What's new

Will the Real Charlie Chan please stand up? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
One thing that I never figuered out as a kid was why is Charlie Chan always played by a white guy (Warren Oland or Sidney Toler and J Carol Nash)? Sure it was all about the times, but even looking back to the 70s with Kung Fu, David Carradine played the lead role. The Charlie Chan Mysteries were and are very popular to many, I just thought, wouldn't it be great to have an updated CCM series or movies. With actors in thier correct roles, and either set in the 30s—40s era for the vintage flavor or...go full on modern. As long as the characatures are lost and replaced with more mystery and less cartoonish parity...time for a change.

The great actor Key Luke played both Chans #1 son and a great Kato in both Green Hornet serials yet was with exception, rarely given a chance for a real lead role..? And Matan Moreland, played Chans Chauffeur in many of the early films, had to play for comedy relief, but played it over the top...very cartoonish!!

With todays tech, it could be amazing...Jackie Chan is almost old enough, but he might be a little over the top? Charlie Chan was always observent, never one to round house kick someone without cause, he would leave the enforcment to others. There seemed to be many similaities with guys like Columbo, that take advantage of how others saw them and underestimated their talents.

There have been many attempts to revive the character of Chan, but never with a Chinese actor playing the lead role of Charlie Chan. I think it is time to have one of the big film companies to step up and cease an opportunity. Who else would enjoy a version of CCM done right for the first time?
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
One thing that I never figuered out as a kid was why is Cahrlie Chan always played by a white guy
That's one thing I never thought of when I watched Charlie Chan as a kid.

I just thought, wouldn't it be great to have an updated CCM series or movies. With actors in thier correct roles...
I can see them being able to find a detective to play Charlie, and maybe even a killer to play the murderer, but who can they talk into being the victim?
---------------

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Another possibility is Tiz Ma - Curently he's in the revamped Kung Fu series for CW network.

Attachments

• Kung-Fu-Jin-Shen-Tzi-Ma.jpg
    Kung-Fu-Jin-Shen-Tzi-Ma.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 46

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

I can see them being able to find a detective to play Charlie, and maybe even a killer to play the murderer, but who can they talk into being the victim?
---------------
it's all in the script, LOL!!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Attachments

• KeyeLuke.jpg
    KeyeLuke.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

---------------
Well I grew up in the Hollywood area and knew many of the actors out of thier roles, seeing them at restaurants and parks. So Yeah, even then I figured something was up, LOL!!!

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
It's just too bad that we no longer have the great Key Luke, it would have been a truly full circle moment for him to have been able to play Charlie Chan after all of those years playing hi #1 son...
Keye Luke played a Chinese Detective. He played the lead in the last Mr. Wong movie.

mqdefault.jpg

It was common sense to use actors that were known and that could draw to play lots of roles in the 30's - 40's - and 50's. It was common practice and is only now being questioned by groups today trying to inject current moral code into the past. In Japan at the turn of the 1900's only men were allowed on stage and woman's roles were played by men. Things change.
I accept the Chan movies for what they are - good fun and have never had a problem with the fact that the role was played by "white" actors along with playing Indians, Polyneasians, serial killers and monsters from outer space.
Yes, if I were to make them today I would cast Asians for the roles.
We discussed this issue a bit in a thread I started
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/mystery-crime-series-30s-40s.356939/#post-4598347

Cheers

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Todd,

you need to edit your first post, you spelled Charlie wrong,

So if we were to make this a series of films now, correctly with proper casting, and only do the books, in order, with the inclusion of family, first of all it most defiantly would have to be period specific, late 1920's - early 1930's.

Chow Yun Fat

1649177829031.png

that's Chan right there, Honolulu police detective created by author Earl Derr Biggers

why this hasn't happened yet, is beyond me

Right script, Right Director, recommendation Kenneth Branagh 70 mm, the 2 Poriot films are a feast for the eyes

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Keye Luke played a Chinese Detective. He played the lead in the last Mr. Wong movie.

mqdefault.jpg

It was common sense to use actors that were known and that could draw to play lots of roles in the 30's - 40's - and 50's. It was common practice and is only now being questioned by groups today trying to inject current moral code into the past. In Japan at the turn of the 1900's only men were allowed on stage and woman's roles were played by men. Things change.
I accept the Chan movies for what they are - good fun and have never had a problem with the fact that the role was played by "white" actors along with playing Indians, Polyneasians, serial killers and monsters from outer space.
Yes, if I were to make them today I would cast Asians for the roles.
We discussed this issue a bit in a thread I started
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/mystery-crime-series-30s-40s.356939/#post-4598347

Cheers
You're right, and I have it in my collection, still it was all too common, having caucasian actors playing Chinese, Indians (both Hindi & American) and other races. Nice find!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Todd,

you need to edit your first post, you spelled Charlie wrong,

So if we were to make this a series of films now, correctly with proper casting, and only do the books, in order, with the inclusion of family, first of all it most defiantly would have to be period specific, late 1920's - early 1930's.

Chow Yun Fat

View attachment 133115

that's Chan right there, Honolulu police detective created by author Earl Derr Biggers

why this hasn't happened yet, is beyond me

Right script, Right Director, recommendation Kenneth Branagh 70 mm, the 2 Poriot films are a feast for the eyes
being dislexic it comes out very often, I will correct it...you'll see it in many of my posts...thanks

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Like I said though I'm surprised that one of the big streamers having jumped on this for like a limited-run series you can split the books into two parts so you'd have 12 episodes do a complete season really flush out the characters but it would need to be somebody like Amazon or Netflix to make it a big-budget affair to do it properly or like I said it's a six film tadpole at one of the studios want to jump on it.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
, but even looking back to the 70s with Kung Fu, David Carradine played the lead role. View attachment 133103
TBF Kwai Chang Caine was half-Anglo. The Kung Fu series included several Asian actors (including Key Luke - as Master Po) Key Luke started his Hollywood career as a graphic artist. Star Trek also featured an Asian cast member starting with the 2nd pilot. Star Trek also featured Key Luke in a um Key role in the 3rd Season episode "Whom Gods Destroy".
1649190265663.png

Keye Luke did play Mr. Wong in

Phantom of Chinatown

1649187950795.png

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Like I said though I'm surprised that one of the big streamers having jumped on this for like a limited-run series you can split the books into two parts so you'd have 12 episodes do a complete season really flush out the characters but it would need to be somebody like Amazon or Netflix to make it a big-budget affair to do it properly or like I said it's a six film tadpole at one of the studios want to jump on it.
I'd just be thrilled to see a decent reinvisoning of the characters...and not limping along on the same old premises. A more modern interpitation either vintage 20-40s considering the books started in 1919.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
TBF Kwai Chang Caine was half-Anglo. The Kung Fu series included several Asian actors (including Key Luke - as Master Po) Key Luke started his Hollywood career as a graphic artist. Star Trek also featured an Asian cast member starting with the 2nd pilot. Star Trek also featured Key Luke in a um Key role in the 3rd Season episode "Whom Gods Destroy".
View attachment 133155

Keye Luke did play Mr. Wong in

Phantom of Chinatown

View attachment 133154
He was, but I'm talkingnabout him being offered a John Wayne, Greg Peck size role, in a major motion picture...Key Luke has been playing bit parts since the 20s...don't get sidetracked to the thread in hand, LOL!!! Charlie Chan reinventers...I love Key Luke and as I said previously, if he wasn't dead it would have been a perfect role for him!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks