What's new

Why I Own So Many Movies. (3 Viewers)

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
When DVD was introduced in late '90s, I wanted *everything*. It was nice to have all my "shows" on a format that would age relatively well. I hated tape and still do. These days I'm transitioning from standard DVD to Blu-ray/4K discs and I only buy movies I know I'll re-watch. I've gone from 500+ DVDs to maybe a hundred Blu-ray discs and 4K. There is something about owning a movie or TV show you love that makes me smile. I treasure my copy of Summertime starring Katharine Hepburn.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
People with as much money as him never do bargain hunt.

You can't paint all wealthy people with the same brush but many of them are pretty stupid when it comes to things like investing and saving money etc.

I think you would be surprised at how lazy and ignorant some are. I have seen a few funny stories about some of them.

It's why you see investment banks like Goldman Sachs setting up a a new business arm for Bitcoin investment. It allows all the wealthy people to get exposure in the space without having to do the dirty work of learning how to make the purchases independently.

Obviously Goldman Sachs will take them to the cleaners and charge them extortionate rates for the privilege of providing the service.

Rich people are too busy doing nothing and living a life of leisure to worry about the nitty gritty of saving money etc.

Funny enough I only watched a movie called The Exterminating Angel last night directed by Luis Bunuel.

An hilarious representation of the rich people I describe here. Really liked that one.

Obviously that guy in the video is probably not super rich or anything but he certainly is not on the bread line and can probably lend a bob or two to friends.

Guess I'll need to check out Bunuel's The Exterminating Angel at some point...

And yes, I actually personally know a fairly wealthy person who's a good deal like that... though he can be extremely thrifty (and even downright miserly) on the most trivial/mundane things and is that way due in part to his upbringing along w/ some unfortunate mental issue... But a lot of that sort inherited their wealth and might not be able to competently hold a job for long -- that's certainly him (and yes, he's lost pretty substantial amounts and will likely lose more due to mismanagement and generally poor judgment/choices)...

_Man_

Blu Eye

Second Unit
Real Name
Carl
Guess I'll need to check out Bunuel's The Exterminating Angel at some point...

And yes, I actually personally know a fairly wealthy person who's a good deal like that... though he can be extremely thrifty (and even downright miserly) on the most trivial/mundane things and is that way due in part to his upbringing along w/ some unfortunate mental issue... But a lot of that sort inherited their wealth and might not be able to competently hold a job for long -- that's certainly him (and yes, he's lost pretty substantial amounts and will likely lose more due to mismanagement and generally poor judgment/choices)...

_Man_

Definitely worth checking out.

I watched that one going into it blindly without really knowing much about what the film was about which is something I usually try to do in most new films I watch as I feel I can form my independent opinion on it without any pre notions of how it was received etc.

The first 20 minutes I was baffled by what was going on as it just did not make any sense. I thought it was a serious drama the way the movie started and then thought that the movie was difficult to understand as it was a foreign film and so I thought maybe I don't get the culture or something.

Once the penny dropped I just burst out laughing.

There is a saying the "First generation makes it. 2nd generation maintains it, 3rd generation blows it".

Your friend might be 3rd generation.

You will probably find major inconsistencies in his financial decisions. His thrifty aspects will probably be offset by major spending binges on completely useless things that are probably expensive to keep etc.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Well, here's a reason I own so many movies on blu-ray. I've been fan of a lot of pre-1960 movies since I was a kid, but of course there are so many that there are hundreds of good ones I've missed over the years, including Green Dolphin Street, a 1947 epic starring Lana Turner, Van Heflin, and Donna Reed—plus all the production values that MGM could deliver when it was in its golden age. Anyway, the version I streamed a few years ago was rough, but I still liked this sometimes over-the-top movie. The Warner Archive blu-ray of Green Dolphin Street was released in April of 2021, but somehow I only found out about it last week. When I saw that the HD streaming version was available to own for only $5, I confess that I got that instead. But—buyer beware—that is the unrestored version of the movie. To get the restored version you need to get the blu-ray, which makes sense, I know, for how else are they going to fund these restorations. After talking with amazon customer service via text they reluctantly refunded my $5 for the streaming version. Anyway, I got not only Green Dolphin Street on blu-ray, but more than half a dozen other Warner Archive blu-rays as well.

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 12.05.23 PM.png

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Because it's fun to program Theme Evenings. As an example, I've been watching the well-regarded LUPIN series. So last night I pulled LUPIN THE THIRD: THE CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO to watch, and tonight I'll start with the Warner Archive Double Feature of ARSENE LUPIN (1932) and ARSENE LUPIN RETURNS (1938). I did the same when I was watching the new PERRY MASON prequel series, following episodes up with both episodes of the Raymond Burr TV series and several of the films in the Warner Archive PERRY MASON MOVIE COLLECTION. Who knew how suave Perry was when portrayed by Warren William, how many employees he had, and that he was canoodling with Della Street! I used to love the Film Festivals at the old Regency Theater in Manhattan, and can now assemble my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliwilliams12
Recent bookmarks