What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Last Time I Saw Paris -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Richard Brooks' 1954 M-G-M three-strip Technicolor production, The Last Time I Saw Paris, is quality all the way.

Based upon Babylon Revisited, a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, published in the Saturday Evening Post in 1931, it's the latest from Warner Archive's delectable library of Technicolor productions. It's being released simultaneously with a 1943 Tech musical Du Barry Was a Lady.

As opposed to the rich, colorful '40s Tech look, The Last Time I Saw Paris is natural all the way. Just natural in glorious Technicolor. There's a very simple shot about ten minutes in with Elizabeth Taylor in a hotel room. She's wearing a black dress.

And that dress is about the blackest black you'll find on film. No need for HDR.

A superb cast including Miss Taylor, Van Johnson (in his final film for M-G-M), Walter Pidgeon and Donna Reed. Look for 26 year-old Roger Moore in a bit.

Once again, Warner Archive brings Technicolor to Blu-ray with perfection. It's not a great film. It's a nice film. Presumably meant as a vehicle for Miss Taylor.

It received some decent reviews, but the one bad one is a doozy. And I reproduce it not so that you should believe it, but just for fun.

Courtesy of The Harvard Crimson:
November 26, 1964

"The Last Time I Saw Paris is so phoney it hurts. In its return to the Continent from campaigns on the Italian peninsula Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer has settled on a rework of the stock script about war-weary American youth in Europe. Ostensibly patterned after a Scott Fitzgerald novel, it somehow misplaces World War I and ends up occurring in 1945. Otherwise, it is Hollywood's latest testimonial to its own mixed up conception of gay, reckless Paris.

Director Richard Brooks has played every scene at such a high plateau of emotions that the major ones can hardly be distinguished from the minor. Van Johnson, well-known for his engaging smile, is admirably miscast as a struggling writer. All he can do is screw up his face a little more as each scene reaches new heights of emotional seriousness...

Long before this point, any hope for emotional relief is lost. Red-haired Johnson spends most of the film struggling through amorous scenes with Miss Taylor, and the rest struggling with a script that is beyond him. He reaches the limits of credulity when he makes love to Miss Taylor by growling, "Why don't you come over and find out?" She parts her lips, and comes over. Johnson kisses her but just cannot pull it off convincingly.

What relief there is in the film is supplied by Walter Pidgeon, who manages to rise above another job of miscasting in the role of Miss Taylor's carefree, high-living father. Nor is the film all bad, for Miss Taylor is very attractive; she says little and wears new dress creations. But beyond that the film has little to offer in the way of accomplishments, except that it collects into one movie enough stock situations--writer accidentally kills wife, writer fights for daughter--to make three movies.

Director Brooks apparently thought the best way to simplify the movie would be to divide it into four equal parts. He merges sections dominated by Parisian scenes, Johnson gazing at Taylor, wild parties, and family conflict over the baby. The confusing result has been to leave the impression that The Last Time I Saw Paris is not much more than pointless meandering between a fake left bank bistro and a cardboard Arc de Triomphe."

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 7

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely!

Slipcover rating - n/a

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw this in Brooklyn, summer of '55. No knowledge of the language, just images on the eyes of a 5-year-old. But some stuck. Quite a lot, as a matter of fact.
I was chastised elsewhere for hinting at a sad denouement and not hiding it in a spoiler. The quoted review spoils it in spades.
Taylor and Reed are lovely; Taylor more so. Johnson is unforgivable.
Read Fitzgerald's story, Babylon Revisited. Chazelle used it as inspiration for his magnum opus.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Well whatever a reviewer might say, I love this movie and cannot wait for my copy. And I love the Fitzgerald story in its own right. So glad to hear it has been well handled for this edition.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I can't swallow 22-year-old Liz Taylor following for dumpy 38-year-old Van Johnson.

Disbelief unable to suspend!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Richard Brooks' 1954 M-G-M three-strip Technicolor production, The Last Time I Saw Paris, is quality all the way.

Based upon Babylon Revisited, a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, published in the Saturday Evening Post in 1931, it's the latest from Warner Archive's delectable library of Technicolor productions. It's being released simultaneously with a 1943 Tech musical Du Barry Was a Lady.

As opposed to the rich, colorful '40s Tech look, The Last Time I Saw Paris is natural all the way. Just natural in glorious Technicolor. There's a very simple shot about ten minutes in with Elizabeth Taylor in a hotel room. She's wearing a black dress.

And that dress is about the blackest black you'll find on film. No need for HDR.

A superb cast including Miss Taylor, Van Johnson (in his final film for M-G-M), Walter Pidgeon and Donna Reed. Look for 26 year-old Roger Moore in a bit.

Once again, Warner Archive brings Technicolor to Blu-ray with perfection. It's not a great film. It's a nice film. Presumably meant as a vehicle for Miss Taylor.

It received some decent reviews, but the one bad one is a doozy. And I reproduce it not so that you should believe it, but just for fun.

Courtesy of The Harvard Crimson:
November 26, 1964

"The Last Time I Saw Paris is so phoney it hurts. In its return to the Continent from campaigns on the Italian peninsula Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer has settled on a rework of the stock script about war-weary American youth in Europe. Ostensibly patterned after a Scott Fitzgerald novel, it somehow misplaces World War I and ends up occurring in 1945. Otherwise, it is Hollywood's latest testimonial to its own mixed up conception of gay, reckless Paris.

Director Richard Brooks has played every scene at such a high plateau of emotions that the major ones can hardly be distinguished from the minor. Van Johnson, well-known for his engaging smile, is admirably miscast as a struggling writer. All he can do is screw up his face a little more as each scene reaches new heights of emotional seriousness...

Long before this point, any hope for emotional relief is lost. Red-haired Johnson spends most of the film struggling through amorous scenes with Miss Taylor, and the rest struggling with a script that is beyond him. He reaches the limits of credulity when he makes love to Miss Taylor by growling, "Why don't you come over and find out?" She parts her lips, and comes over. Johnson kisses her but just cannot pull it off convincingly.

What relief there is in the film is supplied by Walter Pidgeon, who manages to rise above another job of miscasting in the role of Miss Taylor's carefree, high-living father. Nor is the film all bad, for Miss Taylor is very attractive; she says little and wears new dress creations. But beyond that the film has little to offer in the way of accomplishments, except that it collects into one movie enough stock situations--writer accidentally kills wife, writer fights for daughter--to make three movies.

Director Brooks apparently thought the best way to simplify the movie would be to divide it into four equal parts. He merges sections dominated by Parisian scenes, Johnson gazing at Taylor, wild parties, and family conflict over the baby. The confusing result has been to leave the impression that The Last Time I Saw Paris is not much more than pointless meandering between a fake left bank bistro and a cardboard Arc de Triomphe."

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 7

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely!

Slipcover rating - n/a

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

I haven't seen the film, but I find the Harvard review 100% believable.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I haven't seen the film, but I find the Harvard review 100% believable.
Well, I got the Blu today and the 3-strip Technicolor is beyond belief. Maybe the best I've ever seen on Blu-Ray. Just perfect. The clarity and accuracy is mind boggling. Mr. Harris actually understates. Liz is also wonderful and her character evolves believably and sympathetically. The whole thing just looks amazing, the clothes, the sets, the details, like a big Hollywood film, which of course, this is, and has its pluses and minuses. It's the kind of film my mom and dad would go to see on Saturday night when I was little, and they would dress up for it, just like the characters in this film. So I imagine I'm seeing it with them. As I recall, they really liked it and so do I. It's very glossy, "more stars then in the firmament of heaven" MGM. Maybe even echt-MGM, if that's your thing. The characters aren't believable human beings, but they're not supposed to be. The fact that it looked so crappy in PD and now looks so exquisite makes it extra appreciated. "American Playhouse" this isn't. But after reading the Harvard Crimson review, which I enjoyed immensely, this is way more entertaining and involving than I expected. So I'm happy. But yeah, Van Johnson spends a lot of time glaring myopically at typewriters. And his fingers are all wrong. Somehow, I don't think he ever learned to type. You'd think Liz might have given him a few pointers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks