What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Nevada Smith -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Harold Robbins' The Carpetbaggers was basically a very popular 1961 trash. Think beach reading, and if you get suntan lotion on it, who cares.

Occurring in the 1930s it glides neatly around people like Jean Harlow and Howard Hughes, allowing them new identities. You can probably pick out a few more.

It was made into a popular film, produced by Joseph E. Levine and directed by Edward Dmytryk in 1963, which was in many ways also popular trash. Only difference is that one really wouldn't want to get suntan lotion on it as it might make the dyes run on the print.

That's not to say that the film didn't have A talent across the board. It did. It's just that much of that talent was wasted.

A couple of years later Henry Hathaway was brought in to direct a prequel - possibly this is where the idea came from for the Star Wars and Star Trek films. John Michael Hayes (who did better work for Mr. Hitchcock) was brought back to create the back story.

This time, Nevada Smith the Younger was played by Steve McQueen, hot off several terrific films, to create the younger persona of Alan Ladd.

And this time was not the charm.

Another clinker of a film, but still worth watching. Beautifully shot by Lucien Ballard, it runs a non-economical 130 minutes.

Does Kino's new Blu-ray, based upon Paramount's scans and post work look okay?

Far better. It's a beautiful Blu-ray, seemingly untainted by any digital machinations.

Just wish the film was better.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 5

Upgrade from DVD and previous Blu-rays - Yes!

Slipcover rating - 1

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I have always loved Nevada Smith since I first saw it at the Wayne Theater in NJ. Still a fan, wanted to marry Suzanne Pleshette (next to Camilla Sparv) and commented in an earlier thread the disc restoration is a gem. I expect a 4 K in the future because I feel the title will be very popular. Also remember seeing The Carpetbaggers when it came out and yes it is wonderful expensive trash and will take tis any day over 90% of current films being released.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I appreciate your honest assessment of Nevada Smith, Mr. Harris. While I don't think it's as bad as you do (and yes, I will buy it), but I agree. It's just not a very good movie. I actually prefer the film of The Carpetbaggers! Yes, it is trash but in its own lurid and trashy way, it's so much more fun than NS! And that cast! (Peppard, Ladd, Baker, Cummings, Hyer, Ayres, Totter, Balsam etc.).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I appreciate your honest assessment of Nevada Smith, Mr. Harris. While I don't think it's as bad as you do (and yes, I will buy it), but I agree. It's just not a very good movie. I actually prefer the film of The Carpetbaggers! Yes, it is trash but in its own lurid and trashy way, it's so much more fun than NS! And that cast! (Peppard, Ladd, Baker, Cummings, Hyer, Ayres, Totter, Balsam etc.).
And, Nevada Smith's cast McQueen, Malden, Kennedy, Landau, Pleshette, Da Silva, Hingle, Vallone etc.

Denham

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Was planning to pick this up, so I'm glad to hear it's one of the "good" ones (master-wise) that Paramount handed off.

I've only seen it (in full) once or twice, but my impression was that it was a prime example of something being less than the sum of it's parts. Some of those parts are enticing enough to make me want to take the trip again- but yeah, it was a net disappointment for me, given the talent involved on both sides of the camera.
And too long for it's own good.

But as I get older I try to cultivate a more positive outlook. Maybe magic will happen and the next viewing will be just the tonic for that particular night. You never know.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, I'm not a fan of the film. I didn't see it at the time in the cinema, only a few times on TV, & it didn't work for me at all...& the leading man is too old for the part (pretty much de rigueur for a Hollywood film). I quite like The Carpetbaggers, good trashy fun. But if I were a fan of this film, this would be the perfect review, picture & sound 5 out of 5.

Back in the late fifties, early sixties, Harold Robbins must have been one of the best known novelists in the world (a big favourite with my mum), bookshops were full of his paperbacks - now he's almost forgotten.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Good movie that needed a better script to be great. I'm a fan of McQueen work so I am bias about this film. The main issue I have with it is the entire middle section is too long for its own good. From entering the swamps to the encounter with Raf vallone, it all is a bit too dragged out. Mcqueen did a another Robbins adaption nearly 10 years earlier called " Never love a stranger ". Somebody should seriously remake it. Amazing novel.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Missing in action is one of my very favorite films that I saw upon its 1970 release from The same team and writers Joseph E Levine/Harold Robbins). It's called The Adventurers. Few saw it or I should say experienced it. I love everything about it. Lewis Gilbert got his R rated James Bond film out of his system with this film and the film is as well made and tailored as On Her Majestys Secret Service. It is available on DVD only, and beware one version is cut to ribbons and there is a widescreen version uncut, but still not fully from when I originally saw it. It is an international globe hopping, star studded and almost three hours film and for me of when directors and studios had a set. Gilbert in later life pissed on the film because it didn't do well. It is an amazing film and would love to see someone get this off the ground on blu ray. The movie poster and trailer did not lie. "Nothing has been left out of The Adventurers!"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks