What's new

Who are we kidding? The POLLS area is no more, it's now the TOURNAMENT area! (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Don't get me wrong, I like tournies, but it's just a pain to wade through all of the tournaments in that area to get to a straight poll about something. I know this has been mentioned before, but wouldn't it be better to create an area just for tournaments? Like a HTF 'GAMES' area perhaps?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John,

We've been discussing this issue but the chances of creating a new area just for tournaments is slim to none. The reasons you don't see more polls is because members are not creating nor participating in them. Most likely, we will be renaming the area "Polls and Tournaments" or some silmilar variation of that title.

Crawdaddy

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
First off, let me say that I actively participate in the tourneys. I like them very much. They add a "fun" element to an already superb forum. It's also nice to see which members enjoy certain movies over others. A neat way to see who you have things in common with.

I(and just my opinion here) think that the reason many members don't participate in more "polls" is because of the tourneys. I see a lot of negative reactions to the tournaments. And if you don't like them, or just choose not to participate, then they often will not visit the polls section as much. Thereby missing out on the polls that do get posted there. I know if, say the movies section was mostly dominated by threads on movies I didn't care for, I wouldn't visit as often. And with the constant replies in the tourneys, it is easy for a poll to get lost.

I'm not lobbying for or against a new section, just offering my opinion on the lack of participation in the "actual polls." I don't think it's totally a lack of interest.

Thanks

brian

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I think the reason more people don't participate in "polls" is because they are tired of answering the same half dozen questions over and over and over again.

The tourneys are simply a creative way of doing a poll and at the same time encouraging discussion and a sharing of ideas. Isn't that what HTF is all about?

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
I think the reason more people don't participate in "polls" is because they are tired of answering the same half dozen questions over and over and over again.
Or they are like me and quit visiting the Polls area when it turned into a bunch of tourney's. Until today, I can't remember the last time I looked in the Polls section. I don't mind what goes on in there. I don't have to look in there anymore. :)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well, maybe we should just lock up all the tourneys and go back to being asked "How many DVDs do you own?" every month or so. After all, that's a great way to inflate your post count without having to put much thought into anything.
In case you can't tell, yes, I'm being sarcastic. :D ;) :laugh:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I really don't think it's as bad as all that. There ARE polls in the Polls Forum. It's just that good ones are few and far between. Most are either innocuous or have limited appeal. :)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Come on guys, lets not fret over this, its ok, the area will be renamed 'TOURNAMENTS and polls Area', so it should be alright.;)
Oh I remember the good ol' days when polls ruled the erm 'polls area' [member wipes tear), now looking for a poll in a sea of tourneys is like trying to find a needle in a haystack, yes there are about 30-40 members that are addicted to these tourneys and a few probably spend their entire day on these things, nothing wrong with that. But it HAS disrupted the polls area for many members that don't participate in tourneys and want things to return to how they were, they have a right to be heard too.
My friendly suggestion is to have a movie games room, not just for tourneys but for film quizzes, film association and so on.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Don't you think that might encourage some of the post-padders among us, though?

At any rate, people are still getting used to the current forum subdivisions, so the chances of a new forum are nil. Look for a renamed "Polls" section soon.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I have to pipe in again. I just have to. :)
To those of you who aren't interested in the tournments, that's your choice, but do you guys really think it's reasonable to ask the already overworked HTF staff to relegate those threads to a separate area?
Ok, so you have to look through the threads in Polls to see which ones you are actually interested in, but that's true of every other area on the HTF.
I'm not interested in 99% of the threads in Software and I usually have to wade through 3 pages of new stuff every morning to find the few that are interesting.
Would it be reasonable for me to ask the HTF staff to designate a new area for all threads that I'm not interested in? I don't think so.
The "tournament" threads are pretty easy to pick out. I haven't seen any that didn't contain the word "tournament" in the thread title.
I'm not trying to be difficult or argumentative. I'm just politely suggesting that we try to be reasonable.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
A more serious suggestion:
Polling/Voting/Trivia Area

Ike

Screenwriter
Yep, Cees. They are just organized polls.

Will the genuine polling code (like Parker's Oscar polls) be made for the members? I could see that kicking some life back into un-organized polls.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Um can someone just tell me what the difference is between a poll and a tourney...And also why some hate tourneys so much?

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks