What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: Anna Christie (1930) (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1698276419220.png

Coming to Blu-ray December 12th!

NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of preservation elements

ANNA CHRISTIE (1930)

Run Time: 89 Minutes
Subtitles: ENGLISH SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-MA 2.0
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.19:1 with Side Mattes
Product color: B&W
Disc Configuration-BD 50

Directed by Clarence Brown
Cast : Greta Garbo, Marie Dressler, Charles Bickford
Special Features: 1930 German Language version directed by Jacques Feyder starring Garbo (HD); M-G-M Parade television episode #30 with Walter Pidgeon on Greta Garbo’s career; Classic Warner Bros. cartoon “THE BOOZE HANGS HIGH” (HD); Audio-only Lux Radio Theater (2/7/1938) ANNA CHRISTIE broadcast with Joan Crawford and Spencer Tracy.

When it was learned that Greta Garbo, was cast as a disillusioned prostitute in Anna Christie, even her most devoted admirers were skeptical. Not only was it an unglamourous role for the 24-year-old actress, but it was also to be her first talking picture. Garbo’s answer was to play it with superbly. With her first, and now famous spoken line (“Gimme a whiskey, ginger ale on the side. And don’t be stingy baby”) Garbo conquered the world of sound films.. Based on Eugene O’Neill’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play, Garbo give a fascinating performance as an embittered prostitute who returns home to her father, a barge captain. She finds sympathy in the gruff, but kindly Marthy (Marie Dressler), but when a sailor (Charles Bickford) falls in love with Anna, she is forced to reveal her tarnished past to both him and her father, leading to a riveting climax. Among the Special Features on this new Warner Archive Blu-ray disc is the German-language version of the scenario, starring Garbo with a different cast and director. Filmed on the same sets after the original English version was completed, this alternate version is a uniquely different take of the source material, one which Garbo allegedly preferred to the more-widely-known English language version.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Very glad they've included the German language version which I prefer. Garbo's performance in the English version of Anna Christie always seemed a bit stilted to me. Her performance in the German version seems much more fluid. By the time of Camille (1936), Garbo seemed much more comfortable with the English language.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Very glad they've included the German language version which I prefer. Garbo's performance in the English version of Anna Christie always seemed a bit stilted to me. Her performance in the German version seems much more fluid. By the time of Camille (1936), Garbo seemed much more comfortable with the English language.
The German version is one of Jacques Feyder's finest moments, and Garbo's too. So happy to be able to see it again.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Now for MGM's The Big House (Wallace Beery, 1930) in three language versions.
The DVD is available with all 3 versions. I doubt that they may have the elements for a proper BD release of the foreign language versions. But who knows?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
View attachment 201950

Coming to Blu-ray December 12th!

NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of preservation elements

ANNA CHRISTIE (1930)

Run Time: 89 Minutes
Subtitles: ENGLISH SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-MA 2.0
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.19:1 with Side Mattes
Product color: B&W
Disc Configuration-BD 50

Directed by Clarence Brown
Cast : Greta Garbo, Marie Dressler, Charles Bickford
Special Features: 1930 German Language version directed by Jacques Feyder starring Garbo (HD); M-G-M Parade television episode #30 with Walter Pidgeon on Greta Garbo’s career; Classic Warner Bros. cartoon “THE BOOZE HANGS HIGH” (HD); Audio-only Lux Radio Theater (2/7/1938) ANNA CHRISTIE broadcast with Joan Crawford and Spencer Tracy.

When it was learned that Greta Garbo, was cast as a disillusioned prostitute in Anna Christie, even her most devoted admirers were skeptical. Not only was it an unglamourous role for the 24-year-old actress, but it was also to be her first talking picture. Garbo’s answer was to play it with superbly. With her first, and now famous spoken line (“Gimme a whiskey, ginger ale on the side. And don’t be stingy baby”) Garbo conquered the world of sound films.. Based on Eugene O’Neill’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play, Garbo give a fascinating performance as an embittered prostitute who returns home to her father, a barge captain. She finds sympathy in the gruff, but kindly Marthy (Marie Dressler), but when a sailor (Charles Bickford) falls in love with Anna, she is forced to reveal her tarnished past to both him and her father, leading to a riveting climax. Among the Special Features on this new Warner Archive Blu-ray disc is the German-language version of the scenario, starring Garbo with a different cast and director. Filmed on the same sets after the original English version was completed, this alternate version is a uniquely different take of the source material, one which Garbo allegedly preferred to the more-widely-known English language version.
I've never been a Garbo fan and I've never bothered to see this film, but I'm going to buy this disc!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The Blu-ray upgrade of this AMAZING DVD set:
View attachment 201969
is almost complete :D!
Seeing these titles side by side and on their spines has finally deciphered my many years of Garbo confusions.

Can you blame me?

We’ve got an Anna and an Anna.

A Christie and Christina.

And criminy Karenina, we’ve even got a Queen that could be called a Camille.

You name it, for all of these films gave top billing to the same femme fetale.

Thank God Garbo’s resume had no goings on with any of those Green Gables.

P.S. Day One for me.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Seeing these titles side by side titles and on their spines has finally deciphered my many years of Garbo confusions.

Can you blame me?

We’ve got an Anna and an Anna.

A Christie, Christina and Camille

And crimine, we’ve even got a Queen that could be called a Karenina.

You name it, as all had the same actress.

Thank God Garbo’s resume had no goings on with those Green Gables.

P.S. Day One for me.
One cannot remain silent when it comes to Ms Garbo's talents
1700896754220.png
;)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks