What's new

Weekly RoundUp 12-7-2010 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
600x342px-LL-MikesRoundUp.jpg

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]The Features[/COLOR]

– Una O'Connor, Diana Wynyard & Clive Brook (Cavalcade – 1933)

(in Twentieth Century Fox 75th Anniversary Collection)

– Scarlett Johansson (Lost in Translation – 2003)

–Inception – 2010

–Cast (Shrek Forever After– 2010)

–Federico Luppi & young friend (Cronos– 1993)

–Jeff Bridges & canine friend (A Dog Year – 2009)

–Escape from Zahrain – 1962

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]The Prices[/COLOR]

The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]SD-DVD TITLE [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Amazon[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]BestBuy[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Target[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Costco[/COLOR]

Across the Line: The Exodus of Charlie Wright

$24.99

$24.99

Barry Munday

$15.99

$24.99

Big Bad Mama/Big Bad Mama II (Corman Cult Classics)

$14.99

$14.99

The Bob Hope Collection

$25.99

$29.99

Bonanza: Season 2 Volume 1

$29.99

$29.99

Boy Meets World: Season 4

$21.99

$24.99

Crazy Mama/The Lady in Red (Corman Cult Classics)

$14.99

$14.99

Cronos (CC)

$21.99

$24.99

The Dog Who Saved Christmas Vacation

$13.99

$14.99

A Dog Year

$16.49

$19.99

The Dolphin: Story of a Dreamer

$14.99

$14.99

Dragnet 1969: Season 3

$25.49

$29.99

Escape from Zahrain

$22.49

$19.99

Four Days in October

$14.95

Franz Kafka's A Country Doctor...Koji Yamamura

$26.99

$24.99

Harpoon: Whale Watching Massacre

$24.99

$24.99

Hot Wheel's Battle Force 5: Season 1 Part 2

$14.99

$14.99

Inception

$16.99

$17.99

$17.99

Law & Order: The Eighth Year

$36.99

$44.99

Mademoiselle Chambon

$26.99

$24.99

MLB: 2010 World Series

$13.99

Restrepo

$14.99

$14.99

Shrek Forever After (1-disc)

$16.99

$16.99

$17.99

Shrek Forever After/Donkey's Christmas Shrektacular

$19.99

$19.99

$22.99

Shrek: The Whole Story

$31.99

$34.99

$32.99

$31.89

Spongebob Squarepants: Season 6 Volume 2

$19.99

$22.99

Twentieth Century Fox 75th Anniversary Collection

$357.49

$429.99

Vega$: Season 2 Volume 1

$27.99

$34.99

Yogi Bear's All Star Comedy Christmas Caper

$10.99

$12.99

The Year of Getting To Know Us

$22.49

$19.99

The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 255, 255)]BLU-RAY TITLE [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Amazon[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 255, 255)]BestBuy[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Target[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Costco[/COLOR]

Across the Line: The Exodus of Charlie Wright

$26.99

Alice in Wonderland (2009 Disney) (3-D)

$34.99

$34.99

Barry Munday

$21.99

$24.99

Cronos (CC)

$29.49

$34.99

Harpoon: Whale Watching Massacre

$21.99

$24.99

Inception (1-disc)

$18.99

Inception (Combo Pack)

$17.99

$24.99

$17.99

$25.99

Lost in Translation

$19.99

Mademoiselle Chambon

$31.49

$29.99

MLB: 2010 World Series

$18.99

Restrepo

$19.99

$24.99

Rush Hour

$18.99

$22.99

Shrek Forever After (1-disc)

$24.49

$22.99

Shrek Forever After (Combo Pack)

$17.99

$25.99

$17.99

$27.99

Shrek: The Whole Story

$40.49

$49.99

$42.99

$43.99

The Universe: Seven Wonders of Solar System (3-D)

$20.49*

$24.99

Videodrome (CC)

$29.49

$34.99

The Year of Getting To Know Us

$17.99

$19.99

(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

Individual Titles in the Collections Listed Above:

The Bob Hope Collection (DVD): The Lemon Drop Kid, Road to Bali, Road to Rio, My Favorite Brunette, The Seven Little Foys.

Shrek: The Whole Story (DVD & Blu-ray): Shrek, Shrek 2, Shrek the Third, Shrek Forever After.

Twentieth Centurty Fox 75th Anniversary Collection (DVD): Click this link to read comprehensive list of included films @ amazon.com
ir

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]The Disclaimer[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp[/COLOR]. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain!
If there is a title not included in the [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]RoundUp[/COLOR] that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]RoundUp[/COLOR]. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]The Specials[/COLOR]
--There's some strange stuff going on this week (I swear Black Friday throws off everyone's equilibrium!
smiley_wink.gif
): Best Buy, in its Sunday flyer has a single disc version of Inception that no one else has--yet they are NOT calling it an EXCLUSIVE. Also, Target has some kickass prices on the combo packs for the new Shrek release and Inception--killing everyone else's pricepoint. And, there is split release date on the 3-D release of The Universe: Seven Wonders of the Solar System. Some say it is this week. Others (like Amazon) claim it is January 11. Normally, I would go with the later date...but since this title prominently appears in BB's Sunday flyer, i thought I'd mention it here.

--Best Buy, this week, has an EXCLUSIVE COMBO PACK OF INCEPTION WHICH INCLUDES "INCEPTION: THE SHOOTING SCRIPT" for $29.99. Includes the director's initial handwritten notes of the Inception plot. Minimum of 2 per store. No rainchecks.

--Best Buy is also advertising an EXCLUSIVE TALKING PACKAGE with its copies of Shrek: The Whole Story. (As is often the case, they don't make it clear if this applies to BOTH the DVD & Blu-ray versions.) Minimum of 2 per store. No rainchecks.

--Best Buy is also advertising some bonus content from Shrek: The Whole Story through use of a smartphone and a special code printed in the flyer.

--Best Buy has the following 3-D Blu-ray discs on sale for $29.99 this week. Many more great deals in store and on-line. My Bloody Valentine, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Monster House, The Last Airbender, Open Season, A Christmas Carol (Disney).

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]--Best Buy has the following Blu-ray discs on sale this week (Many more great deals in store and on-line):[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]$9.99: The Departed, The Ugly Truth, American History X, The Wrestler, Slumdog Millionaire, The Taking of Pelham 123, The Human Centipede, Hancock, Gran Torino, Watchmen.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]$14.99: Sherlock Holmes, The Blindside, 2012, The Hangover, Boondock Saints II, Ninja Assassin, Zombieland, I Love You Man, Where the Wild Things Are, Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]$19.99: Predators, Toy Story, The Last Airbender, Killers, Percy Jackson/Olympians, The Princess and the Frog, Robin Hood, Eat Pray Love, Wall*E, Get Him to the Greek.[/COLOR]

--Best Buy has the following TV Shows on DVD on sale this week for $19.99: Dexter: Season 2, Entourage: S5, Californication: S2, MadMen: S2, Castle: S1, NCIS: S6, Six Feet Under: S5, Scrubs: S2, Flight of the Conchords: S2 9. Some of those seasons are educated guesses. The ad just shows the spines of the titles and some of that print is hard to make out. Many more great deals in store and on-line.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends: A list of DVDs for $4.99 apiece.

--At Target this week no real specials to speak of (outside of those great prices on the Inception and Shrek Combo Packs released this week. It is just amazing that they are selling both of those Combo Packs for the same price that they are listing the stand-alone DVD copies. They are also advertising some gift-wrapped copies of Shrek Forever After on DVD and Combo Pack for the same price of $17.99.

--Target Odds and Ends: None to report.

--At Ultimate Electronics, the week's new releases titles are as follows: Inception ( [COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Combo Pack $21.95[/COLOR] , DVD $14.95), Shrek Forever After ([COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Combo Pack $21.95, Blu-ray only $18.95[/COLOR], DVD $15.95), Shrek Forever After + Donkey's Christmas Shrektacular (DVD $17.95), Shrek: The Whole Story ([COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Blu-ray $38.95[/COLOR], DVD $26.95).

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]--UE also lists the following 3-D Blu-ray discs:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]$27.95: Alice in Wonderland (2009 Disney)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]$24.95: Cats & Dogs, IMAX Space Station, IMAX Under the Sea, Clash of the Titans, The Polar Express.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]$19.95: Open Season, Monster House, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, 2010 FIFA Official Film.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]$14.95: IMAX Wild Ocean, IMAX Dinosaurs Alive!, IMAX Grand Canyon Adventure.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]--UE also has the following Blu-rays listed for $9.95 (the first five titles, in bold, also carry $10 in movie cash to see "Little Fockers."): 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Baby Mama, Role Models, Horton Hears a Who, Ice Age: The Meltdown, Ice Age, The Wild, Alvin & Chipmunks/Squeakquel, Meet the Robinsons, Chicken Little, Dinosaur, Night/Smithsonian II, National Treasure, National Treasure 2, Princess Bride, Marley and Me, PotC: Dead man's Chest, PotC: Curse of Black Pearl, Remember the Titans, Independence Day.[/COLOR] There are a number of $6.95 DVDs which also carry the $10 movie cash for "Little Fockers."

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have just added the amazon links and links to HTF reviews of this week's new releases.

Sorry for the delay.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I cannot figure out Amazon's pricing on the Shrek 4 combo pack. The single disc Blu is $6.50 MORE than the multi-disc combo pack?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
A guy can go broke this week...

Inception and Shrek. Wall-E, I Love You Man, Slumdog Millionaire, 2012, District 9, I am Legend and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (these are just the wants; I'll probably change my mind a dozen times between now and when I get to the store).

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Inception, and Dragnet season 3 for me. I am still dead broke after last week, and the week before, for that matter.

Thanks Mike!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks for another WRU, Mike.

BTW, looks like the Lost in Translation BD is apparently a 1-month exclusive for Amazon -- it's not available anywhere else til 1/4/11. Also, The Mission BD will no longer be Amazon exclusive starting this week.

I already preordered the Shrek: The Whole Story BD boxset from Amazon a long while ago (w/ a personal Gold Box discount), so unless the price falls anymore by Tues, I'm getting it for ~$38.50+tax (w/ part of it paid by the Amazon GC promo offer 5% bonus I received just before T-Day

Am interested in a few other catalog BD releases, including the Criterions, but I'll probably be waiting for better sale prices on those. Hopefully, B&N will keep doing their 50%-off Criterion sales every few months...

_Man_

timmytimmy

Grip
Real Name
Tim
I have dropped some heavy hints to my wife about Inception, I think she might have to make a trip to Target this week for that. Agree with the thoughts on waiting for the Criterions... B&N has been having those half off sales at least twice a year, so I think waiting for Cronos will be worth my while. Separately for Mike, you've been doing a great job with the roundup lately. With the holidays coming, it's like the stores have been trying to complicate their ads to confuse the consumers into spending more money! Luckily we have you to guide us. Thanks, buddy.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Inception for sure

Shrek -- taking my life into my own hands and going against my better judgement, I just placed an order with Deep Discount for 30.36 using their 25MORE discount code.

It's been a year since my last order and the latest reviews on the former King have been depressing, but I'll give them a shot for this kind of discount (once).

Lost in Translation I'll probably pick up when it hits the $10-12 discount.

The 2 Criterions definitely, but probably next summer (hoping) during the BN sale.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have just added the link to Rich's review of the Big Bad Mama Double Feature in the OP.

Just some classic Angie Dickinson. I should have included an image up in the "Features" section of the OP.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks, Joe! I was wondering about that. . .was gonna wait until it's cheaper but I'm willing to pay a few bucks (especially since they'd come off a gift card rather than out of my wallet) for a decent copy of the scipt.

EDIT: Oops, didn't notice that they want $30 for the exclusive version with the script. No thanks. :(

EDIT 2: Be careful! They are listing both the combo pack and the 1-disc BD for $17.99. Make sure you're ordering the combo pack (if that's the one you want).

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Originally Posted by David Norman

Inception for sure

Shrek -- taking my life into my own hands and going against my better judgement, I just placed an order with Deep Discount for 30.36 using their 25MORE discount code.

It's been a year since my last order and the latest reviews on the former King have been depressing, but I'll give them a shot for this kind of discount (once).

I just checked the DD website, and with the coupon code the prices for Shrek: The Whole Story were $40.48 and $31.98 (which I assume were for the BD set and DVD set respectively). Was the price you obtained of $30.36 for the BD or DVD?

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Given the Fantasia BD fumble at Target last week, I was there at Target to "open" the doors for them this morning (even though I don't work there) so I could get my grubby little hands on their very nicely priced BD of Inception. They must have learned from last week (or something else ...) as there were lots of copies. From a post above it appears that Best Buy has price matched as well => ended up losing a few Reward points but no matter. I'm happy enough !

Regards

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hope someone who's at a Best Buy today can let us know if there really is a 1-disc BD of Inception. Color me curious.

I'll be heading to Target later on today for Inception (well, my wife and I will. I've already given her a strong hint on this title. ). Glad to hear at least one store is stocking lots of copies.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon ). Glad to hear at least one store is stocking lots of copies.

I think BB has some kind of deal with Warners because there's also a 1 disc version of The Town and that animated owl movie (I can't remember the title) next week too and everyone else has the DVD/Blu-ray combo.

The Target in my area had a ton of Inception on Blu-ray too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks