What's new

Who are we kidding? The POLLS area is no more, it's now the TOURNAMENT area! (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Rain: I hear a lot of comments. And since I am required to plod through that forum daily, I must tell you that I experience a glazed-eye effect when I see tourney this and tourney that. You are correct to note that some meaningful conversation takes place in those things--but my impression is that there's not much of it. In effect, we now have two "playground" forums at HTF. "Tourneys/Polls" remains open simply because enough of you so clearly want it, and it is harmless fun. But some newcomers are a bit bewildered by what they see in that forum. Honestly, if I didn't "have to" I would never bother even going into that forum. Just my opinion. JB

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
And since I am required to plod through that forum daily, I must tell you that I experience a glazed-eye effect when I see tourney this and tourney that.
I assume that, as an Admin, you are required to skim through the actual threads, no? Every other member has the option of not even opening a thread that has the word "tournament" in the title.
If the Polls Area is too much work for 3 Admins, why don't you guys appoint another to that area? Then again, how much "moderating" is really required in that area? It's not like things get out of hand very often over there.
I can't speak for everyone, but some of us put a great deal of effort into those tournament threads. Why? Because they are fun and because they allow us an oppotunity to share opinions about various aspects of film.
However, we are now sitting in a position where we don't know what's going to happen with those threads. It's obvious that there is some anti-tournament sentiment around here and it's an issue that won't seem to go away. I would hate to come in one morning to find a lock on my Cinematography Tournament thread (for example), but I don't know that isn't going to happen.
:)

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
It looks to me that the only way to find out the majority preference would be to have a poll. Now isn't that a funny irony.:)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hey, Rain: Please don't get the impression that the tourneys are going to be done away with. Nothing like that is even being considered. All we're considering is changing the name of the forum itself to reflect the reality of its contents. You weren't here back then, but the "Polls" section was originally set up because people got tired of seeing so many polls in the "Software" section at that time. I'm not saying I'm a fan of routine polls either. Sometimes they're useful, but most of the time they're silly.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
All this discussion makes it seem like a really big deal to form another subdivision. Why not just separate them? It wouldn't take much work, and it would make things easier to find. Yet another separate section = big deal.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All this discussion makes it seem like a really big deal to form another subdivision. Why not just separate them? It wouldn't take much work, and it would make things easier to find. Yet another separate section = big deal
That's not going to happen, so there isn't any need to discuss that possibility any further.

Crawdaddy

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'd be very interested in hearing the answer to that one myself. :)
Rain, I don't "hate" tourneys, so I can't really answer the question.
But I don't understand them. I'm not particularly stupid, I don't think. But the concept of how to participate doesn't quite sink in for me, no matter how many times I've located and read the "FAQ". :)
I guess I'm not interested enough to invest the time in understanding them enough to participate. Whereas the polls require no real thought to participate in; it's as much thought - or lack of thought - as you feel like at the moment.
Therefore, I have indeed found myself avoiding the Polls section for the past while, where I used to visit there regularly. Ah, well...it gives me time to visit HTF Feedback! ;)
I've carefully reread this, and I think I've provided a non-opposed-to-tourney's viewpoint that simply explains what it is that some may have "against" them (and I use the word "against" very loosely here). I don't feel that it either gives or takes away anything from the HTF. I personally feel like it would be a wise thing to split off polls and tourneys into separate sections, but so many moderators indicate it won't happen, and it really just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, so I won't lose any sleep over it myself.
It's all good. Let everyone enjoy the place and feel "neighborly" toward each other. S'cool!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I second much of what David said, I don't hate the tourneys either, hate is too strong a word, I simply don't want to see them in the polls area. I want the polls area to be as it was (sniff sniff), but it doesn't look like its ever going to happen, oh well, I barely visit polls now anyway.

The reason normal polls are few and far between is because members stay away from that area, IMO.

Tourneys are NOT polls the way I understand polls, the game is just too randomised and personalised to be a real poll.

We can put it to a forum vote, giving the tourneys their own area, but it wont make the slightest difference because as was posted earlier, no new areas will be created.

No I won't lose sleep over this either.

Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks