will a power conditioner help me?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chriss M, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

I've been trying (without success) to remove a slight hum in my system caused by my H/H AVR520 receiver. I've pretty much narrowed the cause of the problem to something with the electrical wiring in the house. It's definitely not a CATV ground loop, it still buzzes when nothing (other than speakers) are hooked up, and it's not the unit itself (had it checked out at an authorized service center).

Would a power conditioner, possibly somethign like a monster HTS2600, help to clean up the incoming power and remove the hum? Or am i going to need to look into the wiring of the house to see what else is on the circuit that could be the source of the problem?

2. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Quite possible. I had a similar issue in my house. I had a new ground rod installed, two dedicated 20A circuits put in, etc etc. These measures eliminated a major portion of the hum, but not completely (it was still audible 6 inches from the speakers). Finally, I added a Monster HTS2500 to the equation .. and this appears to have eliminated it for all practical purposes. Now I can hear the hum only if I stick one ear to the speaker, close the other and concentrate (and this does not change as the volume is turned up using an empty input).

Do you get the hum even without external amps? I never had the hum when I was using my Denon 3801 as a receiver though ... its only when I added external amplification that all these issues popped up (as expected) ..

3. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Chris,

You also have the option of installing a dedicated 20 amp line which is what I did and it resolved all humming problems that I had.

An electrician will do it for about 150.00(cheaper then a good conditoner} and it only takes about an hour to do. You could do it yourself for about 30.00..

4. brian a

brian a Second Unit

I thought having your amp and source on different circuits increased the chance for ground hum.

5. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

6. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

thanks guys. i might try picking one up today after work. if it doesnt help, i can always just return it.

any important differences between the models in the monster line...2600, 3600, etc.. ?