What's new

Why the *&^! is this happening. (1 Viewer)

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, if you make your way to the Software forum. Read my Thread on the JP3 DTS track being bad.

Now here's the senario.

I got in my new PB12 sub which kicks A$$ by the way. Well after getting advice here on this forum. I set All speakers to SMALL including my mains, which are Pioneer Studio Series T100's. They are about 7yrs old and consist of a Tweeter and 2 6" subs i believe.

Well i noticed when playing JP3 in DTS and JP in DTS and other DISC like T2 etc. that I would get massive sound cut offs. Like skips on a CD. I WAS FURIOUS!! I was going to b*tch at Universal already.

Out of pure curiousity. I set the mains back to LARGE and WOW, sounds great, no skips etc etc.

Is my reciever messed up. Why would the DTS tracks sound crappy with 2 mains set to small.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Questions:

What's your DVD player?

What's your reciever?

Does this happen at low volumes as well?

Does this happen only with DTS soundtracks?

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
Oops sorry about that.

Richard,

I have the Onkyo 575x

I have the Pioneer DV-333 DVD player

When I played JP3 I only heard it in the DTS track, when I switched to the DD track I didnt hear it.

Secondly, I also heard it T2 DTS but ONLY in the thx intro. when the liquid metal forms the THX. The rest of T2 played fine.

Then I heard it a lot in JP when the copter is entering the island. After Hammond says "There it is" and points to the island.

As far as volumes. Yes it happens at any volume. And so far its only in DTS tracks.

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
I have those DVDs. I have never heard a "drop out" of sound on ANY DVDs.

I have a Denon 3801, if that matters, and my player is a Toshiba. (the RP91 is on the way!)

Sounds to me like the problem is in your hardware, not the recording.

(Sorry!)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Out of pure curiousity. I set the mains back to LARGE and WOW, sounds great, no skips etc etc.
Troubleshooting 101 - I assume you've gone back and forth enough times to verify that it always happens when the sub is on, and never happens when the sub is off? If you tried 'Large' just once, it's possible that it was just coincidence that it didn't skip that time. I would recommend doing it a few times to be absolutely sure that this is specifically what is causing this.

Next, assuming you have narrowed it down to just this factor, how loud is your sub playing, and how close is the sub's location to the DVD player? This sounds really far-fetched, but maybe the bass is vibrating your DVD player to the point where it's actually skipping? You could test this by setting your speakers to 'Small' so that the sub is engaged, but turning the sub off (or turning the level down).

The other possibility, equally (or maybe a little less) far-fetched, is that there's a bug in your receiver which causes it to drop the audio when you have your speakers configured to the 'Small'.

PaulKH

Second Unit
OK, dumb question - what's JP and JP3? People use so many movie acronyms I can't follow 'em all...

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
It has nothing to do with the sub. It skips in quiet scenes too. Like regular vocals. And Yes I tried it 4 times with my speakers set back to Large and all the skips in all those DVD's are gone.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Ruben:
Sounds like a hardware issue. Maybe it's something about the 575x's DTS decoding chip? Dunno, just guessing here.
Paul:
JP = Jurassic Park
JP3 = Jurassic Park III
J6P = Joe 6-pack :D

Jeff Williams

Stunt Coordinator
Ruben, try this. Go into the receiver's menus and make sure the bass limiter is off and try it. It could be that the amount of bass during those certain points is greater than what the receiver is set to and therefore is cutting out. Give it a shot.

Jeff

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Take it from a fellow 575x owner ....DTS DVDs skip b/c you have cinema Re-EQ turned on; it's only effective for DD tracks.

Turn Re-EQ off and no more skips ! Problem Solved.

Jason Amerson

Auditioning
My buddy had the same problem with JP3 but only on the DTS track. Not sure of the model but I know he has an Onkyo receiver. He said the drop out/skip would also occurs at low volumes.

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
HEY CHUCK!! THANKS MAN, I TURNED OFF RE-EQ AND PUT SPEAKERS BACK TO SMALL AND WHALLL LA NO MORE SKIPS. Thanks man.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Ruben;

Damn! I wish I would have gotten to this thread earlier, because I would have suggested the exact same thing Chuck did.

By the way, I have the 575X too.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
What does RE-EQ do anyway. Is there any disadvantage do not using it? I have an onkyo 595 and have the same problem. I will try it with the RE-EQ off. I noticed it happened on JP3 too and Pearl Harbor. At first I thought it was the SVS 20-39 vibrating the whole house!! This is my first day using it and wow! It rocks!!! I can not stop smiling!! :) see!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks