Why has The Ten Commandments become synonamous with Easter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Paynter, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Without turning this into a relegious discussion, why does this film always show up on Easter Sunday? The two stories don't even share the same timeline!

If a more appropriate epic were to be chosen, it should be Ben-Hur (by strange coincidence, another Chuck Heston movie!)

2. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

mosses, and abc owns the rights and can do what ever they want

3. Keith Paynter

Sorry, but Moses is B.C., and Ben-Hur is A.D., and BH is "A Tale Of The Christ", and concludes with Judah Ben-Hur bearing witness to the Crucifixion.

PBS used to play BH on the Easter weekend, and even showed it in widescreen!

4. Philip Klein

Philip Klein Stunt Coordinator

they show it on Easter because it is also the same time of year as Jewish Passover. That's why Jesus was in Jerusalem, for Passover. You've seen the "passover" part in The Ten Commandments right? It's all part of Judeo-Christian religion.

5. Keith Paynter

Point taken...

6. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

ABC missed a good opportunity with TTC this year. They should have shown it in HD. Ironically, I watched it on DVD today.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    That's the first thing I thought..I should have gotten the DVD!

I'd like to see Paramount release the 1923 version sometime...But it seems like they're not that interested in their small collection of silent cinema.

8. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

"They show it on Easter because it is also the same time of year as Jewish Passover. That's why Jesus was in Jerusalem, for Passover."

- - - - -

That is correct but not comprehensive. According to Christian tradition, Yeshua was in Jerusalem not only to observe Passover but to fulfill it as the final and perfect sacrificial Passover Lamb. Hence John the Baptist's proclamation upon seeing Christ, "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world." Showing a movie commemorating the very first Passover, then, occuring just prior to the Exodus from Egypt, is very appropriate.

9. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Appropriate, yes, but more pictures focusing on the life of Jesus should be shown during Easter weekend. I've noticed not many stations do this anymore, not even on Christmas. Doesn't really matter, just an interesting yet sad observation of the increasingly secular society we live in. I have my Bible, regardless.

10. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

Yeah, they should show The Last Temptation of Christ on ABC every Easter! [​IMG]

11. Philip Klein

Philip Klein Stunt Coordinator

History channel showed Jesus of Nazereth Sunday

12. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

MuchMoreMusic showed Jesus Christ Superstar [​IMG] a whole bunch of times during the weekend. and always in WIDESCREEN!
    Bravo! also showed Ben Hur in widescreen this weekend.

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    As was said, the Christian tradition of Easter is remembrance of Jesus' sacrifice, which occurred during Passover, and in Christian theology, is the final Passover sacrifice (shedding of blood for atonement)

The Ten Commandments is the story of Moses and the escape of the Jewish slaves from Egypt; Passover is a remembrance of the the Jews being spared the 10th plague (first born being killed), which finally provided for their leaving Egypt.

Finally, The Ten Commandments is considered a classic film, which many people like -- and will likely watch. It also works for Jews (who don't celebrate Easter, per se). It's probably considered good business sense to show a popular and appropriate movie, during the holiday.

There are few Jesus films shown during Easter because, well, there are few Jesus films, and even fewer that are well known and have stood the test of time.

Personally, I really liked the claymation Jesus movie shown last year(?).

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

15. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

Personally, I really liked the claymation Jesus movie shown last year(?).

- - - - -

You're probably thinking of "The Miracle Maker," which I also enjoyed. The DVD is actually quite good, too, in anamorphic widescreen with 5.1 sound and all.

16. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Gosdpell would have been a neat change of pace, especially considering the background of NYC and the WTC.
    On second thought, maybe the timing wouldn't have been appropriate...

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

18. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I put the DVD on at 8, and finished the movie just a few minutes after ABC. (Took me a minute to switch discs, though.) The picture on the DVD, besides being OAR, was so much better (color, brightness, sharpness) of course. Anne Baxter is a hoot.

Apparently the movie did well for ABC (it won the night overall), and it probably costs them nothing to put it on. I dunno why they don't show Ben Hur instead. It's a better movie overall, and actually a few minutes shorter. Maybe it's not as family-oriented? Or maybe it's the extreme cropping required to fit it on a 4:3 screen, which is why you rarely see it on TV ever.

Maybe next year I'll put on Prince of Egypt instead....

//Ken

19. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Why put anything that has religious implications on at all if they are worried about catering to everyone.

There is plenty of New Testament material that would've better the reflect Easter. But that would be to offensive, wouldn't it?