What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Why do people think video games are a waste of time? (2 Viewers)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I've complained about a similar thing here, except it's about people not showing up for an online gaming meet...so it's kind of from the opposite side.

Sometimes you need a group of 4 (say), and if you don't have 4 people, you get "randoms", which is what you're trying to avoid and is the whole point of arranging the meet-up in the first place. Normally, people would let you know if they're not going to show up, give you some advance warning if possible. Even when meeting online, it's still real people with real lives with real other stuff they could "schedule" instead. The online meet-up is as real as any other meet-up as far as the people involved are concerned, and yet even those people sometimes treat it as "different" the way they behave. So I'm not letting gamers themselves off the hook, not at all. Peer pressure needs to be applied, and you know how reserved gamers tend to be about doing that! :)

This is not just online games.

This has happened so many times in my offline gaming groups. It seems like most of my weekly gaming groups (which played rpg games, boardgames, etc ...) ended up falling apart when players starting flaking out and not showing up at all.

I usually don't ask or demand explanations (or excuses) from players which don't show up. If and when the group falls apart, it's time to move on and find another regular gaming group.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Bob's point that people would have a very different view of games if you were to replace them with books. They're just as immersive, they close you off to the world, they involve sitting still for long periods of time, but books are considered good while games are bad. It's a cultural/generational thing.
There are many many books that enable one to learn science, math, culture, art, history, geography, philosophy, a specific skill beyond the reading of the book itself, etc. Reading helps nurture the ability to express oneself. I very much doubt that video games do those things.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
There are many many books that enable one to learn science, math, culture, art, history, geography, philosophy, a specific skill beyond the reading of the book itself, etc. Reading helps nurture the ability to express oneself. I very much doubt that video games do those things.

Playing the MASS EFFECT trilogy was incredibly eyeopening to me in regards to gender roles and my own ideas about them. Playing some dopey stunt driving PC game in the late 80's helped me immensely with video editing later. We don't know yet if MINECRAFT will follow Mechano and Lego with shaping the design of the real world.

So I'll politely disagree with you.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I have been hearing this for years, and every time I hear it makes me feel rather low considering it is one of my main hobbies.

Why? Unless the person saying it is someone who knows and cares about you, their opinions are largely unimportant.

Personally, whenever someone makes a statement that assumes their particular tastes or preferences are inherently superior to mine I immediately stop listening. It's fine to say "I wouldn't waste my time on video games," [or whatever] as that expresses a personal preference. Often though, even in that case the person making the statement has never actually given "whatever" a fair shake before passing judgement.

While not a gamer myself, I say, if it gives you joy and you're not hurting anyone else then play on!!!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member

This is a false comparison. Videogames are more than capable of teaching people about subjects through interaction. Just because the most popular ones (like, say, Fortnite) aren't doing that does not mean it doesn't happen.

How many people that read books are going for calculus books? How many are reading Stephen Hawking? Conversely, how many copies did Twilight sell? What's the educational value in the Game of Thrones books? Where does one learn about expressing themselves by reading Fifty Shades of Grey?

I'm not trying to crap on books as an art form, but rather point out that there's a variety of genres represented, so presenting "books" as purely educational and aspirational is both false and misleading, since...let's be honest...the biggest sellers are not the most enlightening.

The Assassin's Creed game from 2 years ago got an extra mode that let you explore ancient Egypt and learn about it. Multiple games have included accurate references to history or recent current events as part of their stories. Games like This War of Mine try to expose players to experiences they would never have, like being caught in the middle of a war. The Witness is based around the concept of epiphany and is so engrossing that it literally changes the way people see the real world (which is something that a book can literally never do because of the visual and interactive nature of the game).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Why? Unless the person saying it is someone who knows and cares about you, their opinions are largely unimportant.

Personally, whenever someone makes a statement that assumes their particular tastes or preferences are inherently superior to mine I immediately stop listening. It's fine to say "I wouldn't waste my time on video games," [or whatever] as that expresses a personal preference. Often though, even in that case the person making the statement has never actually given "whatever" a fair shake before passing judgement.

While not a gamer myself, I say, if it gives you joy and you're not hurting anyone else then play on!!!

This is what I would have thought when I was younger.

Nowadays with a caveat, I would still think the same thing IF I was not dependent or beholden to other people who I want/need something out of (who may frown upon video games). In social circles where I'm not dependent/beholden to anyone in these circles, I would probably not give a damn what they think about video games.

Though in social circles where I might be dependent on somebody for something, I may want to keep a video games hobby to myself and not say anything about it. For example if I was an entrepreneur looking to get startup funding or a bank loan for a new business, I would not mention anything about a video game hobby to anyone. Even in social cicles not related to startup funding or banking. (ie. Gossip gets around even between unrelated social circles).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
How many people that read books are going for calculus books?

(This may be a silly offtopic answer).

If you're talking about freshman calculus, there tons of students enrolled which take a mandatory calculus course (ie. people majoring in engineering, science, economics, etc ...).

On the other hand if you're talking about an "advanced" calculus course where it is mostly theorems being proven in detail (usually taken by pure math majors), then there's not many students. If you're lucky, it might be a class of 20-30 students at a place like Harvard.

In either case, each one of these students will usually buy the assigned textbook. (They will be different ones obviously).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Well in my case, these are co-workers, acquaintances, and family members. Some of these people that I respect look on video games as "dumb" entertainment. Some are extremely opposed to video games.

In these conversations one of my co-workers even said "people that play video games must enjoy being mindless for long periods of time".

My old boss-"another low IQ video game player"

Imagine if you loved gaming, and you constantly heard from people you know and generally like how it is a waste of time, dumb, stupid, mindless etc. I do not care if the people like or dislike it, that is fine with me, but to vocally bash it into the realm of equating a gamer with a caveman(which I have also heard) or people with low intelligence, that is extremely insensitive, rude, and wrong.

Maybe that would all change if they knew I am a gamer (well, my brother knows but he doesn't care he still bashes them) but just because they aren't saying it, doesn't mean they're not thinking it.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Well in my case, these are co-workers, acquaintances, and family members. Some of these people that I respect look on video games as "dumb" entertainment. Some are extremely opposed to video games.

In these conversations one of my co-workers even said "people that play video games must enjoy being mindless for long periods of time".

My old boss-"another low IQ video game player"

Imagine if you loved gaming, and you constantly heard from people you know and generally like how it is a waste of time, dumb, stupid, mindless etc. I do not care if the people like or dislike it, that is fine with me, but to vocally bash it into the realm of equating a gamer with a caveman(which I have also heard) or people with low intelligence, that is extremely insensitive, rude, and wrong.

Maybe that would all change if they knew I am a gamer (well, my brother knows but he doesn't care he still bashes them) but just because they aren't saying it, doesn't mean they're not thinking it.

I've been in scenarios like this in the past. I turn the tables and use the revelations for my own use.

I always put aside my ego, and use the opportunity to do "intelligence gathering" (in a "spy" sense) on my peers/colleagues.

People are more likely to speak their minds, when they don't know that they are "offending" you. With enough accumulated evidence, it provides a lot of insight in a particular person's character. (Also provides some information which can be used for "blackmail" purposes in the future).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
@Bryan^H

If your ego is as huge as mine (or bigger), then I understand it is extremely difficult to put aside one's ego and go into a "covert" mode. It took me a very very long time to be able to do this.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I've been in scenarios like this in the past. I turn the tables and use the revelations for my own use.

I always put aside my ego, and use the opportunity to do "intelligence gathering" (in a "spy" sense) on my peers/colleagues.

People are more likely to speak their minds, when they don't know that they are "offending" you. With enough accumulated evidence, it provides a lot of insight in a particular person's character. (Also provides some information which can be used for "blackmail" purposes in the future).
Lol: yeah, blackmail isn't my thing:lol:
I would have spoken up long ago, had I not all this "game shame".
Like I said in an earlier post, I don't want the people to think less of me for playing video games at 45 years of age....that is the main reason I have been silent, but that will change soon.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Lol: yeah, blackmail isn't my thing:lol:
I would have spoken up long ago, had I not all this "game shame".
Like I said in an earlier post, I don't want the people to think less of me for playing video games at 45 years of age....that is the main reason I have been silent, but that will change soon.
You sound stuck in, for lack of better words, backwards area. Whether it’s my high-school only, warehouse working relative to my PhD scientist friends to fast rising senior VP exec, people are into gaming, video and board. It’s not an educational thing or a political thing.

To have found yourself in the pocket of people who are so limited in life experience, and so narrow minded as to have no passing experience or interest in gaming, is pretty impressive, in a depressing way.

If you can, I say it’s nigh time to start looking to develop and discover new social groups in your area. Maybe even new professional groups, though I understand that’s easy to say but a huge deal to go after. But I don’t know if you’re near a city where there a lots of gaming groups, or the country where you’ve got the society you’ve got and that’s it.

Good luck trying to educate your ignorant colleagues and family, and hope to can find other gamers local to hang with!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Good luck trying to educate your ignorant colleagues and family, and hope to can find other gamers local to hang with!

In practice, I've always found that "educating" other ignorant (or outright stupid) people is largely an exercise in futility. Especially when such ignoramuses are over age 25 or so.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Luckily my two good friends are gamers, I brought it up to one of them "Do you have this experience" he replied "no, not at all". Go figure.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
(This may be a silly offtopic answer).

If you're talking about freshman calculus, there tons of students enrolled which take a mandatory calculus course (ie. people majoring in engineering, science, economics, etc ...).

On the other hand if you're talking about an "advanced" calculus course where it is mostly theorems being proven in detail (usually taken by pure math majors), then there's not many students. If you're lucky, it might be a class of 20-30 students at a place like Harvard.

In either case, each one of these students will usually buy the assigned textbook. (They will be different ones obviously).
You may have missed my point that this was a false comparison. Nobody is playing videogames as assigned works in the same way as a calculus textbook for a class at school, so it's not worth debating this particular point too deeply. When people go to a bookstore because they want to buy a book, are they buying calculus books? Maybe some are, but generally...they're not. Instead, they buy Harry Potter. Which is fine! It's entertainment. Just because some people buy strictly-educational non-fiction books doesn't mean it's fair to denounce ALL VIDEOGAMES for the lack of, say, the Calculus Game or Presidential History Game.

Videogames essentially fall into a similar category and should be considered as such, for the most part. However, as I pointed out, there are absolutely educational opportunities that can come from videogames. I remember playing math games as a kid in elementary school and there are tons of educational iPad games for little kids today. Sure, Call of Duty sells millions of copies without aiming to teach a single thing, but I'm also not sure what the educational value in a 4 hour football game or a 500-lap Nascar race is supposed to be, either, even if they do offer opportunities for people to learn something while enjoying them.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I really do empathize with that. Replace "gaming" with "collecting physical media" or even "watching old movies" and that could be the story of my life.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I really do empathize with that. Replace "gaming" with "collecting physical media" or even "watching old movies" and that could be the story of my life.

Or even watching classic television (the way my autistic mind works, whenever a televangelist preaches that television is ruining America, my mind takes it as being not just the increasingly sexual or violent things of today, but practically any television at all, including classic)!

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper

You have died of dysentery,

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Though in social circles where I might be dependent on somebody for something, I may want to keep a video games hobby to myself and not say anything about it. For example if I was an entrepreneur looking to get startup funding or a bank loan for a new business, I would not mention anything about a video game hobby to anyone. Even in social cicles not related to startup funding or banking. (ie. Gossip gets around even between unrelated social circles).

I'm not sure I'm understanding your logic here. i wouldn't mention any of my hobbies in a business setting unless specifically asked. In your specific example, I doubt anyone so narrow-minded as to judge someone based on a single [and benign] subset of their personal life would be successful enough to offer the funding in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks