What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: The Last Time I Saw Paris (1954) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
resize.jpeg

New 2023 1080p HD master from 4K scan of Original Technicolor Camera negatives!.
Coming to Blu-ray July 31st!
THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS (1954)
Run Time: 116 Minutes
Subtitles: ENGLISH SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-MA 5.1 Stereo
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.75:1
Product color: Color
DIsc Configuration-BD 50

Special Features: TOM & JERRY CARTOON - TOUCHE PUSSYCAT (HD-Letterbox); ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER
Cast: Elizabeth Taylor, Van Johnson, Donna Reed, Walter Pidgeon

Academy Award winners Elizabeth Taylor and Donna Reed star with Van Johnson in this sweeping romance loosely based on F. Scott Fitzgerald's "Babylon Revisited", a story of love and dreams found and lost in The City of Lights--The Last Time I Saw Paris. When reporter Charles Wills (Johnson) travels to Paris to cover the Allies' victory in World War II, he falls in love with and marries the stunningly beautiful Helen Ellswirth (Taylor). The young newlyweds choose to stay in Paris, where Charles tries to make his way as a writer. But years of struggle, rejection and poverty take their toll on the Wills' marriage, and the two drift into affairs with others as their love and dreams fade. Now, after years of disillusion and tragedy, Charles returns to Paris. But can he rediscover the passion and dreams that once came so easily?

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
A surprising, but welcome choice since this is in Public Domain and has had so many inferior releases from the bargain bin distributors. I welcome what WAC will do to this wonderful film. I’m in for it.
I am hoping that the Tom and Jerry Cartoon is presented in its proper CinemaScope presentation 2.55 : 1, if so that alone for me will be enough to warrant a purchase!!!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Surprised to see that this is in stereo. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the film but I’ll get it, if only for 1950s Paris location shots.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think Warner FB announcement has the wrong release date. July 31st is a Monday. I believe August 1st will be the correct date.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
A surprising, but welcome choice since this is in Public Domain and has had so many inferior releases from the bargain bin distributors. I welcome what WAC will do to this wonderful film. I’m in for it.

Yes, I believe this marks their third Public Domain film on Blu-ray (Santa Fe Trail and the 1937 A Star is Born being the other two unless I’m forgetting one). It will be interesting to see if we get anymore PD films like Life With Father and Royal Wedding from the Archive in the future.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
View attachment 186673

New 2023 1080p HD master from 4K scan of Original Technicolor Camera negatives!.
Coming to Blu-ray July 31st!
THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS (1954)
Run Time: 116 Minutes
Subtitles: ENGLISH SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-MA 5.1 Stereo
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.75:1
Product color: Color
DIsc Configuration-BD 50

Special Features: TOM & JERRY CARTOON - TOUCHE PUSSYCAT (HD-Letterbox); ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER
Cast: Elizabeth Taylor, Van Johnson, Donna Reed, Walter Pidgeon

Academy Award winners Elizabeth Taylor and Donna Reed star with Van Johnson in this sweeping romance loosely based on F. Scott Fitzgerald's "Babylon Revisited", a story of love and dreams found and lost in The City of Lights--The Last Time I Saw Paris. When reporter Charles Wills (Johnson) travels to Paris to cover the Allies' victory in World War II, he falls in love with and marries the stunningly beautiful Helen Ellswirth (Taylor). The young newlyweds choose to stay in Paris, where Charles tries to make his way as a writer. But years of struggle, rejection and poverty take their toll on the Wills' marriage, and the two drift into affairs with others as their love and dreams fade. Now, after years of disillusion and tragedy, Charles returns to Paris. But can he rediscover the passion and dreams that once came so easily?
Totally unexpected (its PD status) but an underrated movie. Warners' previous laser disc and MOD discs only had the main title music in stereo before it shifted to mono so I hope the 5.1 stereo mix means the entire movie is in stereo.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Yes, I believe this marks their third Public Domain film on Blu-ray (Santa Fe Trail and the 1937 A Star is Born being the other two unless I’m forgetting one). It will be interesting to see if we get anymore PD films like Life With Father and Royal Wedding from the Archive in the future.
Another MGM title that is Public Domain and I would Love to see get a WBArchive release is Vengeance Valley (1951) with Burt Lancaster, Robert Walker and Joanne Dru. (YT has a Poor Quality version to view.) :(
AAA 1951  Vengeance Valley.jpg

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Just saw a clip on you tube of the film WOW they did not waste time in recycling a costume from An American In Paris - Van Johnson wears a costume Gene Kelly wore

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Surprised to see that this is in stereo. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the film but I’ll get it, if only for 1950s Paris location shots.
Warner’s Facebook page has changed the spec to 2.0 mono, so the 5.1 stereo was obviously a misprint.
Whatever the aspect ratio, unfortunately it appears it will only be letterboxed/windowboxed
2.35:1 in HD is still considered “Letterboxed”.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Warner’s Facebook page has changed the spec to 2.0 mono, so the 5.1 stereo was obviously a misprint.

2.35:1 in HD is still considered “Letterboxed”.
that is acceptable for an Best Animated Short Film Nominee, When Magoo Flew, was that years winner.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Saw this in Brooklyn in 1955 (5 years old) and never forgot poor Taylor begging to be let in while freezing in the rain (something I'd never experienced in Puerto Rico), and that idiot Johnson,
dead drunk, not letting her in, with dreadful consequences. I don't think I ever forgave him.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Amazing news!! I'd always hoped we'd see The Last Time I Saw Paris, but never wanted to get my hopes up due to it being in the public domain, which Allen noted. WAC's DVD of it looked quite nice, so the Blu-ray should be beautiful. So happy to have more Elizabeth Taylor on Blu-ray!
I agree completely. I didn't expect this to be released on Blu-ray disc and I was reasonably content with the DVD. Elizabeth looks fabulous in this movie and puts poor Donna Reed, herself a good-looking woman, firmly in the shade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks