What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Is Paris Burning? -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I received my Kino Blu-ray. No issues with the different three audio tracks in which one is 5.1.

1692228956580.png

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I received my copy today as well, and the slip cover is an interesting impressionistic rendering I’ve never seen previously in any artwork related to the film. The main focus of course is the quality of the film as rendered on the Blu-ray disc, and it’s good that there appear to be no deficiencies in audio. However the back cover highlights my ongoing gripe about otherwise typically excellent Kino Lorber packaging: it only relates that DTS encoding is used for audio tracks, but fails to detail how many such tracks are available or what the audio specifics are. For all the cover tells us, it could be dual mono, stereo, 4.0 or 5.1 surround; I cannot for the life of me imagine why they continue to refuse to specify the audio format on any of their films’ back cover credits. It’s routinely offered from the majority of all releasing companies, and is clearly of interest to most customers. It reminds me of when Disney routinely failed to specify some copyright/release years on their videotape or disc credits. But in this instance I think it’s of more importance, rather than forcing us to search out reviews or other sources to discover the audio details.

Last edited:
Real Name
Terry Watson
Fox didn't do blow ups until Sand Pebbles in 1966.
The Longest day was reissued in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane in 70MM on 5th June 1969 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of D-Day. Only a short run - 4 weeks in Sydney and 2 weeks in both Melbourne and Brisbane.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
The Longest day was reissued in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane in 70MM on 5th June 1969 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of D-Day. Only a short run - 4 weeks in Sydney and 2 weeks in both Melbourne and Brisbane.
I saw this reissue at the Summit Cinerama theater in Detroit.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
I wish Fox/ Disney would release a 4K blu of SOUTH PACIFIC but wishful thinking sadly. So much stuff never likely to appear due to Disney's complete non support of physical media.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Today, I received my Kino Blu-ray. No issues with the different three audio tracks in which one is 5.1.

View attachment 194767
Received my copy today. Just to clarify the audio tracks. There is 2.0 stereo English, 5.1 Surround English and 2.0 mono French. There was never, to my knowledge, a stereo French language version. If audio is not selected from the menu, then Play defaults to the English 2.0 stereo track.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Received my copy today. Just to clarify the audio tracks. There is 2.0 stereo English, 5.1 Surround English and 2.0 mono French. There was never, to my knowledge, a stereo French language version. If audio is not selected from the menu, then Play defaults to the English 2.0 stereo track.

Does it have directional dialog?

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
I never been a big fan of Maurice Jarre but this score is magnificent. I have the soundtrack which is excellent.
Try to track down the Tadlow recording of the complete score. As Tadlow is now out of business you may still find a copy at the normal places.

Ignacio

Agent
Real Name
Ignacio Aguilar
The broadcast version that I was referring to a few post ago had very distinct directional dialog. I wouldn't be surprised if someone thought that it was distracting for home setups (for me, it was the highlight of the film, together with Marcel Grignon's superb cinematography).

Last edited:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I enjoyed watching this again on what is a splendid Blu-ray. It’s a powerful, emotionally charged film but is basically a series of vignettes which often do not flow well from one to another. I found myself constantly looking forward to the scenes with Gert Frobe as the German General commander, because as a character he is the one who holds the film together from beginning to end, like sticking tape, amongst the disparate elements. I found Orson Welles’s appearance frustrating because he was doing one of his mumbling performances making it difficult to make out what he was saying – thank goodness for sub-titles! Great Maurice Jarre score. The audio commentary by Daniel Kremer and Howard Berger and is very good and at 3 hours covers a lot of ground. The ending of the film with the documentary footage switching to modern Paris in colour with Jarre’s waltz is unforgettable.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I wish Fox/ Disney would release a 4K blu of SOUTH PACIFIC but wishful thinking sadly. So much stuff never likely to appear due to Disney's complete non support of physical media.
I'd forgotten about Disney now owning all the Rodgers & Hammerstein films outside of CINDERELLA and FLOWER DRUM SONG through the Fox acquisition, so I don't expect to see 4Ks of OKLAHOMA!. CAROUSEL, SOUTH PACIFIC, THE KING AND I or THE SOUND MUSIC any time soon, or ever. If any, maybe (and it's a big Maybe) THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
There may be a glimmer of hope as Disney has started to enter the physical media market again with a few titles

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I've never seen this film, but upon reading about it and seeing all the talent involved in front of and behind the camera I am definitely intrigued. This thread has been extremely informative, insightful, and instrumental in peaking my interest. The only thing that is holding me back is the film's running time. It seems my attention span and/or patience is diminishing the older that I get. I'm a big fan of Ms. Caron and I am most interested in her role in this. Is her role substantial? How is her performance?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks