCLA had the negative - in fact last year they told me that a video firm could ask to use the neg but probably would not get it because of Sony --- maybe Sony passed on this and thats how it cleared the way for release?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The orginal negative would be nitrate . A 2K scan would have to be done and then digital clean up. Not sure how popular the film was in 1941 and how many prints were struck from the negative. As the negative would be over 80 years old now, it is possible it was no longer complete and needed other souces for the a complete video. Just seems like an expensive project for a small video company.

Anyway here is the cartoon included with the Meet John Doe" blu ray.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The orginal negative would be nitrate . A 2K scan would have to be done and then digital clean up. Not sure how popular the film was in 1941 and how many prints were struck from the negative. As the negative would be over 80 years old now, it is possible it was no longer complete and needed other souces for the a complete video. Just seems like an expensive project for a small video company.

Anyway here is the cartoon included with the Meet John Doe" blu ray.

Great point sir - read Bob Furmaneks posts somewhere on here - he found the negative decades ago and said he looked it over quickly saying it was in good shape and he gave it to UCLA - I am gob smacked though that Sony did want to release it

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
If I read it right this will be a burned not pressed disc? Hope I’m wrong about that.
Wrong info it is a 35mm print not original negative he just messaged me he will correct THANKS to Ray for clarifying why Sony has the rights to the neg "Columbia bought the original TV rights. I actually have a vintage Screen Gems print in addition to a reduction from a 35mm"

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Color me confused.

I was under the impression that the OCN was part of the Packard Collection at UCLA. If there was an HD scan, it might have pre-dated that ownership, and may be an older telecine.

Currently, OCNs are not (or should not be) scanned at anything less than 4k.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Color me confused.

I was under the impression that the OCN was part of the Packard Collection at UCLA. If there was an HD scan, it might have pre-dated that ownership, and may be an older telecine.

A Nitrateville member posted this from an email received from Chelsea Rialto Studios:

"Our latest BD-R release is Frank Capra's MEET JOHN DOE starring Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward Arnold, Walter Brennan, James Gleason and Spring Byington.

Produced from an HD transfer of a beautiful 35mm print, this is the best MEET JOHN DOE has looked since its release in 1941. Also on the disc is the original theatrical trailer; a recently discovered Tiomkin scoring session and "scored version" of the final rooftop scene; the Meet John Doe sequence from THE MEN WHO MADE THE MOVIES: FRANK CAPRA; and a Merrie Melodie, MEET JOHN DOUGHBOY."

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just bought the VCI DVD at a low price thankfully , of course this happened! :D Hopefully there will be some reviews of this release. BDr releases don't bother me, Im more concerned about image quality

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I just bought the VCI DVD at a low price thankfully , of course this happened! :D Hopefully there will be some reviews of this release. BDr releases don't bother me, Im more concerned about image quality

I can’t render judgement as I’ve yet to buy any of their Blu-ray releases. But if it’s anything like their film score releases, I’m sure it will look the best it possibly can under the circumstances since it looks like Mr. Faiola is not using the negative as initially advertised (their Our Town release is supposed to be a major upgrade over previous releases despite being sourced from 16mm).

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Color me confused.

Looks very good - wonder if Sony will still ignore this classic? Will this be the best out there?

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I can’t render judgement as I’ve yet to buy any of their Blu-ray releases. But if it’s anything like their film score releases, I’m sure it will look the best it possibly can under the circumstances since it looks like Mr. Faiola is not using the negative as initially advertised (their Our Town release is supposed to be a major upgrade over previous releases despite being sourced from 16mm).
So I decided to order it and he shipped the Blu-ray within an hour ! Ill get it next week according to the tracking .

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is the news many of us have been waiting for as we're not only getting a Blu-ray, but a 4K/UHD release too.

"ClassicFlix Newsletter - Volume 2, Issue 2

MEET JOHN DOE

The big news today is we've started a 4K restoration of Frank Capra's timeless forgotten man drama Meet John Doe (1941) starring Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck. Release date on both 4KUHD and Blu-ray is likely this fall.

Below is a "restoration in progress" clip from a recent 4K scan."

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is the news many of us have been waiting for as we're not only getting a Blu-ray, but a 4K/UHD release too.

"ClassicFlix Newsletter - Volume 2, Issue 2

MEET JOHN DOE

The big news today is we've started a 4K restoration of Frank Capra's timeless forgotten man drama Meet John Doe (1941) starring Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck. Release date on both 4KUHD and Blu-ray is likely this fall.

You're welcome everyone! I just purchased the Blu release from Chelsea Rialto... :rolleyes: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks