What's new

Why has The Ten Commandments become synonamous with Easter? (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Without turning this into a relegious discussion, why does this film always show up on Easter Sunday? The two stories don't even share the same timeline!

If a more appropriate epic were to be chosen, it should be Ben-Hur (by strange coincidence, another Chuck Heston movie!)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Sorry, but Moses is B.C., and Ben-Hur is A.D., and BH is "A Tale Of The Christ", and concludes with Judah Ben-Hur bearing witness to the Crucifixion.

PBS used to play BH on the Easter weekend, and even showed it in widescreen!

Philip Klein

Stunt Coordinator
they show it on Easter because it is also the same time of year as Jewish Passover. That's why Jesus was in Jerusalem, for Passover. You've seen the "passover" part in The Ten Commandments right? It's all part of Judeo-Christian religion.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
ABC missed a good opportunity with TTC this year. They should have shown it in HD. Ironically, I watched it on DVD today.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
That's the first thing I thought..I should have gotten the DVD!

I'd like to see Paramount release the 1923 version sometime...But it seems like they're not that interested in their small collection of silent cinema.

Michael_V

Second Unit
"They show it on Easter because it is also the same time of year as Jewish Passover. That's why Jesus was in Jerusalem, for Passover."

- - - - -

That is correct but not comprehensive. According to Christian tradition, Yeshua was in Jerusalem not only to observe Passover but to fulfill it as the final and perfect sacrificial Passover Lamb. Hence John the Baptist's proclamation upon seeing Christ, "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world." Showing a movie commemorating the very first Passover, then, occuring just prior to the Exodus from Egypt, is very appropriate.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Appropriate, yes, but more pictures focusing on the life of Jesus should be shown during Easter weekend. I've noticed not many stations do this anymore, not even on Christmas. Doesn't really matter, just an interesting yet sad observation of the increasingly secular society we live in. I have my Bible, regardless.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
MuchMoreMusic showed Jesus Christ Superstar :) a whole bunch of times during the weekend. and always in WIDESCREEN!
Bravo! also showed Ben Hur in widescreen this weekend.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As was said, the Christian tradition of Easter is remembrance of Jesus' sacrifice, which occurred during Passover, and in Christian theology, is the final Passover sacrifice (shedding of blood for atonement)

The Ten Commandments is the story of Moses and the escape of the Jewish slaves from Egypt; Passover is a remembrance of the the Jews being spared the 10th plague (first born being killed), which finally provided for their leaving Egypt.

Finally, The Ten Commandments is considered a classic film, which many people like -- and will likely watch. It also works for Jews (who don't celebrate Easter, per se). It's probably considered good business sense to show a popular and appropriate movie, during the holiday.

There are few Jesus films shown during Easter because, well, there are few Jesus films, and even fewer that are well known and have stood the test of time.

Personally, I really liked the claymation Jesus movie shown last year(?).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
There are few Jesus films shown during Easter because, well, there are few Jesus films
:laugh:...as opposed to the myriad films about Moses?
10 New Testament Easter-themed films:
Jesus of Nazareth
The Last Temptation of Christ
King of Kings
The Greatest Story Ever Told
Jesus (1999 mini-series)
Jesus Christ Superstar
Godspell
Ben-Hur (1959 and 1925)
The Robe
Regards,

Michael_V

Second Unit
Personally, I really liked the claymation Jesus movie shown last year(?).

- - - - -

You're probably thinking of "The Miracle Maker," which I also enjoyed. The DVD is actually quite good, too, in anamorphic widescreen with 5.1 sound and all.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Gosdpell would have been a neat change of pace, especially considering the background of NYC and the WTC.
On second thought, maybe the timing wouldn't have been appropriate...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You're probably thinking of "The Miracle Maker,"
Yes, that's it. The DVD is on my "buy when I have lots of spare money" list :)
I think Last Temptation of Christ is both misunderstood and underrated (by many Christians), and wouldn't mind seeing it on TV.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I put the DVD on at 8, and finished the movie just a few minutes after ABC. (Took me a minute to switch discs, though.) The picture on the DVD, besides being OAR, was so much better (color, brightness, sharpness) of course. Anne Baxter is a hoot.

Apparently the movie did well for ABC (it won the night overall), and it probably costs them nothing to put it on. I dunno why they don't show Ben Hur instead. It's a better movie overall, and actually a few minutes shorter. Maybe it's not as family-oriented? Or maybe it's the extreme cropping required to fit it on a 4:3 screen, which is why you rarely see it on TV ever.

Maybe next year I'll put on Prince of Egypt instead....

//Ken

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Why put anything that has religious implications on at all if they are worried about catering to everyone.

There is plenty of New Testament material that would've better the reflect Easter. But that would be to offensive, wouldn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks