Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
An aversion to people carrying torches toward the castle.
Boris Karloff Film GIF by hoppip

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
At this point, the lack of communication starts to suggest a lack of funds. Upfront payments were taken as a probable necessity. That is common for a fledgling company in order to get a first item produced.
I'm guessing they didn't get close to the cost of turning on the production machinery. Being caught in natural fear from such a dilemma would warrant such silence...always hoping needed funds will materialize.
In the early 90's I put money on a spectacular miniature model of George Pal's Time Machine. The lights and motion were computer controlled, and it was milled from jeweler quality brass components.
I went through a lot to receive one of the 50 that had been secured with substantial payments. There were alluring articles in magazines and impressive mailings with photos showing construction progress sent out regularly to those invested.
After more that a year of hoping for the best, I arranged a rendezvous during a London business trip. It was a great evening with the 2 very sincere entrepreneurs. Most importantly...they presented me with one of their amazing machines. During dinner, one of the wives spilled the beans...the cost of production for the first (and I believe only 3 delivered) was ten times the asking price!
While I was lucky due to unrelenting persistence, the majority of investors were left out with disappointment.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Just one of several reasons why I never ever pre-order or purchase discs that have not been released (anymore). I quite understand that the majority of companies follow through on announced releases and release dates. Situations like the IFM are fortunately a rarity. But many years ago, I ordered a disc that eventually got canceled and it was a bitch getting my money back.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Just one of several reasons why I never ever pre-order or purchase discs that have not been released (anymore). I quite understand that the majority of companies follow through on announced releases and release dates. Situations like the IFM are fortunately a rarity. But many years ago, I ordered a disc that eventually got canceled and it was a bitch getting my money back.
One exception: 3-D Film Archive's Kickstarters are consistent.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
At this point, the lack of communication starts to suggest a lack of funds. Upfront payments were taken as a probable necessity. That is common for a fledgling company in order to get a first item produced.
I'm guessing they didn't get close to the cost of turning on the production machinery. Being caught in natural fear from such a dilemma would warrant such silence...always hoping needed funds will materialize.
In the early 90's I put money on a spectacular miniature model of George Pal's Time Machine. The lights and motion were computer controlled, and it was milled from jeweler quality brass components.
I went through a lot to receive one of the 50 that had been secured with substantial payments. There were alluring articles in magazines and impressive mailings with photos showing construction progress sent out regularly to those invested.
After more that a year of hoping for the best, I arranged a rendezvous during a London business trip. It was a great evening with the 2 very sincere entrepreneurs. Most importantly...they presented me with one of their amazing machines. During dinner, one of the wives spilled the beans...the cost of production for the first (and I believe only 3 delivered) was ten times the asking price!
While I was lucky due to unrelenting persistence, the majority of investors were left out with disappointment.
From what I understand it's a major technical dilemma with the
production of discs via trusted vendors.

That would be easy for them to explain, but the fact that no one is communicating sends the wrong message.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I’m alright with a delay for circumstances beyond the control of a novice team who may not have known the dynamics or pitfalls of disc production in these fraught times. But regular updates are in order. Yes, there was one fairly recently, but status estimates, even if unknown for precise timing, should be the least offered. And a concern at this stage is whether the preorder funds received are in an escrow account somewhere awaiting disbursement in stages once production eventually ramps up. Reassurances from crypto websites haven’t proved very accurate or reliable of late, but no one saw this welcome remastering and release remotely as a possible Ponzi scheme. No doubt the production team didn’t either, so it would behoove them to avoid restless customers who in fairness just want the film in hand and for all to benefit on both sides of the equation.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have been getting those shipping update emails - the last one was 11/4 where they talk about the big studios getting preferential treatment. They probably have nothing new to add, but I'm sure we will get the product in early 2023 after the big studios' releases cool off.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have been getting those shipping update emails - the last one was 11/4 where they talk about the big studios getting preferential treatment. They probably have nothing new to add, but I'm sure we will get the product in early 2023 after the big studios' releases cool off.
What they have to add is that there's nothing new to add, but we're keeping you (the customer) in the loop anyway. I don't understand why they can't manage to get it through their thick heads that COMMUNICATION in a situation like this is vital. As has been said many times in this thread, it's not rocket science. Your customers are already restless and unhappy due to delay after delay and poor, untimely updates, SO KEEP US UPDATED, EVEN IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NEW TO REPORT! At this point, a regular weekly email from Ignite is long, LONG overdue.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
What they have to add is that there's nothing new to add, but we're keeping you (the customer) in the loop anyway. I don't understand why they can't manage to get it through their thick heads that COMMUNICATION in a situation like this is vital. As has been said many times in this thread, it's not rocket science. Your customers are already restless and unhappy due to delay after delay and poor, untimely updates, SO KEEP US UPDATED, EVEN IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NEW TO REPORT! At this point, a regular weekly email from Ignite is long, LONG overdue.
So you're saying they should send an email with Shipping Update in the subject field, with "Nothing new to report" in the body ?
Sure that makes perfect sense! :D

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
So you're saying they should send an email with Shipping Update in the subject field, with "Nothing new to report" in the body ?
Sure that makes perfect sense! :D
No. They can make the subject and message body whatever they feel is appropriate. At this point, ANYTHING is better than silence for weeks at a time.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Scott's restoration work was magnificent and the film has been presented on the big screen several times since TCM in April.
That has nothing whatsoever to do with manufacturing a disc version of McQueen's award worthy effort.

MUFC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Also, is a thread merge possible?
There seem to be two conflicting threads talking the same shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks