What's new

Will we see a new Capra Collection Blu-Ray from Sony? (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I supposed there could have been a deal between Warner Bros and Frank Capra where he agreed to direct 2 films, "Arsenic and Old Lace" and "Meet John Doe" where "Arsenic" would be produced and owned by Warner Bros. and where Warner Bros would only distribute "John Doe", the film produced by Frank Capra Productions and the rights revert to Capra after a number of years. Capra allowed "It's a Wonderful Life" to fall into public domain. Not sure how the film elements ended up at Republic Pictures and after many sales with Paramount. Perhaps he no longer owned it when it went into public domain. "State of The Union" another Liberty Picture was released by MGM but is now with Universal somehow, perhaps MCA got the rights before they bought Universal, just a guess.
Wikipedia to the rescue:
Paramount bought Liberty Pictures with the assets of "Its A Wonderful Life", and "State of The Union" "Wonderful Life" was sold with cartoons such as Betty Boop to U.M. & M. TV Corporation which were all later sold to National Telefilm Associates, and in turn became Republic Pictures. While "State of the Union" was included with the pre 1950 Paramount Pictures sold to MCA .

I still don't understand how Sony got the rights to "John Doe" I like seeing the prints that have the Warner Bros shield at the start. This is rare.
Paramount got its A Wonderful Life through NTA and Republic correct all those great Serials too yet they will not let anyone release them. Meet John Doe we know was sold to a NY company so again how does it wind up at Sony. Unless Sony bought that company?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I was recently corrected that Meet John Doe was actually a Frank Capra Productions instead of a Warner Brothers production (I think I knew that decades ago, but forgot).

Does anyone know if Frank Capra Productions had a company logo? I've been doing an internet search, but haven't been successful.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I was recently corrected that Meet John Doe was actually a Frank Capra Productions instead of a Warner Brothers production (I think I knew that decades ago, but forgot).

Does anyone know if Frank Capra Productions had a company logo? I've been doing an internet search, but haven't been successful.
In 1945 Capra and Riskin sold all rights in Meet John Doe to Sherman S. Krellberg's Goodwill Pictures, a New York distributor. While in Goodwill's possession, the original camera negative deteriorated due to poor storage and was eventually destroyed. Copyright in the film was not renewed and it fell into the public domain in 1969.[11]

The Library of Congress created a fresh preservation negative in the 1970s by combining Goodwill's surviving 35mm prints with the Warner Bros. studio print.[11] Too bad they did not sell the film to Warners we would not be here now wondering ---- such a great film and MIA in good quality Of course wikipedia wrong again thanks to Mr Furmanek we know the neg exists

Last edited:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That’s totally wrong. The original 35mm nitrate camera negatives (both picture and track) were in excellent condition when I found them circa 1990.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Oh, that info is on Wikipedia? That’s about as reliable as technical data on IMDb!
Yep THATS why I mention u and set it right - still no one knows why Sony is involved unless they bought Krellberg rights?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Easy answer - The rights are unclear.

Meet John Doe was a WB production, (not a Columbia production, like the other Sony owned Capra films).

Since it fell into PD, it's a gamble for a studio to release the restored version (even though one now exists).

Sony/Columbia have their name on the broadcast version that TCM shows. But broadcast rights and home-video rights are not always the same.

There are certainly some examples in the last several years of a PD film with a new restoration being released. New restorations are copyrightable. For the restoration, not necessarily for the film itself. Which means a PD label can release the same old crappy versions that have been around for ages, but they cannot release the restored version.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Other legal documents pertaining to the film indicate that part of Capra's debt to Warner Bros. was settled by a payment of $13,835.31, which the studio secured from the profits made on his next picture, Arsenic and Old Lace. Frank Capra Productions, Inc. was dissolved on 29 Dec 1941, and its assets were distributed to Capra and Riskin.

No logo but info says Frank Capra Productions ----Frank Capra Productions, Inc. Overview

Frank Capra Productions, Inc. filed as a Articles of Incorporation in the State of California on Wednesday, June 9, 1954 and is approximately sixty-eight years old, according to public records filed with California Secretary of State. DId he start another company 13 years later

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Other legal documents pertaining to the film indicate that part of Capra's debt to Warner Bros. was settled by a payment of $13,835.31, which the studio secured from the profits made on his next picture, Arsenic and Old Lace. Frank Capra Productions, Inc. was dissolved on 29 Dec 1941, and its assets were distributed to Capra and Riskin.

No logo but info says Frank Capra Productions ----Frank Capra Productions, Inc. Overview

Frank Capra Productions, Inc. filed as a Articles of Incorporation in the State of California on Wednesday, June 9, 1954 and is approximately sixty-eight years old, according to public records filed with California Secretary of State. DId he start another company 13 years later
His science documentaries in the late 50s/early 60s (Hemo The Magnificent, Our Mister Sun) were produced by Capra himself. So obviously he re-used the name.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
I think were getting close to release the capra collection from sony on dvd.it would be great.

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
That’s totally wrong. The original 35mm nitrate camera negatives (both picture and track) were in excellent condition when I found them circa 1990.
Whoa! That's fantastic news! I feared the film would forever be stuck in limbo and exacerbated by a lack of good elements. The only decent presentation is the Sony master from a few years ago that turned up on TCM. All other releases are pitiful public domain cheapy discs or that awful interlaced VCI DVD from a PAL master. The only one I've never tried is the really old Laserdisc from the 80's.
For years I've wondered why no one tried to release MEET JOHN DOE as a special edition or even just a standard Blu-ray.
Just as I've wondered why there are Capra restorations Sony did that haven't yet seen a disc release. I saw one years ago with the others but aside from that and the listing on Park Circus there's no sign of DIRIGIBLE just as there's no Blu-ray release of other Capra titles with standard DCPs available.

My hope is that Indicator would be allowed to do one of their amazing boxsets focused on Capra titles. They could do a mix of Sony masters and 4K restored titles as in their Columbia Noir sets. At least that would get these titles out with nice extras. And since they've announced they're going 4K...imagine if they were allowed to do a separate UHD set of the big ones...at least one can dream!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That's great news! Too bad it's not with a major studio to champion it--I believe it was an independent production, was it not? I know WB released it, but I don't think they produced it. If the elements are with a major archive like UCLA, maybe someone like Kino might put it out
Just saw this a collector sent this it was mailed to me it is from Aug 2022 VCI it was posted on the othe other forum
You will be happy to know that THE GREEN HORNET Serial will be our next 2K Restored chapter play and will be available in early 2023. We have begun a search for good 35mm materials on MEET JOHN DOE and hope to be able to release a new 4K restoration also in 2023.

Thank you for your interest!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Just saw this a collector sent this it was mailed to me it is from Aug 2022 VCI it was posted on the othe other forum
You will be happy to know that THE GREEN HORNET Serial will be our next 2K Restored chapter play and will be available in early 2023. We have begun a search for good 35mm materials on MEET JOHN DOE and hope to be able to release a new 4K restoration also in 2023.

Thank you for your interest!
All they need to do is ask Sony if they have any interest in the title if not VCI is trying

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks