What's new

Will Fox Release The Poseidon Adventure 1972 On Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

20 years ago when films like "Gone With the Wind" and "The Wizard of Oz" turned 50 - it was a great marketing gimmick.

Today It looks like every blu-ray catalog title has an "Anniversary Date" on the cover. It's almost ridiculous and it now means nothing. Really 35 years? Really 40 years? Really 25 Years? Really 17.5 years? Really? Really? I mean, Really

How do you know it means nothing and do you have marketing data to backup your assertion?

Crawdaddy

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by Robert Crawford How do you know it means nothing and do you have marketing data to backup your assertion?

Crawdaddy

I'm not knocking FOX, and I'm glad Mr. Finn posts here. But regarding blu-ray in general, and Hollywood's marketing belief's that slappng an anniversrary on a blu-ray makes as much difference as "new and Improved' on a box of Tied, the branding is getting so over used that it really is meaning less. Since more classic films are over 50 and more and more widescreen, color films are turning 40 50, 60 every film made before 1990 will have a major anniversary in the next five years. Is it really that specially...no

In the mid 80's when a major film like "Gone With the Wind" turned 50 ..it wasa major event. How many color films were over 50 years old in 1989?

"The Adventures of Robin Hood"

"Snow White and the Seven Drawfs"

"The Wizard of Oz"

in 2011 - 1000's of films are now over 50 years old....maybe I wasn't clear enough

It's almost like stating on the cover "In Color"....yeah, almost everything made in the last 50 years is in color

wolfman6

Auditioning
Real Name
Brad Lane
Please convey my hopes that the Blu-Ray audio restoration will play The Morning After correctly. I don't know why, but the Special Edition release had this audio messed up, mainly in the scene of Nonnie and her band rehearsing. They lost all the electric piano and played up the guitar and softened the song. This scene always started with an electric piano chord right before the lyric "Oh can't you see the Morning After?" This chord was missing from the audio or put on one stereo track at a low volume so that the guitar overwhelms the electric piano and continues this way through the entire scene. The audio is then correct at the New Year's Eve party. I was wondering if they did this? Maybe to make the rehearsal sound more acoustic? It's not true to the original film though. What we got on the SE does not even sound like the band rehearsal track on the lalaland CD. I really hope they fix this. It sounded fine in the prior DVD and laserdisc releases.

Poseidon

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Looks like "Poseidon Adventure" is coming out as a Walmart exclusive April 4th ... Link Below. Not really being touted as an anniversary release. But there's still time, they might have a wide non-exclusive release this December. Maybe James could chime in on this.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/20524717

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Poseidon

Looks like "Poseidon Adventure" is coming out as a Walmart exclusive April 4th ... Link Below. Not really being touted as an anniversary release. But there's still time, they might have a wide non-exclusive release this December. Maybe James could chime in on this.

[url=http://www.walmart.com/ip/20524717]http://www.walmart.com/ip/20524717

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/318440/the-one-that-started-them-all-1972-the-posideon-adventure-coming-to-blu-ray - or you could just look at this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks