What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
From the start they've been stating publicly that they're partnering with Arrow Video. You'd think if something was fishy Arrow would have spoken up by now.
I don't think it's fishy. I think they'll ultimately deliver but reading this latest, it's certainly not getting here for the holidays.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
From the start they've been stating publicly that they're partnering with Arrow Video. You'd think if something was fishy Arrow would have spoken up by now.
You'd think that if they're partnered with Arrow, a company that has PLENTY of expertise publishing physical releases, they wouldn't be making such a big mess of this. Seems to me that Arrow's involvement isn't helping a whole lot.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I don't think it's fishy. I think they'll ultimately deliver but reading this latest, it's certainly not getting here for the holidays.
They should call every place to see if some company can help them maybe a firm will jump in to help them

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
The section in Ignite's email that bothered me was "The test disc must be approved and then it's back into the queue again"
The test disc "queue" would have no relation to the production line or even involve the same staff or equipment. Checking a test discs can be a one day affair if it's good, and a phoned in 'OK' would start the production run.
A more creative excuse would be that the test disc had multiple flaws needing correction (maybe that will be next).
I don't get the feeling Ignite or Arrow (who is completely silent) has even seen a "test disc".
Even in a crowded queue experiencing supply issues, manufacturers know their capacity and have to be able to give revised estimates that account for the delays. If they didn't...they would be out of business!
I saw the digital file at the TCM event last spring so any 4K footage shown has existed since then. There still is no information supporting the creation of actual discs.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The section in Ignite's email that bothered me was "The test disc must be approved and then it's back into the queue again"
The test disc "queue" would have no relation to the production line or even involve the same staff or equipment. Checking a test discs can be a one day affair if it's good, and a phoned in 'OK' would start the production run.
A more creative excuse would be that the test disc had multiple flaws needing correction (maybe that will be next).
I don't get the feeling Ignite or Arrow (who is completely silent) has even seen a "test disc".
Even in a crowded queue experiencing supply issues, manufacturers know their capacity and have to be able to give revised estimates that account for the delays. If they didn't...they would be out of business!
I saw the digital file at the TCM event last spring so any 4K footage shown has existed since then. There still is no information supporting the creation of actual discs.
Gets stranger and stranger back in the end ofJuly VCI told me they had their test disc on RAIN and the disc was going to be replicated for Sept 9 2022 - then they emailed me that MVD had a delay for 2 weeks - well the disc arrived and was shipping early Sept so 2 months! Ignite needs to jump get on the phone non stop - see if anywhere else can do a turn around before the holidays work the phones 24/7 for the customers

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Another alternative that would buy them some customer good will: Make the digital file they're allowing reviewers to see available to every single person who bought the Blu-ray/4K.
SPOT ON!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Since Arrow is partnered in this release, wouldn't it be nice if they said something, too?

That’s what I was trying to get at in an earlier post - do they even have an actual partnership with Arrow or did they announce that before a deal had been finalized?

I think whatever else happens from here, one thing seems very clear to me - they were not in a position to be taking money from customers at the time they did.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That’s what I was trying to get at in an earlier post - do they even have an actual partnership with Arrow or did they announce that before a deal had been finalized?

I think whatever else happens from here, one thing seems very clear to me - they were not in a position to be taking money from customers at the time they did.
feel bad for them - this could ruin them unless they try to move fast like someone said let the people who pd see the file they mention ==

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
You'd think that if they're partnered with Arrow, a company that has PLENTY of expertise publishing physical releases, they wouldn't be making such a big mess of this. Seems to me that Arrow's involvement isn't helping a whole lot.
it's really out of Arrows hands, their job in the is project is distribution and promotion, not production.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
feel bad for them - this could ruin them unless they try to move fast like someone said let the people who pd see the file they mention ==
Agreed, seeing the issues explained in thier last update, they need to pivot and try and save what credibility they still have and try and shore up thier customer realations momentum with that "private link". Sharing it only with those that have already ponied up thier pre-order $$$$ money for this release.
At this point it seems the pressuer cooker is of full blast, and it's in thier hands. They need to do something to releave this pressure or issues or no it may blowbackin thier faces.

This is not laying blame, but I'm seeing a real lack of readiness and awareness in thier part to roll with the punches. That is the real definition of a great company. Yes they "coulda shoulda woulda"...Help me to help you...be the CS you need to be!! Drop your paying customers the love link!!!

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
it's really out of Arrows hands, their job in the is project is distribution and promotion, not production.
I would think that mentoring a new partner company through its first release is something they'd be doing as well. After all, Arrow has a financial stake in this, and the current situation isn't helping THEIR bottom line at all.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I would think that mentoring a new partner company through its first release is something they'd be doing as well. After all, Arrow has a financial stake in this, and the current situation isn't helping THEIR bottom line at all.
Ignite is not a rookie outfit, according to thier bio. They should a somewhat aware of the way things work in their industry, I just think that it was the "perfect storm" that hit them and everyone else in the movie industry.

"Ignite Films began acquiring classic film properties in the 1990s and this has built a collection of more than 80 features. Using original film elements, Ignite continues to restore and upgrade its collection for posterity and appreciation by generations of cinephiles and movie lovers, old and new. Numerous celebrated and award-winning actors, directors and cinematographers continue to live on in our films. Examples range from the ill-fated romance of Letter from an Unknown Woman, (1948, Director Max Ophüls) to the chilling representation of American crime syndicates in the film noirs Force of Evil (starring John Garfield) and Joseph H. Lewis’ The Big Combo to the epitome of theatrical story-telling in Orson Welles’ Macbeth and Otto Premingers’ Saint Joan (starring Jean Seberg) - all representative of some of Hollywood’s finest contributors.

Iconic genre actors like Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing (Horror Express), British punk era zombies in Don Sharp’s stylized 1970s cult film Psychomania, suave frontier men like Randolph Scott (Canadian Pacific), Joel McCrea (Four Faces West) and John Wayne, resolute war heroes like Robert Mitchum (The Story of G.I. Joe) or Kirk Douglas (The Heroes of Telemark) - and the equally mesmerizing women, pitched against incredible odds - like Ingrid Bergman in Lewis Milestone’s Arch of Triumph, Anne Bancroft in Allan Dwan’s The Restless Breed or the still living legend Kim Novak opposite Frank Sinatra’s addicted character in The Man with the Golden Arm - all immortalized across decades of enduring films."

My takeaway is the LACK of action and thier Lack of understanding or awarness to thier paying customers. So I'm not sure if the is their first rodeo into an actual formated release or not, but they sure are acting like it is...that sure is one way to learn, and I patiently hope that they do LEARN and improve. Because right now, the bar is hitting pretty low!!

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think this is definitely their first rodeo. The information above only talks about "acquiring classic film properties" and "Ignite continues to restore and upgrade its collection" with no mention at all of disc releases. If you Google them, the only release that comes up in the search is Invaders from Mars.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
That's part of the problem, though. I haven't heard of similar situations from any other labels. Other companies' releases seem to be getting through. It's Ignite that has bungled something here, badly.
Something Surely Happened, I'm just trying to look at the Bright side of the Pickel :D

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Ignite is not a rookie outfit, according to thier bio. They should a somewhat aware of the way things work in their industry, I just think that it was the "perfect storm" that hit them and everyone else in the movie industry.

"Ignite Films began acquiring classic film properties in the 1990s and this has built a collection of more than 80 features. Using original film elements, Ignite continues to restore and upgrade its collection for posterity and appreciation by generations of cinephiles and movie lovers, old and new. Numerous celebrated and award-winning actors, directors and cinematographers continue to live on in our films. Examples range from the ill-fated romance of Letter from an Unknown Woman, (1948, Director Max Ophüls) to the chilling representation of American crime syndicates in the film noirs Force of Evil (starring John Garfield) and Joseph H. Lewis’ The Big Combo to the epitome of theatrical story-telling in Orson Welles’ Macbeth and Otto Premingers’ Saint Joan (starring Jean Seberg) - all representative of some of Hollywood’s finest contributors.

Iconic genre actors like Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing (Horror Express), British punk era zombies in Don Sharp’s stylized 1970s cult film Psychomania, suave frontier men like Randolph Scott (Canadian Pacific), Joel McCrea (Four Faces West) and John Wayne, resolute war heroes like Robert Mitchum (The Story of G.I. Joe) or Kirk Douglas (The Heroes of Telemark) - and the equally mesmerizing women, pitched against incredible odds - like Ingrid Bergman in Lewis Milestone’s Arch of Triumph, Anne Bancroft in Allan Dwan’s The Restless Breed or the still living legend Kim Novak opposite Frank Sinatra’s addicted character in The Man with the Golden Arm - all immortalized across decades of enduring films."

My takeaway is the LACK of action and thier Lack of understanding or awarness to thier paying customers. So I'm not sure if the is their first rodeo into an actual formated release or not, but they sure are acting like it is...that sure is one way to learn, and I patiently hope that they do LEARN and improve. Because right now, the bar is hitting pretty low!!

I think this is definitely their first rodeo. The information above only talks about "acquiring classic film properties" and "Ignite continues to restore and upgrade its collection" with no mention at all of disc releases. If you Google them, the only release that comes up in the search is Invaders from Mars.
Acqusition and theatrical distribution are VERY different beasts from the home video market. There's a reason why the studios have divisions that handle this part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks