What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Nevada Smith -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
You forgot my personal favorite, Joanna Moore (Tatum O'Neal's mum). Only one scene and uncredited but but when think of NS, she's the first one that comes to mind.
It’s strange that Joanna Moore was not credited considering she had a career and was in some high profile films, as well as TV shows.
Janet Margolin and Suzanne Pleshette!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Missing in action is one of my very favorite films that I saw upon its 1970 release from The same team and writers Joseph E Levine/Harold Robbins). It's called The Adventurers. Few saw it or I should say experienced it. I love everything about it. Lewis Gilbert got his R rated James Bond film out of his system with this film and the film is as well made and tailored as On Her Majestys Secret Service. It is available on DVD only, and beware one version is cut to ribbons and there is a widescreen version uncut, but still not fully from when I originally saw it. It is an international globe hopping, star studded and almost three hours film and for me of when directors and studios had a set. Gilbert in later life pissed on the film because it didn't do well. It is an amazing film and would love to see someone get this off the ground on blu ray. The movie poster and trailer did not lie. "Nothing has been left out of The Adventurers!"
It is available on ITunes and Vudu in HD widescreen and runs 177 minutes. 6 minutes longer than what IMDB lists the running time of longest version.

Last edited:

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
It is available on ITunes and Vudu in HD widescreen and runs 177 minutes. 6 minutes longer than what IMDB lists the running time of longest version.
I know Ken, a friend purchased it. Luckily I have a friend that has the Tech 35mm/Magnetic stereo print that we run every so often. Do you like the film?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Missing in action is one of my very favorite films that I saw upon its 1970 release from The same team and writers Joseph E Levine/Harold Robbins). It's called The Adventurers. Few saw it or I should say experienced it. I love everything about it. Lewis Gilbert got his R rated James Bond film out of his system with this film and the film is as well made and tailored as On Her Majestys Secret Service. It is available on DVD only, and beware one version is cut to ribbons and there is a widescreen version uncut, but still not fully from when I originally saw it. It is an international globe hopping, star studded and almost three hours film and for me of when directors and studios had a set. Gilbert in later life pissed on the film because it didn't do well. It is an amazing film and would love to see someone get this off the ground on blu ray. The movie poster and trailer did not lie. "Nothing has been left out of The Adventurers!"
It is available on ITunes
I know Ken, a friend purchased it. Luckily I have a friend that has the Tech 35mm/Magnetic stereo print that we run every so often. Do you like the film?
Yes absolutely. I saw it many times when it was first released. Jobim's score must sound great in stereo! A thinly veiled film about Dominican playboy Porfirio Rubiroso.
A Rubirosa. A type of pepper mill was named after him in Paris. ;-)
Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett

Yes absolutely. I saw it many times when it was first released. Jobim's score must sound great in stereo! A thinly veiled film about Dominican playboy Porfirio Rubiroso.
A Rubirosa. A type of pepper mill was named after him in Paris. ;-) View attachment 191702
I know Henry Mancini was a fan of the love theme and did his own rendition of it on one of his albums.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero

A Rubirosa. A type of pepper mill was named after him in Paris. ;-) View attachment 191702
Rubirosa was known for carrying his pepper mill with him.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I agree with Mr Harris' assessment of the movie. I have the DVD and rewatched it a couple of years ago. I will not purchase the Blu-ray.

jan goorsky

Agent
Great trashy films that are very watchable besides The Carpetbaggers- Madame X, Portrait in Black, Imitation of Life, Once is Not Enough, The Love Machine, The Adventurers- Basically anything written by Robbins and Susann. And the piece de resistance- The Other Side of Midnight- The ice cube scene was worth the price of admission

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I love the Other Side of Midnight, right along with 67's Valley Of The Dolls. I only have the soundtrack album for The Love Machine, saw the film theatrically when it opened and quickly died and love the title song by Dionne Warwick "He's movin' On". Artie Butler did the score and there never was a CD issued for it. I'd put Doctor's Wives and Such Good Friends on this list also.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Great trashy films that are very watchable besides The Carpetbaggers- Madame X, Portrait in Black, Imitation of Life, Once is Not Enough, The Love Machine, The Adventurers- Basically anything written by Robbins and Susann. And the piece de resistance- The Other Side of Midnight- The ice cube scene was worth the price of admission
I take issue with putting Imitation of Life in the trashy category. It's certainly high melodrama at times but not trashy. In fact, it's one of the most searing indictments of American morality committed to film. It's a serious work of art. Crap by Harold Robbins etc. is definitely trashy.
“Few Hollywood films are about as much or deliver their messages so entertainingly. Imitation of Life is the apotheosis of melodrama, but it’s also a guide to life (i.e, don’t do what they do) and one of cinema’s most extraordinary portraits of the impacts of racism.”

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
I read some reviews from the time that note the film was shorn of sex and violence after previews.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I read some reviews from the time that note the film was shorn of sex and violence after previews.
I saw The Adventurers the week it opened in a Cinerama theater in Atlanta Georgia. I saw it again several weeks later in NJ and it was "slightly" edited. The intermission was present on both prints and a friend of mine has a magnetic stereo print that resembles what I saw in NJ the 2nd time around. There is a dvd that is both uncut, the 2nd version I saw in NJ and a PG (are you kidding) truncated mess available. Both boxes will say it is widescreen but you will not know what are you getting until you view the the dvd. I ordered 4 copies for 9099 when they came out and all are the R cut of the film. The same goes for McKenna's Gold. Box will say widescreen and it is flat and of course cut.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Speaking of running times, there are several references to be found that this film had a original running time approximately 10 minutes longer than the one generally released to the theaters in 1966 when I first saw it (139 minutes as opposed to around 130). Was this a possibly preview version, and what scenes were excised and why? Just to pare the running time? I’ve never heard that this footage still exists, and is presumably lost.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speaking of running times, there are several references to be found that this film had a original running time approximately 10 minutes longer than the one generally released to the theaters in 1966 when I first saw it (139 minutes as opposed to around 130). Was this a possibly preview version, and what scenes were excised and why? Just to pare the running time? I’ve never heard that this footage still exists, and is presumably lost.
AFI has listed the 139 minutes version as the copyright length.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Yes, I’ve seen more than one reference about that, but the newly released remastered Blu-ray is 130 minutes, as was the DVD. Has the version with the additional footage ever been screened, because I don’t think these releases differ from the version I saw in 1966? Could it have been a preview cut that was then revised for general release?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks