What's new

Will the Real Charlie Chan please stand up? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Deadmans Wonderland GIF by Trippie Redd
Tired Jackie Chan GIF by The Foreigner

Yeah not at all like today with casting the lead in the historical TV series Anne Boleyn :) View attachment 133312
Yeah, it's gone way over the top...so glade I don't do drugs anymore, LOL!!!

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
And Matan Moreland, played Chans Chauffeur in many of the early films, had to play for comedy relief, but played it over the top...very cartoonish!!
Matan Moreland was well respected by the Hollywood community and was once considered (by Moe Howard) as the third Stooge in the Three Stooges, following the death of Shemp, but Columbia who had Moreland AND the stooges under contract said no. Following his film days Moreland toured during the late 1940s and the early 1950s with Bud Harris, Tim Moore, Redd Foxx and Nipsey Russell as his straight men. According to wikipedia: After suffering a stroke in the early 1960s, Moreland took on a few minor comedic roles, working with Bill Cosby, Moms Mabley and Carl Reiner. Those were some heavy hitters in their day. One final thing about Moreland. I saw a documentary where they stated, and showed pictures, where in black neighborhoods, regardless of who the star was... theater marquees would list Matan Moreland as the star. We can't understand his black humor as being good today, though I love every "over the top" appearance. But black audiences loved him.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
This came up many years ago when I was at Sony, and I suggested Chow Yun-Fat. They said nobody knew who he was except whack-jobs like me who went to movies you had to read. There are lots of other HK stars who speak English fluently, like Andy Lau, Donnie Yen and Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, who could do it as well, and likewise certainly plenty of Asian-American actors.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
This came up many years ago when I was at Sony, and I suggested Chow Yun-Fat. They said nobody knew who he was except whack-jobs like me who went to movies you had to read. There are lots of other HK stars who speak English fluently, like Andy Lau, Donnie Yen and Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, who could do it as well, and likewise certainly plenty of Asian-American actors.
Really, I would love to see a well done adventure series of Charlie Chan, either as a film or in the form of Hulu, Netflix or similar higher budgeted production companies. To tackle these with skill, grace and penuche!!
Today, in the arena of movies, it's a ship with no rudder...floudering on all action and special effects but little to no storyline or character delvelopment, blockbuster wannabes.
We need this...will the Real Charlie Chan please stand up!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks