What's new
World Wide Stereo

Which receiver for $3000? (1 Viewer)

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin, thats a dead horse on this thread... I hope.

Tim - the typical pro amp has cooling fans to keep the amps cool, which bring the noise floor up within your home unless the amps are installed in another room. Seeing as JorgeG is building a house, this may be but I highly doubt it in his descriptions.

but yes Tim and Drew are right. the used/ebay/audiogon/videogon idea is great. My amps have come from pawn shops and audiogon. used power amps will save money but you need the new fangled options on the current processors to get the sound decoded. whether you get a receiver with pre-outs and power the front 3 with a seperate amp or get a dedicated pre-pro and add 6 channels of power amps to it, the end result will be much better than using a typical receiver. I have never used a B&K receiver but many here claim they have built it right where the pre and the power stages are completely seperate. I will atest to B&K's quality. my 5 channel amp is 10 years old and I love it, I love it I love it.

728x90

JorgeG

Grip
You all have helped me approach this purchase more sensibly now. I am now leaning towards going with the separates, and perhaps going through Audiogon/ebay to buy the higher quality stuff for a reasonable price. My amplifier/electronic components will in fact all be located in my gameroom. I had a custom niche built with all of my wiring (structured cable Cat5, monster cable) behind the wall so all wires come out in 1 place, the tower niche. That way, it will sort of serve as a "central command" station where all of my components will be stacked to keep the look as clean as possible. I was feeling the pressure from a dealer in New Jersey (American Theater) to buy the B&K AVR 507 for "a limited time only" for $2000. After reading the threads and realizing a rushed decision is seldom a good one, I decided to pass for now. Since the house won't be ready till Oct, I don't have the luxury of auditioning these units with my setup. I now understand the importance of good capacitors/well built amps to be able to properly supply good speakers at different impedance levels:D Keep the great threads coming! Any good recommendations out there for a complimentary sub for around $500? Also, any feedback on experiences buying electronics used from Audiogon/E-Bay (i.e. reliability, satisfaction level, etc. ) Thanks all.

Jorge

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
no , it requires more current from the transformer, which translates after all the other meat in the amp to be wattage
.....end quote^^^^^^^^^^
capacitance?...headroom?...all of this is important and don't hang your hat on any one stat!

don't use a rcvr as a pre-amp...the pre-out sections aren't worth a $h(t...don't mismatch amps, it's as bad as mismatched speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks